Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
jim1932

Default Re: Wierd Farmer fixes

My 32 tudor has a doorbell button mounted on the dash to operate the ahooga horn after the one on the steering wheel went south.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
darrylkmc

In the mid. 80's I was building a 1931 Model A Pick-Up from parts. I had just finished rebuilding the Rear-End and I decided to have a look at the rear-end in my Dads '31 Pick-Up. I had driven it probably 40,000 miles including about 4 trips from Fairbanks to Valdez.
Everything looked pretty good until I pulled the pinion. Someone must have messed up the nut that threads on the pinion and didn't have a replacement. They carefully filed all the threads from the nut, wedged it onto the pinion and pounded a nail in the cotter key hole and called it good.
I was able to use a thread file to clean-up the threads and install a new nut on the pinion.
Around here this was likely an old gold miner fix and not a farmer fix.
Darryl
Fairbanks, Alaska
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #23
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

About 30 years ago I bought a 29 rpu from a old guy in NC. He said it allways had a miss. When i got it home and fooling with it I found no# 3 cyl dead no compression took off the head and low and behold no piston or rod just a popular wooden plug whittled out to fit the cylinder bore .......Dave
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Tom Endy

Attached photos of a couple of barn yard fixes.

The 28 banjos, without support gussets, have a tendency to crack around the bearing flange. This one has rebar welded around both sides. The banjo came off a running car that was brought to the U.S. from Argentina. I rebuilt the rear end and replaced the banjo. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out, a great show and tell.

The bell housing has a strange repair to the the clutch release shaft lever.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010552.jpg (91.3 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg P1010554.jpg (48.7 KB, 203 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
oldmanandakid

This thread is too good to let it die. The wire between the taillights on my 30 coupe was a piece of the world's oldest coaxial cable. A front fender brace had been reinforced with rebar welded to the frame and the patch for the rear fender brace was a piece of horseshoe. That good old car her good old farmer weathered the dust bowl in Eastern Colorado. Good for both of them.
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Fred K-OR

This is the front cross member I took out of my coupe. It was an angle iron that as you can see, was welded on the front and went under the spring to hold it sort of in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00001a.jpg (33.6 KB, 100 views)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
montanafordman

I've got a few. Since I got my 31 coupe from my grandfather, who actually was a farmer in Montana I guess they would qualify.

First off, the frame at one time was bent or damaged, and this was the resulting fix:

There was some evidence of collision damage that I'm sure happened before my grandfather aquired the car since it was in my grandpa's garage for 30 years before he restored it and got it on the road. Whether he did the repair I don't know, but the guy he bought it from was also a farmer so there you go!

Now here are the radiator support rods. You can see the end had broken or bent, and was replaced with a welded on peice with different size threads.

Here you can see the steering column had cracked and was welded up with some metal scraps for reinforcement.

Here it looks like my crank pulley had broken and was welded back together.

My grandpa had a AA radiator in his garage and when he found it wouldn't fit the radiator shell it looks like he cut out the top to accomodate the thicker AA radiator which has the filler neck placed slightly farther back.

I saw this picture in an Ebay auction and thought of this thread. It looks like someone put a water spigot in the fuel line to solve a leaky fuel shutoff valve. (For what its worth I had an extra petcock on my fuel line just outside the strainer for the same reason on my car)

While these things can be a source of frustration when fixing an 81+ year old car they can also be entertaining! You can't help but appreciate what sort of use these cars have seen and the hardships they've endured over the years. Some of us are afraid to drive them in the rain yet they were just tools to the generations that originally bought them and saw some hard times and hard use. You can also appreciate the ingenuity of those that did what they could to keep it working, either from a lack of parts, time or lack of money.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief had scars on HIS body, acquired while trying to keep those old jalopies on the road!! Bill W.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #29
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

My dad used a piece of leather on rod bearing instead of babbit metal. It worked.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #30
Ray in La Mesa

"Rusty" our front lawn yard art , was originally an Aug. '28 coupe for 30 years, then a wore out "cut to cowl only "farm truck with a wood bed for another 30 years, then he sat in a field for the last 25 years, has to many farmer fixes and welded iron & pipe pieces on him to count. A few are: 5 big brass rivits on an iron patch over the 6" split in front fender, thick fence wire for a brake rod, connectiong rod steering column support, pull chain switch for ignition,one gallon round top running board can hung under gas tank for fuel as tank is rusted thru top & bottom, and my favorite- one wheel drive- the right rear axle shaft is frozen inside the axle housing so they just took out the axle key and put a big washer behind the nut. He actually still runs & drives but smokes & knocks.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #31
Mendotaman

My tudor had 10-gauge wire throughout... with some traces of the Romex still attached. The bracket between the rear fenders was a hand-shaped piece of square bar stock and the gasket around the rear window was once a bicycle tube. On the bumper mounts, I found more than one washer made from 1/4 inch flat stock. The hood hinge had rusted out on the left side, so he cut out the hinge and installed a piano hinge with a million sheet metal screws. The radiator support rods were threaded stock right off the shelf.

I miss her.
Mendotaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #32
Rusty Homestead Fl

Found out a keyed Model A steering wheel bolts right on an old Massey Ferguson tractor.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
1roger41

I bought a car(vw) and the way they lowered it was by drilling shocks and pounding a3/8 bolt into it to hold the shock in down pos.
1roger41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #34
Pete

I had a 4 door A when I was in college and my girl and I were into drive-in theaters.
It got cold at night in the spring and fall so I gutted all the upholstery from the rear and installed a small wood stove with the stack going out the window through a fitted piece of sheet metal. Worked great.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #35
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I had a 4 door A when I was in college and my girl and I were into drive-in theaters.
It got cold at night in the spring and fall so I gutted all the upholstery from the rear and installed a small wood stove with the stack going out the window through a fitted piece of sheet metal. Worked great.
Pete,
Did it look like "THE CHATANOOGA CHOO CHOO?" & did you have a coffee pot?
Bill W.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #36
Kevin - Illinois

Actually, a pretty good job of brazing :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pulley.jpg (45.9 KB, 54 views)
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Pete,
Did it look like "THE CHATANOOGA CHOO CHOO?" & did you have a coffee pot?
Bill W.
No coffee pot but it did smoke a bit.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #38
wi0v

When I removed the Upholstery, I found it stuffed full of old clothes. Underware, shirts, and sheets. Filled up the hold left by broken springs.
[email protected]
wi0v is offline   Reply With Quote