Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
ped58

Default Brake floater kit A-2051-F review

I'm thinking of buying this kit sold by Snyder's and other vendors, is it worth doing? Do you have to use the front brake roller track with this set up. thanks

Last edited by ped58; 06-07-2015 at 11:38 AM.
ped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Brake floater kit A-2051-F review

Yes, the tracks, rollers and pins need to be in good shape not worn out.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
160B

I purchased the A-2051-F from Snyder's and in the installation I noticed that the two oval washers are thinner approximately 3/32 than the original washers approximately 5/32. This resulted in a poor alignment with the rollers . See below photos. I am sending them back.

Top original w/o nut, A-2051 with nut, note difference in washer thickness.

Original, note how the rollers seat against the thick washer.

A-2051-F, note how the rollers seat against the thin washer.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

GREAT PICS!!!!!
Bill W.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
The Master Cylinder

The washers in the floater kit I got from Bratton's and the ones I took off both measure .125". Works fine.

Looking at my brakes I'm not really sure I understand what the issue is? The Roller Track and the Wedge is what the rollers ride on and operates the brakes.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 06-09-2015 at 01:27 AM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with The Master Cylinder. The wedge should be touching the rollers when the brakes are adjusted and at rest, and the wedge is the only thing touching the rollers as soon as the brakes are applied.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
The washers in the floater kit I got from Bratton's and the ones I took off both measure .125". Works fine.

Looking at my brakes I'm not really sure I understand what the issue is? The Roller Track and the Wedge is what the rollers ride on and operates the brakes.
In reviewing what this thread is talking about, A handy review would be someone who has installed this kit and see either braking improvement or not! Hopefully now that some time has gone by....... there is some info on the pros and cons of installing this kit! ???
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I got mine from Brattons and they have worked well for me .This type floater floats and centers the lower part of the front shoes . In other words this type floater gives side to side centering for the lower part of the front shoes . Building up or grinding down the brake tracks will center the rest of the shoes within the drums .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

I have been using these "Floating Wedges" for more that 60 years. They have been around almost as long as the Model A has.

They help center the bottom end of the shoes and will provide a small amount of self energization. Not as much as Ted's Floaters but some. They are very simple to install and do help add a little more to the front brakes which is a good thing.

I would recommend them.

My experience.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
daveymc29

I had a set that I put on a Sport Coupe I wish I had back. A fellow gave them to me because he said they chattered on his car. They never did any chattering on mine and the braking was improved enough that I have a set on order for the front of my 31 coupe.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

In my opinion, and having tries a few of the so called floater systems, none are as good as Flathead Ted's. Flathead Ted's brake floaters give unbelievable brake performance because his kit assures that the brake shoes when applied, center on the drums. The brake lining material surfaces makes full contact with the brake drums!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
nick c

what does the sliding pin do when installed in the anchor bolt and then the wedge is installed over it. I just don't see what the pin does if the wedge can slide up and down and side to side.
thanks
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
what does the sliding pin do when installed in the anchor bolt and then the wedge is installed over it. I just don't see what the pin does if the wedge can slide up and down and side to side.
thanks
It basically allows the brake shoes to self center in the drum. The roller tracks must be within original specs for this to work correctly.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
It basically allows the brake shoes to self center in the drum. The roller tracks must be within original specs for this to work correctly.

I agree . On the other hand if the tracks are worn they will need to be built up to overcome the wear . If the shoes are too high and off center the tracks will need to be ground down to overcome the height of the shoes. This is how the upper end of the shoes can be centered . To acurately center the shoes within the drum . Some sort of centering tool will be needed to show which direction the shoes will need to go . The centering tool doesn't actually center the shoes , it only shows the direction that the shoes must go . The floater kit with the pin only gives side to side centering of the lower end of the shoes . The centering process that I have mentioned for the upper end of the shoes doesn't solve the centering issue permantly. After the tracks get a dip worn in , the shoes drop to the level of the worn level of the tracks. When the lining is replaced the up and down centering will be off so much that the drums won't slip back over the shoes. This is when the lower tracks will need to be reworked to once again to center the up and down of the shoes. I've never used Teds brake centering system . I know the shoe connection must be different at the top because the method of adjustment is different . The upper adjustment wedge is no longer used and it is obvious that the system is no longer original .
Old 01-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
thanks

What the pin does as it moves side to side is self energise the brakes as the wedge moves downward . The sliding pin will allow the wedge to slide over to the side with the most slack . The wedge gets wider as it goes downward . The sliding pin allows the wedge and shoes to center as they move down . It is a simple method to center the lower end of the shoes to the brake drum .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 01-30-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typing error -I hit a wrong key .
Old 01-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
Bill G

The set that I got work well, and I made sure the shoes were centered. However, the posts that bolt to the backing plate are probably 1/4 inch shorter than the stock set! This causes the bolt to not be able to be pinned with the cotter pin. In the spring, I will probably get another set. I don't even remember who I got them from, but I think it was Mike's.

For now, I put a lock washer on it and that has held for the little amount of driving I do.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Flat Head Teds replaces the original adjusting wedge with his "Floating Wedge". You adjust the brakes similar to the way you would originally. What you no longer use in Flat Head Teds system is the rollers and roller tracks.

In Flat Head Teds the brakes are rotate and become 'self energizing" similar to more modern cars with drum brakes. I have them on my town Sedan and they work quite well.

http://www.ocmafc.com/techarticles/BrakeFloaters.pdf
Old 01-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
Railcarmover
BANNED

beware junk parts,the guide head was welded on,and crooked.Overall the stud was too short.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
Keith True

I have a set of those that I took out of a car parked in 1941.The owner signed up for the navy the day after Pearl Harbor,and when he got back he didn't want to fool around with his old junk Model A.So,I can date those being around at least back that far.That set does not have a castle nut,but a thin nut and a very thin lock washer.The pins are not round,the best way I can describe them is a double D shape.Two flats and two curved sides.I'm using them in a car right now,I installed them in the 70's.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #20
sofield

I have used a set of these on my Roadster for about three plus years. They are excellent in keeping even ware on the shoes and and centered.
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
wmws
BANNED

Most people don't understand how Flat Head Ted's system works. That is a good explanation in post 17. by Y-Blockhead
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Here is a picture of the floaters I got from Bratton's that I took off of my car. No problem installing the castle nut. Never had a problem with them and I am happy with the way they worked.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
thanks

Here goes again . The anchor bolt isn't as wide as the original anchor bolt. The sliding pin that goes through the anchor bolt is longer than the anchor bolt is wile . this allows the pin to slide , side to side .The slot in the lower wedge contacts the sliding pin rather than the anchor bolt . The sliding pin allows the wedge to center as it moves downward . this gives side to side centering of the lower part of the brake shoes .
Old 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Here goes again . The anchor bolt isn't as wide as the original anchor bolt. The sliding pin that goes through the anchor bolt is longer than the anchor bolt is wile . this allows the pin to slide , side to side .The slot in the lower wedge contacts the sliding pin rather than the anchor bolt . The sliding pin allows the wedge to center as it moves downward . this gives side to side centering of the lower part of the brake shoes .
Exactly...
Old 01-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
Tom Endy

I have had Flat Head Ted's brake floater system on my Victoria for years. The rest of the original brake system should be in good condition before installing the floaters. There are also several tricks that need to be understood as well. For one, the arms that attached to the shoes that have a wedge on the other end were not designed to be in constant movement as they will be with the installation of the floaters. For this reason they should be very smooth, with the protruding seam filed off so they will slide back and forth easily.

Ted did not originally include what he calls "pins" for the back brakes. They were an extra charge. The two pins are a mirror image of each other for left and right. They are an eccentric for the purpose of centering the back shoes. They are difficult to install. What I did was glue a piece of paper to the flat surface and mark each eccentric 1 through 4, so I would know which I was using.

I think what the suppliers are selling is a knock-off of Ted's system. Ted's system is expensive, but it is very well made.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #26
jerry shook

I agree with Bob Flat Head Ted is the best.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

If a person understands the original brakes and can center them they are as good as any . When the lining and tracks wear , its back to the drawing board . With full floating brakes, when the lining wears out you can replace the lining and mostly go on about your business . Teds system doesn't use tracks and you won't have to go back through the centering process . I'm use to the original setup and am not receptive to new tricks . The original setup, looks original . The lower floating wedge setup is a big improvement for the original brakes and doesn't show. I guess it is sometimes difficult to get an old dog to practice new tricks .