Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
skeazle

Default Tune up parts

Hey guys I don't know if my car needs a tune up yet but I've had the car 2 years now and I have been wanting to get me some spare points, rotor, condenser and maybe a coil. The main things that could leave me sit. I replaced the plugs last week and I saved the old ones for spares. I would like to check the timing just for the hec of it but maybe I should leave well enough alone. I have never done that before so I'd hate to not be able to get it back to how it was. My question is this, are there better make tune up items than others? Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Tune up parts

Get condensers from A&L( mines over 25 years old)

I use old points(still same ones that were in the car 45 years ago), and have NOS ford
I spent the big bucks for 3X , still same ones 45 years
I just clean the points with diamond stone, lube the cam, occasionally check adjustments---- haven't needed to do much else
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

If it’s running good, just watch the point gap. Over time, it might close up a bit. Do the maintenance and drive it every day. On spare parts, most of us carry an extra carb, and an extra dist., timed to your engine. Keep those plugs. Just clean them from time to time. Don’t replace them, clean them.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
If it’s running good, just watch the point gap. Over time, it might close up a bit. Do the maintenance and drive it every day. On spare parts, most of us carry an extra carb, and an extra dist., timed to your engine. Keep those plugs. Just clean them from time to time. Don’t replace them, clean them.
Why do you carry a spare distributor and carby? What could possibly go so wrong that you need to replace the body of those???? At the most (and I do tours solo of thousands of miles), I carry a set of points, condensor, rotor button, coil and body for the dizzy and an extra air cleaner for the carby. I figure anything more can be fixed on the side of the road or something cobbled together to get me going. The only thing I take as a whole unit is a spare water pump. There are other things, of course (like timing gear) but no other whole accessories at all.
Agree on cleaning the plugs. They last many tens of thousands of miles.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
skeazle

Thanks guys! I'll take your advice. Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Benson

Default Re: Tune up parts- Repro ignition points wear rapidly must be checked

One thing to remember about repro ignition points is that the the rubbing block wears rapidity for first several hundred miles. So you need to check gap and adjust until gap remains the same. After that gap will not need attention. Also your best money spent will be on the A and L condenser if used then
points will burn MUCH less if used as mentioned above.

Last edited by Benson; 08-16-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote