Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
jimTN

Default New 40 coupe

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...ntcmp=features

Was assembled right here in Knoxville for these pictures
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
1937pickup

Default Re: New 40 coupe

Thanks-very interesting a cool!!
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
elwood

wow,
my wish list has grown
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
john worden

Sure would be interesting to know the back story in this project.
John
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

I really love these 40 coupes, but I think the 40-41 Pickup was the best looking light pickup ever made. If it was ever reperduced with a modern suspension and drive line. I think it would out sell anything in production now. Chrysler did it with a 37 Ford slant back and had to open two more plants to produce it.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
4tmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by john worden View Post
Sure would be interesting to know the back story in this project.
John
back story repackaged Bob Drake 40
4tmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Gumpy

It states it is manufactured in the usa and now it's a ford licensed product...
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
tiquer

Assembled in U.S.A. but body metal stamped over sea`s . Cost$15,450.00
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquer View Post
Assembled in U.S.A. but body metal stamped over sea`s . Cost$15,450.00
That does not seem like a bad price considering the cost of a 32 three window coupe. Now old frames are going to go up in price. I like the 40 standard and 39 deluxe better but i would settle for a forty. These cars will be like the Model"A". You can by the complete car out of a catalog one piece at a time.

I love my 39 standard two door and I doubt I would sell it to buy this coupe
but a lotto win I would buy one as soon as I could.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I really love these 40 coupes, but I think the 40-41 Pickup was the best looking light pickup ever made. If it was ever reperduced with a modern suspension and drive line. I think it would out sell anything in production now. Chrysler did it with a 37 Ford slant back and had to open two more plants to produce it.
Ron

I agree with you. There use to be one that was red and cruised through McDonalds when I was a small child. I loved that pickup. Some of the older hot rod people remember the truck. The owner was a missile base worker and he left town after the project was completed.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
expavr

No mention of the chassis or running gear. What modern chassis setup does Ford/Carpenter suggest be used to put the body on?
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
No mention of the chassis or running gear. What modern chassis setup does Ford/Carpenter suggest be used to put the body on?
I hope it not a s-10

Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #13
Fibber Mcgee

Someone needs to tell the guy that rolled that coupe a while back about this. How lucky could you be you wreck your 70 year old car and they just happen to start making replacement bodies......perfect.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
Mart

The coupe body looks great. Selling a part licensed by Ford is a bit different than Ford making and selling the part themselves. The headline sounds like ford themselves are building brand new 40's.

But that said, it is a remarkable achievement. Hats off to both Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake who must have both worked very hard and ploughed a lot of money into this project to make it happen.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
296 V8
BANNED

Wow ..... and at a realistic price unlike the robbers at Brookvillain
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
Wow ..... and at a realistic price unlike the robbers at Brookvillain
Nice

If the '40 was made in the states, you know, like Brookvilles, the price would be much higher. 'Course, then you'd be pissin' and moanin' about stuff made offshore.
I give these companies a lot of credit for the investments they made and the products they offer.

Go find a nice original Model "A" or '32 roadster body and then tell us how unrealistic Brookville's prices are.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 10-27-2012 at 10:45 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
296 V8
BANNED

32 roadster came out in 1997 ... They made there tool up investment back long ago.

Realistically what’s a short stack of 18 gage and lets say 80 hours of hand work worth ? …. not 10 grand!!!!!

Old V new argument is weak

Giving them 4 - 5 or 6 grand extra because your grateful may be fine with you but its not for me.
Its people like you that give them all a green light to screw us all.

Last edited by 296 V8; 10-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
sturgis 39

I just went to Dennis Carpenter's website. The price is less without the doors. I can still see about a $45,000 build with primer and no hood or grill. I would go this route if I had a parts car and a job. I think this is great news and I feel Bob Drake should be given a lot of credit too. I thought that Dick Sapporo (sp) might be involved too.

This may lower Brooksville's prices and other 32 and 34 steel body prices. Nothing like good competition and the free market.

I hope somebody will reproduce a stock frame. A forty Ford coupe with a flat head and a banjo! No hood and grill would be my dream car.

I have to go buy a paper and look at the help wanted ads.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 10-27-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
rotorwrench

I lot of the companies that make sheet metal parts here in the USA are like Mack Hills. They only do it because they want to and they also make many other stamped products to pay for the monster presses that are required do the job. The tooling for presses doesn't last forever and the machines that whittle the tooling out are also very expensive. I realize that eventually these machines get paid for but they also wear out. They cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars so they are in no hurry to replace them. Maintenance alone is an expensive operation. Not every stamping comes out perfect either. Some of them crack and some wrinkle to a state that they aren't usable. All this stuff adds up to a great deal of capital outlay to manufacture stamped steel parts. I guarantee that the nay sayers would be asking the same price or more if they had plunked their own capital down to manufacture this type of a low volume product. These companies will lose money if no one buys the product and big time too. If they are lucky they will make a modest profit for all their troubles. These things aren't being made by robotic machines with an output of tens to hundreds a week. I don't know whether they will even sell a thousand of them in a years time. Someone will start having to manufacture frame rails for 35 through 40 models to keep up with demand if they sell a lot of them
I just hope they sell enough of them that I might actually be able to afford one some day.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
Mike in AZ

i "think" you can order those frame rails thru speedway already.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote