Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
StockyM

Default Model A cross-country migration

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I am purchasing a '29 Model A in Oregon and driving it back to Michigan with a friend. I have never sat in or driven a model A and I'm sure this will be quite the adventure! I have purchased spare parts and had them shipped to the current owner so they will be brought on the trip with me as a false sense of security. Any advice for the journey would be appreciated, and if interested contacts along the way would be nice for the 2,400 mile journey in case we have a breakdown. We will be leaving the 24th of Oct traveling via 26W mostly.
Thanks,
Matt
StockyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
FordTudor1931

Default Re: Model A cross-country migration

Matt,

The idea of driving the Model A across the country is great, but your timing is way off. You will most likely hit snow and ice crossing the Rockies. We just got back from Seattle to Michigan driving and it is a very long drive even in a modern car. I wish you all luck, but time your mountain crossings to the weather reports. It can get nasty and the roads will be closed if it is bad.
FordTudor1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
160B

Here are some questions and food for thought.

What is the condition of the vehicle you purchased?

What is the condition of the brakes and the tires?

What is the longest trip the current owner has driven the vehicle, and when did this trip occur?

You will be driving a vehicle that does not have a heater or window defroster.

You will be driving a vehicle that at best has limited headlights, and tail lights.

Does the vehicle have an overdrive?

You will be driving a vehicle that on a good day you will average 50 miles per hour, you have a 10 gallon gas tank good for 150 to 170 miles between fill ups.

On a good day you will travel 250 miles.

What are your skills and knowledge to set points, time and trouble shoot problems on a Model A Ford.

We made a trip this year from Washington State to Reno NV, 741 miles one way, 3 days each way. So I would say you are looking at a 10 day trip, baring no major problems.

P.S. you will have limited daylight hours

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Check the fluids before you leave, don't drive over 45 MPH, and try to stay off any salted roads. It's a bit late in the season and you'll have to dress for cold weather. Modern or antique, I like to stay in the right lane on multilane roads. I feel it's the safest lane from speeding drivers, and it's easy to pull off in case of a breakdown.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:19 AM   #5
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

You're braver than I am. I was nervous driving my first A around the block. Best of luck.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
Chuck Dempsey

Best of luck and PLEASE keep us posted along the way!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #7
StockyM

I'm not sure he has used the car much more than around town. You are right the timing really sucks, but he wont store the car till spring. Its got 400 miles on the rebuilt engine, transmission, and new radiator. No overdrive. Hydraulic brakes and has been converted to 12volt, also has new wiring harness. As far as setting timing, do you need the cam wrench for the distributor? Seems like its gimmicky. I'm mostly concerned that the mileage I was hoping to achieve is a farce. Seeing your real numbers makes me reconsider. Well I didn't want to trailer it because no one would find that book very interesting about the guy who pulled a car on a trailer. We were planning to film it and put it on THE youtubes, it may just turn out to be a U-Haul promotional video.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
talwrench

We drove 3000 miles to Branson, MO this summer in the near 100' heat. 200 -250 miles per day is about average. I was able to have all the answers to questions in post #3 be fore we ventured out. great list by the way. If u don't know the car condition well before the trip it will be rememberable trip for sure. Good luck on your decision!!
talwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
Corley

Go for it, but not if you are not mechanically inclined. What are the rider's qualifications as well? How hardy are you both. Bring your warm clothing for sure, but if there is no manifold heater, can you get the seller to install one? If no, consider a couple of the small electric heaters for cars, at least you can keep your feet warm with one of those, and a decent alternator should power two of them.

If the current tires are aged out, consider new tires before you start the trip. (About 10 years old is pushing it.) Carry a good Jack and a decent tool set. Make sure your life insurance is paid up! Only kidding on that one.

OR, better yet, rent a storage unit until spring. In fact, I'd bet someone on this forum would have space and store it for you. A car hauler would run around a grand,. Probably cheaper than a uhaul truck and trailer. Plus, the speeds on an open trailer can ruin the As top. Man, you have a lot to consider.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Read up on recommended maintenance. Lube/Oil changes, lubing generator, distributer, etc. This will be required on the road on a trip of 2400 miles. Thoroughly read and understand the owners manual.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

The Nu-Rex Timing Wrench is an acceptable timing procedure, quick and easy which helps when you are on the road. Not as 100% accurate as other ways. The spark retard/advance lever more than adjusts for any very small tolerances using the wrench. The wrench is discussed in the flowing post/string.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...+timing+wrench
Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
Simonpie

I just looked at your route, and the following applies to any winter drive there in any car. Have food, water, and blankets. 26 is a "highway" but out in parts of Utah and Wyoming there is a lot of nothing and your cell phone won't work. Traffic can be really sparse. Be ready to fend for yourself for a while.

Warning aside, I say do it.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #13
Kurt in NJ

Don't forget the steering gear when checking fluid levels
Clean the fuel filters every night till nothing shows---by the end of the trip the fuel tank should be clean
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

Take plenty of extra gas In places you have very long distances between gas stations. Be aware that gas gauges are not very accurate at/below quarter full, especially at below 1/8th tank. Use your trip meter to gauge your gas. And even then realize you mileage will vary depending on if you are on a flat road, foothills/mountains, or bucking a strong wind. In many ways I envy you, a real adventure, I am too much of a scardy cat to do something like this.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
1ton

I love it. Combining the fact that you are fricken nuts and have the balls of a rhinocerous will certainly make this a trip of a lifetime, No, it will not be easy but go for it. And remember, the turtle won the race.
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
Roger Green

Matt, Where in Oregon are you starting? Would you like some company for your first days travel? Would a little Model A driving lesson help? I live just North of Portland and would love to help you get started.
One important item to take is a copy of a national Model A club roster. If you need help along the way, you will be able to call near by club members.
Good luck & have fun!
Random ROG
Roger Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #17
michael a

I think this is fantastic it will be an adventure of a lifetime you know what to check just make sure you have AAA and if something happens along the Route you can always rent a U-Haul truck and trailer keep us posted on your travels

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #18
Benson

Before you start I urge you to read service bulletin page 450 and BE SURE this modification has been CORRECTLY made to the radiator.

MANY new RADIATORS ARE NOT setup correctly!

IF not coolant will be lost rapidly out the overflow tube resulting in over heating.

This time of year if it was me I would seriously consider the use of a trailer or paying a professional to move the car.

There are just too many things which can go wrong and being stuck on the side of the road for a week during a blizzard is just too risky and dangerous.

Above all be sure there is antifreeze of correct strength whether you drive or ship ... many people do not use antifreeze (for various reasons that i WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND ...) and when the car gets to the destination the block and radiator are frozen and maybe cracked.

Last edited by Benson; 10-06-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #19
Ernie Vitucci

Smile Re: Model A cross-country migration

Good Morning...Some humble and yet experienced thoughts...Since Roger Green has offered to help, I would suggest that you arrange for him to make a complete inspection of your new 'A' and see what he feels regarding the condition of the car. The engine is one part, wiring and brakes and front end and steering slack need to be considered. Clean gas tank, good tires and tubes and wheels, radiator, just to mention a few things...While this might be an exciting trip, if the overall condition of the car is not up to snuff...hire a car moving company to bring it to your home and then get it completely ready to do a long trip in the spring...My experience is that the car moving company at $700 or $800 or even a little more will be less than you will spend even if this adventure is reasonably successful. If it is less successful, you might end up spending money on hotels, food, towing and such that could be better spent in getting your 'A'into really good shape if is not in overall good shape now....Enjoy...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #20
Bob C

It would be one thing to attempt this with a couple of model A's BUT with no Model A experience, alone, with an unknown car, this time of year, through areas with no
cell service is nuts. I wish you luck

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #21
abachman3

Please remember that oil changes are generally done at 500 miles, unless the car has been updated with an oil filter... then perhaps as much as 2000 miles.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #22
Dick Steinkamp

I'm all for long distance road tours with a Model A. Our fathers (or grandfathers) did it as a matter of course. I've done several myself. Great experiences!

With that said, you should go into this with your eyes open.

A Model A is probably fairly different from anything you have every driven or maintained. For example...

There is no centrifugal or vacuum advance. You perform this operation yourself depending on speed and engine load with the lever to the left of the steering column. You "double clutch" to shift the non synchro trans. You "dial in" the appropriate air/fuel mixture with the GAV on the passenger side of the fuel tank. Plenty of other "quirks" that add to the romance of the A but can be troublesome until you get competent with them.

The car can go 60MPH, but it's not happy doing it for several days straight (unless it has been rebuilt with insert bearings, a counterbalanced crank, high compression head, etc). 45 is a good road speed. You'll probably average 40 MPH for the trip. 5 hours/day is about all you'll want to spend in the car . So, that is about a 12 day trip. Trust me...after 3 days rattling around inside a Model A, 9 more days isn't going to seem like much fun.

There will be 5 recommended oil changes along the way. You can probably get away with 2-3. Other maintenance will be required. Read all about it here...

http://motormayhem.net/wp-uploads/20...ion-Manual.pdf

If the previous owner has not installed a manifold heater, you'll freeze your butt off this time of year on certain stretches.

Since it sounds like you don't have experience with Model As, and certainly not with this specific car, you may want to hold off with the road trip until you have both. Have the car shipped to you. It is by far less expensive than driving it home even if you have no problems en route. If you do have a few problems (likely) the costs can really add up. Having the car shipped is also less expensive than going after it with a trailer.

Once the car is delivered, dig into it. Learn all you can. Inspect brakes, suspension, steering, engine compression, rod and main clearances, etc. Drive it further and further from your house as you repair things that need it and gain confidence in the car and your knowledge of it.

THEN, next summer, take that long road trip.

When you take that long road trip...either when you pick the car up in Oregon or next summer...please chronicle it here. Daily if possible. It will fun for us to "ride along" with you.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #23
StockyM

Tires are 3 years old. Co-pilot has worked on many cars. Both of us are very mechanically capable but as stated, the A is a new beast to us. I'm already committed to my non-refundable flights so I'm committed to at least get there and stare at it. I planned on changing oil every 1k. I was going to run a synthetic 15w-40 (I hesitate to state this knowing how people are with their oil opinions ) I did plan on some sort of electric heater to keep the window clear. If things go as planned and I can figure a way to post I will. I am currently a flip phone owner and am not sure how to regale you with tales of the road until I get back. Starting in Bend, OR. Thanks for the tips I will be pouring over the links and reading up on maintenance for the car. Got insurance for the car that includes flatbed towing. I got one quote and the price was CRAZY to ship so I didn't look into it more. Prolly should have got some numbers from other places cause $700 sounds like a deal. He is including a pile of repair books and such so if we don't know what to do we can always read. Thanks again for the help and I will more than likely have a few more quandaries before I leave. Will also look into a manifold heater I keep forgetting to do it.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #24
rfitzpatrick

Plz be careful -- and plz post often if you can. Met a couple drove from Chicago to Miami in a Roadster --

Take Care
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #25
J Franklin

Check your car out and take your trip. A model A can drive in snow better than most modern cars. take some rope to wrap around tires as emergency chains. dress warmly and drive moderately. Have fun and allow plenty of time to sight see.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #26
2935ford

Lots of good advice here.
My thought......have a backup plan to get the vehicle home should transporting be required.

Mostly though.......good on you......what an adventure and best of luck!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #27
J Franklin

I doubt 500 mile oil changes are necessary since you are not doing stop and go city driving plus it is modern oil being used.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #28
30 Closed Cab PU

Spent 3 months in Riverton Wyoming for work in the early 80s, fall/winter before Christmas. Winter starts very early, especially above 5000 ft. Most passes are marked as chains or 4 wheel drive required for winter driving. I had a company car with front wheel drive, thought I would not have problem. Started up a minimal pass, started slipping, turned around, ended up praying all the way back down, scared the beejesus out of me, slipping sliding all the way even though I was in low gear. Many times when snow is cleared the plows/blowers do not go down to the pavement, a layer of hard pack snow is left.

Some areas in mountains/foothills/wooded areas are not fenced along the roads and cattle have the right of way It is not uncommon to come around a curve and there are cattle in the road. Dawn/dusk are worse than fall hunting season Wisconsin for animals in the road, Mule Deer, and occasional Elk. Antelope are skittish, usually do not get near roads.

May want to consider having a tow rope or chain, shovel, jumper cables, perhaps a spare battery, road flares, other survival items. Winters are nasty at times, high winds, cold, snow.

Remember that Wyoming population is I believe only about 600,000 people. At night, even during the day, might have to wait a very long time until you see another vehicle, sometimes it is a long ways just to get help.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #29
DGNY

Hardly ever post here...Adventures are the very best.

At minimum, upgrade your AAA coverage for towing. Get car thoroughly checked, brakes, tires, gas tank, radiator, lights. We look forward to your book/video.

Better yet, store and wait till spring - or get hauler and do your "test drive" in spring.
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 AM   #30
Lawrie

The A will do it if you don’t speed the guts out of it,
Mine is basically stock!
We are on the return trip home from the national rally here,it’s about 2700klms each way.
Do a couple of oil changes on the way ,and get a members list from the model A club of America,so you can contact a member if you need help along the way,
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79B42997-90AF-4208-AA36-2243056E84B7.jpg (63.4 KB, 61 views)
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #31
40 Deluxe

People are sure molly-coddled these days! Must have been raised by single mothers, or dads with no sense of adventure. Up through the '50's, cross country trips like this were made in Model A's in all kinds of weather. People thought nothing of it; if all you could afford was a well-used A, that's what you drove. True, tires, tubes, points, coils, generator brushes, etc., were available everywhere but nowadays you carry such with you. No such things as cell phones then, either!
Sounds like you've thought this over and have back-up plans in place. Don't obsess over oil changes. Those old A's back in the day often lived on drain oil. A guy short on funds would just dip into a gas station's used oil tank and be on his way!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
Badpuppy

I'd hate to get stuck along here, even on a good day. Doubt cell service is much good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US26JohnDayRiver.jpg

The road runs along that river for quite a stretch.

I vote for hiring a transport service. Best not climb the high dive before you learn to swim.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #33
30 Closed Cab PU

Here is a site that shows current and forecast Wyoming HWY 26 Highway conditions. Looks like snow. wet, possible ice from freeze thaw, but roads are clear/dry during the day. A lot these are at city /town elevations, not at mount pass elevations.
http://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/W...ctedRoute=US26
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #34
oldman - NorCal

Sounds somewhat similar to how I got my second Model A home except I only had to drive 1100 miles. From my experience I'd recommend the following to someone without any Model A experience:

1. Certainly the old owner knows what you are attempting to do. Hopefully, he will take pity on you and perform a lot of the pre-trip maintenance issues for you so that you don't have to spend days in his garage preparing the car. Don't leave until the car is ready to go. I suggest you prepare a pre trip check off list itemizing the cars systems and share it with the old owner. You might even offer to pay for this service from someone in the Bend area that the current owner recommends if the current owner is hesitant to provide it.

2. Take at least a full day with the current owner and drive around one of the best small towns in America, Bend Oregon. Go out to the volcano at highway speed for the 15 miles or so and climb to the top in low gear. Become proficient at crank starting the car. Once you put on 100 miles or so, you will be as well prepared as possible.

3. With the Model A Club roster of members and phone numbers you have already ordered, find a couple of name on your trip route and contact them before you leave home and explain to them what you are doing. These contacts may be the difference in you making it or not.

When I did this trip, I had every imaginable spare part and tool and needed nothing. Good Luck to you...……..
oldman - NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #35
Tom Wesenberg

A 48 mile trip is nothing, so just think of this as fifty 48 mile trips back to back.

The biggest hazard will most likely be other bad drivers. The fools like to speed and tailgate these days. No one seems to know the rules because they don't know the meaning of merge, yield, and the guy on the right has the right of way. The idiot on the left will pull out every time. Distracted drivers..........don't get me started on that!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #36
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: Model A cross-country migration

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTudor1931 View Post
Matt,

The idea of driving the Model A across the country is great, but your timing is way off. You will most likely hit snow and ice crossing the Rockies. We just got back from Seattle to Michigan driving and it is a very long drive even in a modern car. I wish you all luck, but time your mountain crossings to the weather reports. It can get nasty and the roads will be closed if it is bad.
Sound Advice

Wait until Spring to do your trip

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #37
Redbird

I wish I was doing it with you. A few other items to check: good spare tire, two gallon gas can, jack & tools, Good cell phone, insurance coverage with towing, winter jacket,socks and jeans. Ask when the wheel bearing were last packed. See if you can get a list of members along the way. Everyone is usually ready to help. SLOW moving Triangle on the back. Cars come up on you very fast! HAVE a BLAST!!!!!!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #38
J Franklin

REDBIRD has some good advice, but don't just ask about the lube, do it all before you start off.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #39
Dave in MN

In 1998, I flew down to Las Vegas to look at a "freshly restored" '29 Phaeton with a "newly rebuilt engine" and made a purchase deposit on it. I toyed with the idea of driving it back to Minnesota (1,645 miles) thinking it would be a great adventure. A number of people advised that I don't try it; I eventually took their advice. Six weeks later, with my wife and 16 year old nephew as back-up drivers, I pulled a trailer behind my pickup to retrieve it.
We drove non-stop to Las Vegas, loaded the car and spent one night at a motel to catch up on sleep. We then drove straight home taking turns driving.

When I got home, I unloaded the car from the trailer, checked the tire pressure and engine oil, and drove towards town, 5 miles away, to fill the gas tank. Less than a 1/2 mile from the station the piston in number 4 cylinder seized. It was a bit of a hassle loading it on the trailer to bring it home. I can't imagine the "adventure" I would have had if I had caught a flight to Las Vegas and tried to drive it home. The point of relating my experience, I don't think you should try doing this.

I also sense that you are very determined to embark on this adventure. I seriously hope you make it. If you make it or don't, it will be a 2,400 mile adventure. Good or bad (I hope good), please let us know how it went after you make it home and then let me know when your "Book" is completed. I would like to purchase a copy.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 10-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #40
mhsprecher

Just to add to what Redbird said, check all the tires. Many antique cars have very old tires.

I was amused by a recent story in the one of the club magazines. A guy took a long trip in his woody with old Garfield tires on it. I think he had to replace all the tires on the trip. What was he thinking?
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #41
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Just to add to what Redbird said, check all the tires. Many antique cars have very old tires.

I was amused by a recent story in the one of the club magazines. A guy took a long trip in his woody with old Garfield tires on it. I think he had to replace all the tires on the trip. What was he thinking?
He probably watched "The World's Fastest Indian", then went out and bought a can of black shoe polish!
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #42
jquinlan

In August I drove 6000 miles (total) to retrieve a beautiful 1928 Model 'A' Closed cab pickup. I left from the Tampa area of Florida and drove to Reno pulling an open car hauler trailer. It was a long drive but worth it to be able to spend the day with the very cool man who owned it and his also very cool wife. They drove that Model 'A' on the Alaskan Hwy to Alaska once and also drove it all the way across the United States and back. They restored 34 Model 'A's over the years as a hobby.

After 25 years it's good owning a Model 'A' again. Good luck with your new purchase and looking forward to hearing about your adventure. And welcome to the world of owning a Model 'A'.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #43
WHN

Have the car shipped.

Spend next spring getting to know your new car.

Then you can plan a very nice trip in your Model A. One of hopefully many. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #44
Brian SATX

Any update on this adventure?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #45
Synchro909

Not sure I would want to own a car, Model A included that I didn't feel confident I could drive that far. I understand that the car is new to the OP but his decision to drive it that far shows confidence in his decision to buy that particular car.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #46
Hoovercw

My envy has no measure. Good luck and keep us updated.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #47
StockyM

So here's the latest. My friend made a Facebook page so you can follow along if you're interested since we weren't sure how to update the forum on the road. https://www.facebook.com/Rambling-Ma...ref=your_pages The transmission oil and diff oil were changed today and the wheel bearings packed. We fly out tomorrow night and will begin our journey on the 25th. I joined the American Model A Club but as I am not real savvy on the computer have not found the member roster I was hoping to obtain for contacts along the way. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Will do my best to keep you up to date and will have a full update on my return. Either about the car trip or how much it cost to for the tow and the U-Haul.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #48
StockyM

If the link doesn't work its Rambling Matts Garage.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #49
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockyM View Post
So here's the latest. My friend made a Facebook page so you can follow along if you're interested since we weren't sure how to update the forum on the road. https://www.facebook.com/Rambling-Ma...ref=your_pages The transmission oil and diff oil were changed today and the wheel bearings packed. We fly out tomorrow night and will begin our journey on the 25th. I joined the American Model A Club but as I am not real savvy on the computer have not found the member roster I was hoping to obtain for contacts along the way. Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Will do my best to keep you up to date and will have a full update on my return. Either about the car trip or how much it cost to for the tow and the U-Haul.
Good for you! Down with the naysayers and full speed ahead!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 AM   #50
Bill G

Nay sayer or not, he's got more guts than I do! Good Luck!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #51
Ed in Maine

Get a copy of the Model A Club Directory so that you will have people along the way to help you. Roger is going to get you started, maybe others along the route can be looking for you, maybe a home cooked meal! Good Luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #52
tagroff

Good Luck Matt have liked your page on Facebook to follow along...Enjoy your adventure..

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #53
30 Closed Cab PU

Good luck,

Hopefully someone here can provide you the info on the roster. I know the Model A Restorers Club (MARC) sells their roster for $18 + shipping/handling in the back of their Model A News magazine. I do not know if you have to be a member of the club to purchase.

Final bit of advice. If you have a Moto Meter or Temperature Gauge, you can use a piece of cardboard to partially block the radiator to keep the motor at a decent operating temperature. Will also help giving you some cabin heat if your have a heater.

Am looking forward to reading on results/progress. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #54
30 Closed Cab PU

Here is a link to the Mafca Chapter info, click on the state on the map and you get chapter contact info. Appears they do not have a master national roster list available. perhaps if you contact Mafca or a chapter directly there is a national roster available to Mafca members.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #55
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Here is a link to the Mafca Chapter info, click on the state on the map and you get chapter contact info. Appears they do not have a master national roster list available. perhaps if you contact Mafca or a chapter directly there is a national roster available to Mafca members.
Adding the link

http://www.mafca.com/chapters_list.html
Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #56
P.S.

Thank you for doing the facebook page so we can follow along!

Before you depart, I have a couple of observations:

First, from the picture, it appears as though the motometer has been installed facing the wrong direction. Turn it 180 degrees so the entire thermometer is visible from the driver's seat.

Second, it appears as though rusty coolant has gushed down the front of the apron at least once in the recent past. Check your coolant level often, and consider flushing the cooling system.

Check lug nut tightness several times along your journey.

Good luck. I pray you stay safe.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #57
Big hammer

This reminds me of my first car purchase an A. Only 120 miles from home, a fresh overhauled engine needed to stay below 30mph. 50 miles from the purchase I bounced over a railroad crossing and it just quit dead as a door nail. After a few minutes turned the key back on and it started finished the trip. I had no tools, spare parts, or books and that sudden stoppage had me scared @&$% less. Good Luck and be careful! Must importantly have fun and enjoy!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #58
junk yard kid

I would get one of those slow moving vehicle orange triangle things. Maybe also carry a couple of those compressed fire logs. Just incase its cold on the side of the road.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #59
denniskliesen

Quote:
Yes they have a member list. It's called a "Membership Roster 2016" You will have to call and talk to them and must be a member of MAFCA Their phone number is 562-697-2712 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Pacific time.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #60
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk yard kid View Post
I would get one of those slow moving vehicle orange triangle things. Maybe also carry a couple of those compressed fire logs. Just incase its cold on the side of the road.
It will be a long slow ride if he hangs one of those SMV signs on the back!
Those signs are only for tractors and equipment that don't go over 25 MPH. This is the law in most states. Iowa has raised it to 35 MPH. and some states are considering 40, as tractors are getting faster, I guess. But if you hang an SMV emblem on a car going 40-55, you confuse people and create a dangerous situation!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #61
br9050

I want to wish you guys the best! I bought my first A about 16 months ago and have enjoyed 6k mi in it. I was the same way , had never sat in one let alone drive one! I have always been told to carry extra points, condenser, etc. That must be the good luck charms because it has never left me sitting . The only thing that has ever happened was vapor lock in this summer's heat. Amazing how reliable these cars really are just doing the maintenance. Enjoy and I'll look at facebook for updates

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
br9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #62
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
………………. But if you hang an SMV emblem on a car going 40-55, you confuse people and create a dangerous situation!
If you have a vehicle with an SMV sign and you are travelling more than 25mph you must also have an SIS, (speed identification symbol), sign designating the maximum speed the piece of machinery is designed to operate

Link to SMV information. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/b3/32/b...7130ac2515.jpg

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #63
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
If you have a vehicle with an SMV sign and you are travelling more than 25mph you must also have an SIS, (speed identification symbol), sign designating the maximum speed the piece of machinery is designed to operate

Link to SMV information. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/b3/32/b...7130ac2515.jpg

That is for Ohio only. Each state has its own requirements.

Here is ours (Washington State)

http://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-21-160
Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #64
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
That is for Ohio only. Each state has its own requirements.

Here is ours (Washington State)

http://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-21-160
Dick, I looked at the Washington State web site and it does not address vehicles traveling at a speed greater than 25mph but slower than the speed limit. If you are aware of more information please advise.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #65
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Dick, I looked at the Washington State web site and it does not address vehicles traveling at a speed greater than 25mph but slower than the speed limit. If you are aware of more information please advise.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.427

When driving cross country it can be a real challenge dealing with the differences in the laws of every state.

For example, I know that in Washington, you can only make a U turn when it is marked OK to do so. In California you can make a U turn at any intersection except where it is marked that you can not.

In Ohio, you will need the SIS you refer to. Maybe not in any other state?

I'm contemplating a road trip in my A from Bellingham to San Francisco. Even though I will be staying off the freeways and traveling only during the day, I will probably put a SMV emblem on my spare tire. It may be wrong in some states under some conditions, but it will make me feel a little safer. If I get a ticket and/or have to remove it...so be it.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #66
Synchro909

[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;1689029]http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

When driving cross country it can be a real challenge dealing with the differences in the laws of every state.

Every time I have driven in the US, I'm confused by such law changes from stste to state - and the states are so small! It seems two or three times a day, I had a new set of rules. Why can't they standardise?
Then there's Police and Sherrifs. What is going on there???? They don't even use the same coloured flashing lights, though I think when I was there earlier this year, more were using the international standard red and blue.My ovderall impression - a very fragmented, disjointed system probably made worse by driving on the wrong side of the road.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #67
LarryinWA

Summer of 1961 my buddy and I drove my 29 std coupe from Los Angeles to Grand Rapids, Michigan via Yellowstone and the Badlands in 4 days, no tools and no extra parts!
The next Spring, after our first year of college, we did the return trip after a stop in St Louis, 53 hours non stop, again no tools and no extra parts. We were just dumb college kids having a ball. Still have the car too!!
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #68
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=Synchro909;1689033]
Quote:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

Every time I have driven in the US, I'm confused by such law changes from stste to state - and the states are so small! It seems two or three times a day, I had a new set of rules. Why can't they standardise?
Then there's Police and Sherrifs. What is going on there???? They don't even use the same coloured flashing lights, though I think when I was there earlier this year, more were using the international standard red and blue.My ovderall impression - a very fragmented, disjointed system probably made worse by driving on the wrong side of the road.

Am guessing - probably same issues driving in Europe and the U.K. ? Or perhaps all the European countries have the same rules.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #69
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I would not do that with a Model A that You know nothing about. Most likely you will drive to fast and the engine won't last long. To do that you need a overdrive. Plus its the wrong time of the year to do that. You are making a big mistake doing that. I would trailer the car home and then drive it and check it out. You better think this out. What are you going to do when you break down?
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #70
amodel25

Wink Re: Model A cross-country migration

Then I guess we should keep our "A's at home in a glass case and haul them in an enclosed trailer........ Use the car for what it was intended. Get it out and drive it. I have driven my '31 Town Sedan over 30,000 miles without an overdrive. This includes several road trips including one to Lake Geneva via Manitoba, Canada. Have a safe trip and enjoy. Good luck.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #71
Dick Steinkamp

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1689143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post

Am guessing - probably same issues driving in Europe and the U.K. ? Or perhaps all the European countries have the same rules.
The UK is part of Europe, and is still part of the EU. My experience is that all members of the EU have the same traffic laws. I think the same for the states and territories in Australia and Canada. We like to make things more difficult (in a lot of ways) here in the US.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #72
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;1689206]
Quote:

The UK is part of Europe, and is still part of the EU. My experience is that all members of the EU have the same traffic laws. I think the same for the states and territories in Australia and Canada. We like to make things more difficult (in a lot of ways) here in the US.
Asked, since U.S. and UK drive on opposite sides of the road, thought there may be other major differences. I believe most of the other countries in the EU drive on the right side of of the road? I also believe, not certain, that UK and U.S uses mph and most of the rest of the world use kph?

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 10-25-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Editing mistakes and for readibility.,
Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #73
Dick Steinkamp

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1689214]
Quote:
Asked, since U.S. and UK drive on opposite sides of the road, thought there may be other major differences. I believe most of the other countries in the EU drive on the right side of of the road? I also believe, not certain, that UK and U.S uses mph and most of the rest of the world use kph?
Well, those are certainly major differences. There may be others too.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #74
30 Closed Cab PU

Just checked Facebook, they are on the road but have chosen route 20, which goes through Yellowstone. The Yellowstone site has route 20 closing on November 5th at 8 am for the winter. They should check locally at Idaho Falls for road conditions and which way to go, even if they get there before the 5th. There is a Pass on 26, and a Pass going east from Tetons/Yellowstone. Am not on Facebook, can someone post this info to them on Facebook for me?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #75
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Just checked Facebook, they are on the road but have chosen route 20, which goes through Yellowstone. The Yellowstone site has route 20 closing on November 5th at 8 am for the winter. They should check locally at Idaho Falls for road conditions and which way to go, even if they get there before the 5th. There is a Pass on 26, and a Pass going east from Tetons/Yellowstone. Am not on Facebook, can someone post this info to them on Facebook for me?
Done.

EDIT: The Rambling Matts thanked me for sharing 30 Closed Cab PU's info on FB.

I think I'm the only one responding to their FB posts. It would be great if several of us could follow and encourage them and be there for them if they run into problems or if we can give them some tips like CCPU has done. If you aren't registered on FB it takes about 30 seconds. You can delete your account once they make it safely back to Michigan if you are anti-FB.

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 10-25-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #76
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Done.

EDIT: The Rambling Macks thanked me for sharing 30 Closed Cab PU's info on FB.

I think I'm the only one responding to their FB posts. It would be great if several of us could follow and encourage them and be there for them if they run into problems or if we can give them some tips like CCPU has done. If you aren't registered on FB it takes about 30 seconds. You can delete your account once they make it safely back to Michigan if you are anti-FB.
Thanks Dick, did not know you can cancel a FB account, am definitely anti FB, do not trust them, am concerned about privacy/tracking/selling my data/etc. Not fond of Google for same reasons.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #77
SuperDave

Good Lord! rent a truck and trailer!
Old 10-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #78
Vonn Ditch

Sounds like to me you are ready to roll. I believe it's exactly the same distance from Oregon to Michigan as it was when that Model A was new. Pack some bologna and cheese, pork and beans, Vienna sausage, cold beer, 357 magnum and hit the trail. Gas, oil, and water the old girl up and she'll deliver you safe and sound.
Shit can the cell phone, throw your watch in the ditch, cram your pockets with cash, fire up a doobie and wave good-bye.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #79
figment

Trying to follow on face book but The Rambling Macks will not bring anything up . Have i got it right?
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #80
Hoovercw

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Trying to follow on face book but The Rambling Macks will not bring anything up . Have i got it right?
Rambling matts garage
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #81
30 Closed Cab PU

Posts 47 and 49 have the link to Facebook page
Old 10-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #82
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I would not do that with a Model A that You know nothing about. Most likely you will drive to fast and the engine won't last long. To do that you need a overdrive. Plus its the wrong time of the year to do that. You are making a big mistake doing that. I would trailer the car home and then drive it and check it out. You better think this out. What are you going to do when you break down?
Here is how it was done when men were men, and roads were rare!

Photo from SHORPY.com. Great site to visit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHORPY-8b22005a.preview.jpg (68.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #83
Synchro909

[QUOTE=30 Closed Cab PU;1689214]
Quote:
Until China discovered the car and numbers there shot up, the number of cars LHD and RHD were about the same.
I think the US is the only place on the planet still using imperial measurements. The rest have moved on. Our conversion to metric started in the mid sixties, more than 50 years ago.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #84
31 Woody

Based on the Facebook page they have, they started driving today. The good news is the only problem they posted was a stop to fix the windshield wipers.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #85
rfitzpatrick

31-Woody
Wife said; "He Has Wipers?"
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #86
30 Closed Cab PU

Update this morning

Rambling Matts Garage

On the road, between Boise and Twin Fall Idaho

" Made it to Mountain Home, ID last night. Got up at 6 and did all the chassis lube etc. been driving about an hour gone about 40 miles."
Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #87
wmws
BANNED

If they are going on HWY 20 through Nebraska this week will be nice. No snow until next Friday. West wind all week that will help too.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #88
160B

Looked at their Facebook posting this morning and they spent the night in Mountain Home Idaho, that's 372 miles from Redmond OR (my understanding their starting point), long day in a Model A. Mountain Home Idaho is ~ 50 miles east of Boise.

Link to Facebook posting

https://www.facebook.com/Rambling-Ma...ref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARAWa1LB-ri8P_rwU1JC3Hwz9upGs0R4y5izfA88QchORRm7i9HKK-9XDJJ52tNn9CHv2leuFEI30Tqr4vI6CKpxu95COTj_tJp-Yhi5TLXjCDlMJZD5FrxALxmgeBlyCTBt9_HAO2wpMXDNOdcE4u 1IsEKWuKobX8TLK8KBj90xggSIhxbO9FBwtQfRT38dRcbwWXKL HtL_IN8qh7ikgieGhUSnlI5UdRbTh8mXObctblBQkPw181JU

Link to map of their route

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Redm...43.6155825!3e0

Last edited by 160B; 10-26-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: revised map and starting point
Old 10-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #89
30 Closed Cab PU

Thanks for providing the map. Looks like they are going the Northern route around Yellowstone. If the weather/roads are good and they are lucky Yellowstone would be a great place to see. If they keep up that pace, 5- 6 day trip.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #90
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Looked at their Facebook posting this morning and they spent the night in Mountain Home Idaho, that's 533 miles from Newport OR (my understanding their starting point), long day in a Model A.
It looks to me from their Facebook posts that they started in Redmond, OR (Eastern Oregon...Bend area). Highway 20 goes all the way from Newport to Boston so that may be where you got that.

The posts said they did about 260 miles the 1st day. I think 500 miles a day in a Model A would be inhumane torture!
Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #91
160B

Quote:
It looks to me from their Facebook posts that they started in Redmond, OR (Eastern Oregon...Bend area). Highway 20 goes all the way from Newport to Boston so that may be where you got that.

The posts said they did about 260 miles the 1st day. I think 500 miles a day in a Model A would be inhumane torture!
372 miles from Redmond OR to Mountain Home ID

link to revised route starting in Redmond OR

Old 10-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #92
160B

Quote:
...............….I think 500 miles a day in a Model A would be inhumane torture!
We traveled to Calgary Alberta for the 2003 NWRM and on the way home we drove from Cranbrook BC to Port Orchard WA in one day, 505 miles. It was a looooooong day but not "inhumane torture".

Old 10-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #93
30 Closed Cab PU

Another update

Rambling Matts Garage Unfortunately the lack of power and small issues we’ve encountered with elevation we’ve slightly rerouted to go south and use 84 and come back around to 20 on a further leg of the voyage.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #94
Smooth_One

Go for it! Have fun and bring plenty of food/water and a few spare parts as mentioned above (just in case) Godspeed.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #95
woofa.express

You have some good advice from other owners.
Just one caution. Be sure the journey is not too epic because you may tire of the car by the time you get it home.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #96
denniskliesen

Earlier this year when going to the MAFCA convention and following behind Richard in Anaheim, we stopped twice for meals and to get a 3/4 tank of gas when needed. It was close to 500 miles from my home to Placerville where we stopped for the night. After the convention, we took the same route home from Sparks, NV down to Carson City over to Sacramento stopping before Placerville for about 3 hours and then continuing on to Sacramento and south to Orange County, CA where we both live, I'm a bit further south and that last day of the tour was 630 miles for me and about 25 miles less for Richard. I lost my cam gear before I got home, so I traveled 500 miles that last day. Never trust a laminated fiber gear. Fortunately I have AAA Premiere, free tow up to 200 miles. No complaints from either of us...
Old 10-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #97
30 Closed Cab PU

Update

Rambling Matts Garage

SpSonSsoSredS

· 34 mins ·

Pushing through the night Cheyenne Wyoming or bust, hopefully not bust
Old 10-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #98
160B

Here is a updated map adding Cheyenne, WY the route, 661 miles from Redmond OR.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:17 AM   #99
KansasRick

Text from FaceBook Post Friday Evening at 11:44PM

“Couple small misfortunate events this evening. Sadly the speedometer lost its life this evening so we’ll be forced to rely on gps for speed. Even more sad late some ignorant driver felt like he can give us a little bomb because we were going slow on the highway. Fortunately there is no damage except for a small dent in the package tray. We called 911 and gave them his license plate number but I’m sure nothing will come of that. Thank God everything seems to be OK with the car and we are just fine.”

Best I can tell they are somewhere in Wyoming near Cheyenne. They sound tired. I think they meant the ignorant driver gave them a bump maybe and spell check changed it to bomb.
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 AM   #100
jquinlan

I was thinking by saying bomb they meant the guy chucked something out the window at them and it hit their car. But I'm not sure what they meant about damage to the "package tray". What is a package tray? Maybe the trunk rack and if that's the case then it would mean bump.

But yeah, they did sound weary.

Last edited by jquinlan; 10-27-2018 at 05:28 AM.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #101
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Here is a updated map adding Cheyenne, WY the route, 661 miles from Redmond OR.

See post 93, somewhere around Idaho falls they cut south to I84 instead of going north around Yellowstone. Some type of issues including the A did not have enough power at higher altitude.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #102
30 Closed Cab PU

I am still getting familiar with Facebook, just noticed that they; added quite a bit of coolant in the video, coolant drops on the windshield, some type of issues at a higher elevations, a comment about water being a better coolant, water explosion comment, and even a post in the comments about the radiator burping.

So seems they are running hot? Is this normal/typical for the higher speeds and elevation they are running?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #103
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
See post 93, somewhere around Idaho falls they cut south to I84 instead of going north around Yellowstone. Some type of issues including the A did not have enough power at higher altitude.
I don't see any route south from Idaho Falls to I84. They may have just stayed on 84 when they stopped for the night at Mountain Home. Or looped around on I15 and 191. Something like this...

Another possibility is that they took 20 out of Mountain Home to Idaho Falls, then 26, 89 and 191...

...then hooked up with I80 into Cheyenne.

I wonder if they will go north from Cheyenne and re-hook up with 20?

Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 10-27-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Dick Steinkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #104
Brentwood Bob

GAV adjustment for altitude? Plugged radiator? A learning experience. I would like to be right there with them!
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #105
daveymc29

Get a copy of the mafca roster and keep it with you. Folks along the way may be needed for any number of reasons. Longest trip I have made in a day was Portland to Danville, CA. Other long ones were Danville to San Diego and three days later the reverse. Drove to TX with the longest day a bit over 300 miles, 250 is a great days drive on cross country. I have stayed clear of snow and heavy rain, would layover rather than tackle those conditions. Keep warm and have fun. It will be memorable.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #106
30 Closed Cab PU

North out of Cheyenne, or hook up at Fort Dodge. They do seem to be pushing themselves now, using Interstates. Few details - just guessing.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #107
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
North out of Cheyenne, or hook up at Fort Dodge. They do seem to be pushing themselves now, using Interstates. Few details - just guessing.
I've asked them (on Facebook) for their route out of Mt. Home. Hopefully they can respond.

I'd not be keen on the Interstates for travel in a Model A, but if they are going to run at night that just might be the safest. I'd get one of those red blinky strobes for the rear, however.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #108
Brendan

Quote:
I've asked them (on Facebook) for their route out of Mt. Home. Hopefully they can respond.

I'd not be keen on the Interstates for travel in a Model A, but if they are going to run at night that just might be the safest. I'd get one of those red blinky strobes for the rear, however.
My Roadster can do 55 i don't go on the freeway with it. people drive lake madmen on the freeway

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #109
denniskliesen

Top speed for me without an overdrive was 45-50. With my overdrive I usually go between 57-58, that is GPS claims my speed as.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #110
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
My Roadster can do 55 i don't go on the freeway with it. people drive lake madmen on the freeway
101 through Santa Rosa is a little different than I80 across Wyoming.

There are 580,000 people in the whole state of Wyoming. there are 7,760,000 people just in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #111
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
101 through Santa Rosa is a little different than I80 across Wyoming.

There are 580,000 people in the whole state of Wyoming. there are 7,760,000 people just in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Also, part of I80 speed limit is 80mph, closer to Laramie is 75. If another driver is not paying attention, a Model A at 45 -50 is a hazard to itself. As a previous poster said (posted her or on Facebook, do not remember), a couple of attachable battery night red LED strobes sounds like a good idea.

http://www.whp.dot.state.wy.us/news/...interstate-mil
Old 10-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #112
100IH

Generally the package tray is the horizontal panel just behind the upper seat cushion in a coupe.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #113
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Hi Brendan. To quote you, thus," i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!"

I too cannot spell my way out of a paper bag, and that includes a wet paper bag. Spell Check is my salvation.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #114
Brian SATX

Latest post on FB. They are done. Front end is eating tires and they cannot fix it. They will have the car shipped and they are taking a rental car home. They did give it a good try.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #115
Bob C

You think they could find a alignment shop and check the toe.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #116
denniskliesen

Yeah you'd think. Their tires were probably going to need to be replaced and when they did some checking around and found nobody has them in Casper, Wyoming it was time to give up. Their nearest source for parts would have been Bert's just guessing. In fact if it were I, think I would have given Steve a call and asked for help if I got the car towed down to him. They might have not had enough time.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #117
160B

It will be interesting to find out what the underlying problem with the front end alignment was!!

Old 10-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #118
30 Closed Cab PU

They ended up in Casper, a lot of nothing in eastern Wyoming, and Nebraska/South Dakota. Even with their bad luck, it was goodlucky they had this issue and able to limp into a decent size city.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #119
Chris in WNC

oops.

I posted some excellent advice without noticing the date of the original post.

as Emily Litella always said, "never mind"...…..
Old 10-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #120
oldman - NorCal

Could be nothing wrong with the alignment...…… the last set of Firestones I had were **** , too.
oldman - NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #121
30 Closed Cab PU

Check out their Facebook again, has been updated. Has video of their initial drive/checkout in Oregon, and a hilarious on the road workout video.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #122
wmws
BANNED

I hope they follow up and let us know what happened with the toe in.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #123
StockyM

Thank you all for your support! We made it home safe. Sadly will have to wait for my car to be shipped home. Very exited to tear into it and figure out what went wrong with the toe in. Speedo cable looks like an easy fix. Got in the rental car to come home and was already disappointed in it. We loved the feel of the Model A! I am hooked!!! Cant wait to use it as a daily driver next summer. Im sure I will be hitting you up soon as I do a good once over on the car and repairing. First addressing the toe in and a new seal on the radiator. As you saw rather than going through the overflow it would leak out the top. Motometer was broken will put a new one on. Not sure how the brakes should feel being they were switched to juice brakes but they were real mushy. Not sure if that's an bleeding issue or just the way they are. Also will look into adjusting the steering box if you can. As was commented the steering wheel had tons of play. Unfortunately, I forgot all the books in the car and will have to wait to read up on how to repair. A bit disappointed on the trip ending on what should have been a simple fix. I know we could have made it if we could have fixed the toe in, but was happy with the progress we made and all the great people we met along the way. I took lots of spare tubes and never thought tires would have been an issue. I guess that's the way it works. Will let you know when the car shows up and I get tearing into it. Im sure I will need your help. Also wanted to apologize to those who were willing to help and we never reached out. It was a lot to juggle to keep videos and posting updates and stay at the wheel. We missed some of the contact info and didn't see it until later. It was nice to see that there are an overwhelming amount of good people out there still. It was very encouraging! After this 1100 mile shake down and the ensuing repairs I will gladly take on another adventure and will be much better prepared.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #124
Tom Wesenberg

Should have rented a U Haul truck and brought the Model A home with yourself.

Mushy juice brakes is usually air in the line, but it could also be a poorly mounted master cylinder that flexes when the pedal is pushed. Either way, I'd go back to stock brakes.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #125
Dick Steinkamp

Thanks for letting us ride along on your adventure!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #126
StockyM

We looked into a U-Haul but I couldn't justify $2700. Would have been different if someone would rent a truck with a hitch but none do.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #127
Brentwood Bob

What you did is known as experience. If you didn't bleed the hydraulic system that should be done annually. Good to learn you made it back and the car is in route.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #128
wduprez

My grandfather, Charles Duprez was the NY Times Photographer for the 1908 NY to Paris Race. He was assigned to the Thomas Flyer. The photos of the race you see, from Ny to San Francisco were taken by Charles. The 6 teams left New York City in February and traveled west. They dealt with heavy snow, no roads, no maps, no gas stations, mud and more. If they could travel to Paris with those conditions, YOU can make it easily. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
wduprez is offline   Reply With Quote