Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2022, 11:48 AM   #1
kundun

Default Frame - difference 28-29/30-31

Hi,

I think it would be best to get me a new frame for my Phaeton because mine has been modified and "repaired" beyond hope.

Buying a new frame seems not that easy, however.

I'd have the chance to buy a 30-31 frame.

Question:
How much do frames differ from the years? Worth going for the later frame and needing to make it fit?

I know, that handbrake has changed, what else?
thanks,
kundun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Frame - difference 28-29/30-31

Read Steve Plucker's research on the frame differences. WAY too many differences to list here.

http://www.plucks329s.org/frame.htm

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #3
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Why not just buy a reproduction frame. Brookville and Speedway both sell Model A frames. Here in California several hot rod shops sell them as well.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Why not just buy a reproduction frame. Brookville and Speedway both sell Model A frames. Here in California several hot rod shops sell them as well.

David Serrano
David, is the reproduction frame you speak about a replica of an original 1929 frame, -or aren't they a tubing frame with similar dimensions however not suitable for using stock engine and/or brake mounting bracketry.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #5
Keith True

We have to look at his location.I think he is going to have to make do the best he can with what he can find.First though,are you looking to go original to the time period the car was made? Or,do you just need to make the car safe,presentable,and usable.You can make all the frames work,with relatively minor modifications.To make it 'correct'you will have to get it into a little more.Look at Plucks site,you can decide how far you want or need to go.You can add/subtract your brake parts,running board brackets,etc.as needed.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #6
kundun

thanks for the link , Brent

your advice? keep the hands offa 30-31?
Old 01-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #7
kundun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
We have to look at his location.I think he is going to have to make do the best he can with what he can find.First though,are you looking to go original to the time period the car was made? Or,do you just need to make the car safe,presentable,and usable.You can make all the frames work,with relatively minor modifications.To make it 'correct'you will have to get it into a little more.Look at Plucks site,you can decide how far you want or need to go.You can add/subtract your brake parts,running board brackets,etc.as needed.

Correct, I'm truly struggling with finding a suitable frame. More difficult over here than where you are.

It's not for a show car, I want to use it, it shall be functional.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundun View Post
thanks for the link , Brent

your advice? keep the hands off a 30-31?
Not necessarily. Just know the differences between the frames should help you make decisions. Maybe purchase the 30/31 frame to use to repair your frame.

As far as "...modified and 'repaired' beyond hope", if a suitable replacement is not available, then I promise that yours can be repaired. It may not be financially prudent to do so, however I promise with enough time spent, any frame portion can be replicated. Maybe you should post pictures of what the damage is, and then we can offer you suggestions on how this can be achieved.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
Oldbluoval

Agree with Brent
The only ones that I consider unrestorable are those very very deeply(in the southern USA we have high humidity and acidic trees!) pitted with rust or been in a hot fire.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
David, is the reproduction frame you speak about a replica of an original 1929 frame, -or aren't they a tubing frame with similar dimensions however not suitable for using stock engine and/or brake mounting bracketry.
Brent,

I know that the Brookville frame is a replica of an original 1929 frame. Brookville has had most of their products on display at the Grand National Roadster Show at the L.A. Fairplex in Pomona, CA for a number of years. The Show was cancelled the last two years due to COVID but I saw the frames about three years ago.

I don’t know first hand about the Speedway frames but their photos on their website look like they are replicas of the original frames.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The Brookville frames I've seen aren't even close to any form of originality. They are street rod foundations for the most part. They likely do come with origin paperwork for registration purposes though.

The best way to ship a frame is in disassembled form. It reduces the size a good bit but it would have to be riveted back together.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:04 PM   #12
Keith True

The main difference for you is going to be the front crossmember.And,that isn't a big deal.The 28-29 has raised pads for the low profile radiator to mount.The 30-31 has depressed mounting pads for the higher 30-31 radiator.You will just have to shim the radiator up a little bit.Easy to do,and hard to see after.The Brookville frame is the same in size only.They are boxed,and the crossmembers are welded in place,not riveted.A vendor I used to deal with bought several of them.There is no paperwork with them,they are just parts,not a motor vehicle.What do you suppose it costs to mail one of those to Switzerland?
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #13
kundun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
The main difference for you is going to be the front crossmember.And,that isn't a big deal.The 28-29 has raised pads for the low profile radiator to mount.The 30-31 has depressed mounting pads for the higher 30-31 radiator.You will just have to shim the radiator up a little bit.Easy to do,and hard to see after.The Brookville frame is the same in size only.They are boxed,and the crossmembers are welded in place,not riveted.A vendor I used to deal with bought several of them.There is no paperwork with them,they are just parts,not a motor vehicle.What do you suppose it costs to mail one of those to Switzerland?

hard to say, I would need some more information about size and weight. I know someone, who loads containers in NY, so it also needs to be shipped to the harbour in first place (how much would that cost?). But without dimensions its hard to get a cost estimation about shipping cost.