Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Mbetti

Default 62 Falcon V8 tranmission?

Installing a 289 in this car.
I would like a Toploader 4 speed for this conversion but I refuse to pay the money for one that I been seeing out there. Is a T10 a good option in this application? Does anyone know the model numbers I should be looking for? At least this gives me some flexibility while looking.

Mike
Mbetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
datac

Default Re: 62 Falcon V8 tranmission?

Given the prices for good toploaders, why not a T5?
datac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Ole Don

Been there, done that. My advice, step up and spend the money for a five speed. There are people on the internet who sell rebuilt World Class guts in a good case with an S10 shifter location. That will make you a happy driver, and add value at resale time.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
datac

For about the same price as a good toploader I bought a Modern Driveline adapter and crossmember and had a WC T5 locally built (custom geared to my specs, even) when I swapped out the 3-sp toploader in my '65 Mustang a few years back. Going from three to five gears completely transformed the car, can't believe I waited so long to do it.

datac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Mbetti

Guess I will look into a T5, assuming it should fit. Thanks.
So does anyone know what kind of specs needed for this car such as input spline, output, etc?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
miker98038

Ole Don said it best. But there’s a lot of T-5’s out there, some great, some not so great. The WC is pretty bulletproof unless you have severe abuse in mind. Meaning really hard launches with a well designed back axle and tires. Short of that, they’re fine.

There quite a number of gear ratios, so focus on the 1st gear and 5th gear. Engine combination, existing rear gears, tire size, all play into this. Once you pick your ratios, any of the supplers should be able to answer questions about the input and output shafts.

I’m a y block guy, and I’ve got a WC T-5 behind one, and a TKO500 behind another. Both stroker motors, one supercharged. I wouldn’t do the TKO again, it’s much larger and heavier, and that car doesn’t have enough tire to hurt a WC T-5. Live and learn.

Properly spec’d out for you engine and use, it’s the best money you’ll spend if you drive the car a lot.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
Mbetti

Thanks. I'm kind of excited about this T5 now. I see a company out there MDL with all kinds of hardware to make this work in an old Falcon.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

The Borg Warner T-10 4sp. trans was the standard 4sp. used in early V8 Falcons and also I think the early Mustangs. while not as strong as the top-loader 4sp. , it will hold up if you do not abuse it from standing starts. since this is going to be a modified car and not a restoration, I would look into the world class T-5 trans that the others have mentioned. here is a link to a web site that has all the info you will need to make a proper selection.
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
rotorwrench

What bell housing pattern does your 289 have? If it's early it will be 5-bolt. If it' late 1966 or later, it will be a 6-bolt pattern. This can throw a wrench in the cog if you want a late transmission with an early type block. If yours is late type then it's that same basic pattern of all the small block Ford types after 1965.

The early T10 is for mild use but the later Super T10 has stronger internals that can take more power. The Super T10 and Ford top loader 4-speeds were produced at the same time for a while to meet demand. They are good 4-speeds but no overdrives. Some of the T5 transmissions are OK for mild use but not set up for high HP. A person has to get to know them to settle on which one will do what you want it to do.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-23-2019 at 02:19 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
Mbetti

I have the later 6 bolt bell. Been researching T5 tranys, just got to find the right one, there's a lot of them.