Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
JerseyJim

Default Holley 4000 - Advice Needed

I'm trying to sort through my Holley 4000/Loadomatic distributor issues. I had to replace the double diaphragm advance mechanism on the distributor and I had a couple issues with the Holley 4000 that Pony rebuilt for me. The choke was assembled wrong and was bound up. Sorted that out and got the choke working the way it should and it starts very easily now.

Here's my question... The carb has a bit of a stumble to it. Get on the accelerator and there's a definite hesitation. For warm weather, Ford recommends the shorter stroke on the accelerator pump. Pony assembled it with the pump linkage set up in the winter position. In the summer position, the rod would easily pop out the back. But in the winter position, another piece of linkage is in the way and has to be removed. So before I take all of the linkage apart, I figured I would ask if more of a gasoline squirt could cause the stumble? In theory, will changing it make it better or worse?
JerseyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Holley 4000 - Advice Needed

From what I've heard, Pony does a lousy job on teapots. I can't help you on your problem but there is a guy in PA that does great job on teapots. Mike Suter, 215-757-3678. He actually runs them in on an engine.

Something else you might want to try. Advance the initial timing to about 10 degrees. Sometimes this will fix a hesitation.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
JerseyJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
From what I've heard, Pony does a lousy job on teapots. I can't help you on your problem but there is a guy in PA that does great job on teapots. Mike Suter, 215-757-3678. He actually runs them in on an engine.

Something else you might want to try. Advance the initial timing to about 10 degrees. Sometimes this will fix a hesitation.
Thanks Paul. I've played with the timing all the way up to a slight ping and still have it. The really annoying thing about this accelerator pump linkage is that once the rod is installed in the winter position, the linkage for the secondaries blocks it from being removed. Looks like I'll have to take the carb off and disassemble to get this out and move it. Really poor design. Hate to go all through this and still have the problem.

I have spent a lot of time and effort trying to make this system work properly. I actually have improved it very dramatically. I still work and don't have the time to spend with this. With very few people still around who know how to fix them, sorting these things out is difficult. That's why I've decided to slowly gather up everything I need and convert it to a 57 setup. I predicted that the purists would jump all over me - and they have. But it shouldn't have to be this hard. While I like working on cars. I have five of them. This one costs me
80 percent of my time and is driven the least.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Ole Don

A stumble on hard acceleration usually is a lean spot in the RPM band. The winter squirt position is richer, so that should solve your problem. Often, when people degrade your restored car, they secretly wish it were theirs.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
k1787

I can't imagine how Pony Carb made such a mess of your complete rebuild and are not willing to remedy the problem. Why don't you return the carb to them?
k1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
frank long island

i changed mine with a 62 ford p/u 292 dizzy from autozone came loaded cap/points for $50-60 .and went with an edelbrock 1406 4 bbl runs great still have the old manifold and carb if anyone needs it.
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
JerseyJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1787 View Post
I can't imagine how Pony Carb made such a mess of your complete rebuild and are not willing to remedy the problem. Why don't you return the carb to them?
I've already talked to them about some of this. While they are really nice to deal with before the work is done... There"s a real attitude afterwards if anything isn"t right. Hate to lose the car for the few weeks it would probably take to turn it around. And I was going to avoid having to completely remove it. I"m going to try moving the accelerator linkage to the summer setting and see where that gets me.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
k1787

There is a guy out west that has built carbs for 35 years. His name is Mike Mitchell. He has a great site with a lot of instruction, carb kits, etc. His kits include parts that are obsolete in other kits. If you want to know about rebuilding a teapot search Youtube...Holley 4000 teapot rebuild. Look for the author to be Mike's Carbs. There are 6 or 7 parts showing step by step to completion. There is over an hour of free instruction. Mike's carbs is Mike Mitchell. I bet if you mailed him he would help.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/
k1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
Hoosier Hurricane

If you hold the primary throttle in the wide open position, the accelerator pump link will easily slip out of the hole. John
Hoosier Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
scicala

It sounds like your pretty sure there are no issues with the Load-O-Matic ignition and you are getting correct spark advance.
I have been doing these Holley 4000's (and 2140's) since around 1968
and have learned quite a bit about them. If you are getting a stumble from too much accelerator pump shot, them a breif shot of black smoke out of the tailpipe should be visible when this happens. It's more than likely not enough pump shot causing the hesitation/stumble. With the engine off, and holding the two choke plates wide open, try to look inside and locate the two little brass nozzles where the accel pump shot comes out of. You may even need a mirror. Kind of hard to see with the carb installed. They are short tubes on an angle. You should be able to see a shot of fuel come out of each with the slightest movement of the primary throttle lever. It's possible Pony Carbs installed the pump piston too high (parts from other carbs can do this), and the piston is above the point of sealing the pump bore. This will at least give you a starting point to know what you have now. Wish I was closer to help you out. I've sold these on EBAY and take the time to do them correctly. Never had any complaints. It is arguably the most difficult carb to assemble and assemble correctly. There is a difference between just cleaning and re-assembling with new parts and doing it correctly. Sal Cicala (313) 805-0159.
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
JerseyJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
It sounds like your pretty sure there are no issues with the Load-O-Matic ignition and you are getting correct spark advance.
I have been doing these Holley 4000's (and 2140's) since around 1968
and have learned quite a bit about them. If you are getting a stumble from too much accelerator pump shot, them a breif shot of black smoke out of the tailpipe should be visible when this happens. It's more than likely not enough pump shot causing the hesitation/stumble. With the engine off, and holding the two choke plates wide open, try to look inside and locate the two little brass nozzles where the accel pump shot comes out of. You may even need a mirror. Kind of hard to see with the carb installed. They are short tubes on an angle. You should be able to see a shot of fuel come out of each with the slightest movement of the primary throttle lever. It's possible Pony Carbs installed the pump piston too high (parts from other carbs can do this), and the piston is above the point of sealing the pump bore. This will at least give you a starting point to know what you have now. Wish I was closer to help you out. I've sold these on EBAY and take the time to do them correctly. Never had any complaints. It is arguably the most difficult carb to assemble and assemble correctly. There is a difference between just cleaning and re-assembling with new parts and doing it correctly. Sal Cicala (313) 805-0159.
I was so close on getting this thing to run well that I was hoping the very slight stumble might be the result of the accelerator pump. HOWEVER... The distributor certainly appears to be an issue. We had to replace the vacuum advance double diaphragm assembly and that seemed to fix the lack of advance. A buddy of mine set the timing and I drove it home. It ran progressively worse as I drove it. I put a light on it and it was about 20 degrees retarded. I reset the timing and it ran very well with just the slightest stumble and a slight ping.

Today I drove the car back and forth to work and again it seemed to get a bit worse. I started to experience heavier pinging. Decided to put the light on it again and take out a little more timing. The light showed it to be about 20 degrees advanced. Talked to my buddy and he told me that the same thing happened to him. He set it once and then checked it again later on and the timing had shifted about 20 degrees.

Two questions... What the heck would do this? And the vacuum lines... Normally you disconnect and block when setting the timing... What do you do with the Load O Matic? Do you disconnect both?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
JerseyJim

Bad Pertronix? I'm now wondering whether my timing issue may be my Pertronix.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
parklane

Not trying to steer you to an other website, BUT, go to the YBlocks forever site. A lot of knowledge about everything Y block. Hoosier Huricane that left a comment here knows everything there is to know about this engine.