Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Ed H.

Default EvapoRust

I found my Model A serial #. Will EvapoRust remove enough rust to be able to read the numbers. I can almost read them but not entirely.
Thanks for your input.

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: EvapoRust

If the surface is bare metal and not painted, then why not give it a try. If he frame is painted there, then maybe clean well after, sand and paint over with some Rustoleum rusty metal paint afterwards. Maybe sand and paint afterwards regardless. Did you try tracing over it with paper and the side of a pencil lead?
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
denniskliesen

I wouldn't sand it. Clean your frame as much as possible without removing metal around the area where the stars and numbers are suspected. Get some duct tape and tape around the area enough to lay a towel soaked with evaporust and cover it for a few days. You need to let it have some time to work, patience is your best virtue. Use a small stainless wire brush about the size of a toothbrush, I buy a handful everytime I step in Harbor Freight Tools. It might require several brushings and recovering with the evaporust but eventually you will end up with a rust free area.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Ed H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
I wouldn't sand it. Clean your frame as much as possible without removing metal around the area where the stars and numbers are suspected. Get some duct tape and tape around the area enough to lay a towel soaked with evaporust and cover it for a few days. You need to let it have some time to work, patience is your best virtue. Use a small stainless wire brush about the size of a toothbrush, I buy a handful everytime I step in Harbor Freight Tools. It might require several brushings and recovering with the evaporust but eventually you will end up with a rust free area.
Thank you, that is the info I was looking for. The frame is not painted, I can partially see the number, hoping to pull the rest up.

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Smurkey

I'd suggest a brass brush vs. SS. Softer than the surrounding metal.
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Rex Perry

Sometimes it is possible to take a digital picture of a subject and then enlarge the picture to show hidden details. Might be worth a try.
Rex Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
Wick

Wet your thumb and wipe it over the number. This is what I do on engine and frame numbers.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote