Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
bikemaniac

Smile Ford V8 1-1/2 ton pickup buying guide?

Hi,

I have the opportunity to have a look at a 1936 Ford V8 1-1/2 ton pickup which is for sale. According to the seller the car is in a operating condition with engine running, steering and brakes OK, however in a miserable condition otherwise.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for when inspecting the truck? I had a Ford A myself before so I am used to vehicles from that time.

I just need to make sure that I dont buy a truck that requires major and expensive repairs.

Lucas
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Ford V8 1-1/2 ton pickup buying guide?

Anything in rough shape is a restoration project whether it is just to get it to good driver status or a complete resurrection to original. The 1935 & 36 trucks are very similar with the 1937 getting major updates but these are the only years in the very similar category. The parts are out there but you will have to look harder than you would for some of the other more popular year models. The one thing that will be make it or break it is how complete and original the truck is. The more repairable parts it already has, the easier it will be to fix. If it's missing a majority of parts and has a lot of modifications then it tends to put it into the resto-mod category which is fine if that's what you want.

If it runs, drive it and see if it has any major problems. The engine is an expensive component to need repair or replacement if it's bad. Some trucks don't get much use but some are rode hard & put away wet. It should become apparent pretty quick which category it's in here. Major rust can also be a major problem. Sheet metal for these years are slim to none so hopefully its just has a few holes to patch in the rockers & cab corners.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #3
bikemaniac

Sounds a bit too easy :-)

So the V8 engine does not have the crankshaft rear main sealing problems as the Model A?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

It is the same type of "seal" as model A with the original V8 engine, and if not restored to original tolerances, or if the oil pan is overfilled it can leak too

The original V8 engine could also have poured babbitt mains

With the model A it's not a design problem, it's a restoration to original specifications problem
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
rotorwrench

If this is a European truck, it may have it's original engine or it may have a later engine like the Cologne built G29T engine. There is a lot of water under the bridge for a WWII survivor truck. If it's from USA then we can relate most of the original parts. A lot of trucks here that are that old have 59 series engines or even 8BA engines from the later post war era.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
V12Bill

Did they make a 1 1/2 ton pickup? Usually 1 1/2 ton trucks have dual wheels on the rear, have either a stake body or some other large bed on them.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
bikemaniac

I have talked to the seller and can confirm the truck was imported from USA to Europe 30 years ago. It is not a European version. From looking at the pictures I can see that the car has the early V8 engine with the water hoses mounted on the front of the engine. It also still has the 6V system with the old style generator. It looks really untouched.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
Clem Clement

Jump on it
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Ford used the term Commercial for the 1/2 ton which was built on the passenger car type frame. "Pickup" was an owner added reference. The larger trucks were all identified by wheelbase length, type of bed, and cab placement. There were different model numbers to ID how they came from the factory. Variations in wheels and tires plus use of helper springs gave them more or less gross weight capability. Most trucks used the same transmission, clutch, and the old Timken rear axle in that time frame. They may or may not have dual rear wheels.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemaniac View Post
From looking at the pictures I can see that the car has the early V8 engine with the water hoses mounted on the front of the engine.
Are you referring to the water pumps mounted in the heads? If so an early engine. If the hoses are just at the front of the upper side of the head it would be a later 8ba engine. Sounds like an interesting project.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #11
bikemaniac

A bit off topic: Did the Ford V8 1-1/2 ton truck also come in a version looking like this with a canvas cover and can anyone link to some pictures?

Lucas
Old 12-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford used the term Commercial for the 1/2 ton which was built on the passenger car type frame. "Pickup" was an owner added reference. The larger trucks were all identified by wheelbase length, type of bed, and cab placement. There were different model numbers to ID how they came from the factory. Variations in wheels and tires plus use of helper springs gave them more or less gross weight capability. Most trucks used the same transmission, clutch, and the old Timken rear axle in that time frame. They may or may not have dual rear wheels.

The 1937 parts book under body type shows 67-830 pickup 1936.
I know for the Model A's the cab and box are listed separately, A 1930-31
cab is 82-B and the pickup box is 78-A.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
rotorwrench

If you can imagine any sort of bed type or covering, I'm sure it was made to fit many a Ford truck from that era. Package vans were more expensive than fitting side rails and a custom canvas top. A lot of Depot trucks were set up that way to haul cargo from the train stations to the end user. The Budd Company made all sorts of enclosed carrier or van bodies for the Ford truck chassis types but they would have been an extra expense.

Folks here in the US likely started using the term "pickup" way back in the model T era. The body for an open commercial car (the T bucket) wasn't much different than a roadster body of the day. In the AU and NZ down under, they were utility vehicles so the term "ute" stuck early on.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-21-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #14
alanwoodieman

military trucks had a stake bed with provisions for a canvas top, hooks welded along the bottom rail. My 51 1 1/2 ton army truck had them, what a pain, always catching on your clothes as you worked around the bed
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #15
bikemaniac

I had a look at the truck for sale today. We fired the engine up, A 10 feet test drive but nothing more on the public road.

Everything was OK besides:

1. Carburettor was leaking heavily during operation. Fuel all over the inlet manifold. It stopped as soon as the engine was shut off. The seller said something about the float mechanism.

2. Right window was missing

3. Apparently non of the instruments (speedometer, fuel meter, temp meter etc) were in working condition.

4. No mirrors

5. No wiper and no wiper motor

6. Non of the lights in working condition, but all present - all wiring needs to be done.

7. No exhaust system except for the front pipe - no muffler.

Can anyone comment on these issues, their cost and approx time invested to fix it?

Lucas
Old 12-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #16
ford38v8

Lucas, all those issues are inexpensive and simple to fix, relatively speaking. There are many more issues that could easily show up if you had an opportunity to take it out on the road, which could be costly, however, if the price is in your ballpark, as someone else said, "jump on it!"
Old 12-23-2018, 04:48 AM   #17
47 flatbed

Sounds like a great project. Those things were all the same things my one ton needed. I enjoy driving my truck a lot.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
Licensed to kill

NONE of those "issues" would make me bat an eye (whatever that means). As was mentioned, easily remedied. However, I would not recommend that you "jump on it". That would likely cause a dent. I would buy it though. LOL
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
Nico73

Hi Lukas,
i am actually rebuilding a 1934 Dually Model BB 1 1/2 Ton Truck
Long Wheel base with V8-Flatty.
If you have Time, i am from Hamburg, only 4 Hours away.

And you will get coffee in my Workshop :-))

Have a nice day, Nico
Nico73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #20
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemaniac View Post
I had a look at the truck for sale today. We fired the engine up, A 10 feet test drive but nothing more on the public road.

Everything was OK besides:

1. Carburettor was leaking heavily during operation. Fuel all over the inlet manifold. It stopped as soon as the engine was shut off. The seller said something about the float mechanism.

2. Right window was missing

3. Apparently non of the instruments (speedometer, fuel meter, temp meter etc) were in working condition.

4. No mirrors

5. No wiper and no wiper motor

6. Non of the lights in working condition, but all present - all wiring needs to be done.

7. No exhaust system except for the front pipe - no muffler.

Can anyone comment on these issues, their cost and approx time invested to fix it?

Lucas
I don't see anything there that is a real difficult problem. The window may only be broken with the window channel still inside just needing a replacement glass. Wiring nearly always needs replacement and harnesses may be available in the US from several sources or can be fabricated from a diagram. This may fix the lights. Lights can be repaired if the housings are still usable. The exhaust can be fabricated easily for a truck. Gauges can be repaired or replaced but they may be difficult to find good used ones. Wiper motors & mirrors can be replaced with the best available aftermarket parts or have originals repaired or rebuilt.

Condition of the cab and sheet metal would be the next big concern after the drive line components. It just depends on your resources and capabilities as to whether you want to proceed.