Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
Paul Bennett

Default Salem Ford Convention

Tomorrow starts the Western Ford Convention in Salem Oregon. I've considered popping over there but no one has said a word. That plus the $65 fee...perhaps it's not for the the common man. Anyone know if there is a low fee entrance swap meet or car show?
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: Salem Ford Convention

Show up, hang in the parking lots, make friends. A registration is needed for any official event like being a part of the car show or being a swap vendor or attending a banquet.

It may be possible to be added as a guest to someone already registered?

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

Anybody can walk into display areas or concourse to look at cars, same with the swap meet. Registration is only necessary for attendance at sponsored events. I see VT already made this statement. Drive your Merc up and folks will for sure be checking it out in public parking area.
I will have a green 40 woodie on the concourse Wednesday, stop by and say HI!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Newc

Paul; I'll be selling in the Swap and always have an extra chair. stop by Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I would urge you to go and check out the cars and talk to their owners. These meets are club events that are not highly publised to non members, but folks are always welcome to stop in and walk around. You may also want to consider joining the Early Ford V-8 Club. Getting the bimonthly V8 Times Magazine is worth the price of admission in my opinion.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-11-2017 at 04:48 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Frank Miller

Once you attend one of these events as a participant you'll never regret it. Ever.
I have made friends here worth much more than $65 even thought Glenn Sanders comes in at $69. :-)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Newc

Hi all ; Just saw Frank at the intro party. Everyone is having a good time .. good swap meet too. Hard luck may go to a '49 Merc convert that lost its tranny as it arrived at the meet. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
klicker

I'll be there Wednesday. Haven't been to a early v8 event since about 1980 in Washington. (Olympia?)
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Paul, I have to agree with Frank and JM. $65 is really a pretty minimal price. You will not regret it. Then consider the club magazine and it's a pretty good value for your money.

You can walk through the concourse show at no charge. Go and do as Very Tangled says. Check out the cars and owners and put some faces to names that you see here on the ford barn.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
Paul Bennett

Default Color me Sad

Quite disappointed. Drove an hour and found 2 tables, one with license plates and one with fog lights. Maybe I need to drive a whole day to find some parts at a swap meet. Or not.

This surprised me, - of the dozen guys standing around none that is NONE heard of Ford Barn on internet, even though they claim to have old Fords.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:33 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Color me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
Quite disappointed. Drove an hour and found 2 tables, one with license plates and one with fog lights. Maybe I need to drive a whole day to find some parts at a swap meet. Or not.

This surprised me, - of the dozen guys standing around none that is NONE heard of Ford Barn on internet, even though they claim to have old Fords.
That doesn't sound like any EFV-8 Club Meet that I've ever attended, but sometimes when you just walk in on an event like this, you don't know what's going on elsewhere. The swap meets are never huge and after the first couple days, they are pretty much over. Was this Concourse day by any chance?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 AM   #12
fordcragar

Is the swap meet over, or when will it be over? I'm going to be in that area Thursday; which might be too late.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
Frank Miller

It is over and I'm wondering when Paul Bennet showed up? Yesterday the Foundation meeting started early so that is where many headed to. This event does not cater to casual observers but they're welcome to look.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
Seth Swoboda

Swap meets are never big with the exception of Hershey and Carlisle. The internet and forums like this have provided alternative means of selling parts on a 24 hour, 7 day a week schedule. Good, bad or indifferent, that's up to you. Paul if I were at the Western Meet I would have paid your registration because I know you would have had a great time.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote