Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #41
Hal Beatty

Default Re: LeBaron Bonney

I tried to order the interior for my '40 from L-B last November; material was out of stock and they didn't know when they would have any. They wanted 50% payment to keep my order in the works... I passed.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #42
philipswanson

They have always been way too high on their products. You can get the same thing from local sources much cheaper and custom installed. Good riddens LB!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #43
DavidG

philip,
Since I and many others that I know of disagree, you're off base using the word 'always' as it is obviously and patently incorrect. Perhaps you meant to say 'in my experience'.

Last edited by DavidG; 01-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #44
mrtexas

I've tried to get LB on the phone over the last several weeks. Finally got them to check on my order and they said I didn't have an order! Tried again to call and finally ordered on-line. Didn't know which side curtain studs to order so ordered regular and long and will return one set of them. Their phone rings, puts you on hold and then hangs up.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #45
TJ

It's tough to see a company that had such a great reputation having some serious problems. It's certainly no longer the same company that was founded by Lee Atherton. I hope they can turn this around because I have used a lot of their products.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #46
rotorwrench

The company went through a lot of changes since the Atherton brothers started it back in 1938. I would wonder if any Atherton's are even involved anymore. They have added the EZ Boy different quality level and custom stuff trying to stay competitive. Getting into a full parts business was also quite an outlay of funds. When times get tough, things start to change and usually not for the better. It will be interesting to see if they hold up or fold. Nothing stays the same forever in the antique auto business.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #47
Ted Duke

I highly recommend Mike at https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/
Does beautiful work and meets his estimate on time (or better).

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #48
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
philip,
Since I and many others that I know of disagree, you're off base using the word 'always' as it is obviously and patently incorrect. Perhaps you meant to say 'in my experience'.
ALWAYS is correct. LB doesn't make fabric. ALL of these fabrics can be ordered by any competent upholstery shop. Many times you will find even a better match than LB stocks.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #49
Bubsyouruncle

so. now do we go to Mac's because LB is just like Mac's?
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #50
rotorwrench

The Cartouche line of interior kits was purchased by the Mac's company before Ecklers got involved. Mac's is a whole different company now that it's under the Ecklers banner. I wouldn't classify them anything other than similar when comparing them. LB was a good company but hard times & possible management woes can destroy their reputation and business model. If a person wants a kit then you have to go the next available kit fabricator, hire a local trimmer, or purchase your own sewing machine & upholstery tooling & do it yourself. LB didn't make anything for my 51 Mercury Sport Sedans and the helicopters I maintain don't have inexpensive kits either to I was forced to do the latter.

The last broad cloth I purchased from LB was already starting to discolor from age so I go to SMS auto fabrics now. They either make their own or they have it woven somewhere else but they have some good stuff for my Mercs. Vinyl & leather hides can be purchased from other sources.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #51
Kerk

I know that Lee used to go to England & buy at least some of his Materials. Kx
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #52
DavidG

LeBaron Bonney have never required that you use one of their fabrics for their upholstery kits or in-house work. Sometimes better matches to the original materials can be found elsewhere either by the customer or with their assistance. Of the dozen or so jobs they have done for me over the years, at least half of the materials used were furnished by me or came directly from third-party suppliers. At no time was I urged or required to use materials from their inventory on hand, including under the current ownership.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote