Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
jdupay

Default Horn part question

I started down the path of re-painting my horn since I am painting the rest of the car as part of my "preservation" efforts. Anyway, in taking it apart I found this felt pad under the motor. It looks like maybe an insulator or spacer. I was very careful in removing it, so it is not damaged, but in looking to buy a couple parts to refresh the horn, I noted that no one sells this part. Anyone know what it is? Is it OK to put it back without replacing it. I will have to do some work to make the very small rivets back in place as I don't find those anywhere either.

IMG_1208.JPG
jdupay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
dennis lumbert

Default Re: Horn part question

The felt pad is used to hold oil to lubricate the armature were it rides on the horn housing.You put a few drops of machine oil on the felt as regular horn maintenance.it looks in good shape. Dennis
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

There is also a small round felt that fits over the end of the ADJUST screw. This will fit between the motor frame and cover, and is used to keep dust out. It would probably be a good idea to oil this felt also to help it shed water. This felt is almost always missing, and that's why so many owners don't know it should be there. This is another felt you'll have to cut from a felt pad. I'd say it's about 1/8" thick.

Here's a picture of my original felt. Also note the motor felt that needs to be oiled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horn Adjust Felt.jpg (48.5 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 04-30-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdupay View Post
I started down the path of re-painting my horn since I am painting the rest of the car as part of my "preservation" efforts. Anyway, in taking it apart I found this felt pad under the motor. It looks like maybe an insulator or spacer. I was very careful in removing it, so it is not damaged, but in looking to buy a couple parts to refresh the horn, I noted that no one sells this part. Anyone know what it is? Is it OK to put it back without replacing it. I will have to do some work to make the very small rivets back in place as I don't find those anywhere either.

Attachment 314420
Have you given A and L a call?

A and L Parts Specialties (860)693-0112 or 2620 (Connecticut)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
jdupay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

No first I have heard of them. I will give them a call or maybe just cut the piece I don't have out of some felt material. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:26 PM   #6
jdupay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
There is also a small round felt that fits over the end of the ADJUST screw. This will fit between the motor frame and cover, and is used to keep dust out. It would probably be a good idea to oil this felt also to help it shed water. This felt is almost always missing, and that's why so many owners don't know it should be there. This is another felt you'll have to cut from a felt pad. I'd say it's about 1/8" thick.

Here's a picture of my original felt. Also note the motor felt that needs to be oiled.
Thanks Tom! I learn something every single time I visit the Ford Barn!

Say, while we are on the topics of horns. Is there an "easy" way to get the screen out of the horn or can I have it painted or powder coated with it in place? Seems like taking it out will bend it all up and it will need to be replaced, which also brings to mind the question of how to reinstall it. I am thinking I can mask if off for paint or powder coating but it won't look as nice when done.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Old 04-30-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
denniskliesen

I sandblasted mine myself because it had about an 1/8" of primer and coats of paint. When I chipped some off before starting I noticed a lot of rust so I didn't think it would be worth powder coating. I'm not pleased with how powder coat fades so I just used some black enamel after numerous coats and sanding primer to fill the pits.

denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I painted my horn trumpet with the screen in place because I don't know of any way to install it without scratching the paint.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
denniskliesen

After the first coat dried for a week or more I carefully put it in place without too much scratch damage and gave it 2 more coats with the screen in place.

The problem I had with my horn originally was not only the trumpet piece being rusted, but the diaphragm was severely rusted and warped. I bought a new one from one of the vendors and I could never get it to work. The tip that was riveted to middle was loose and would spin free plus it didn't have a sharp edge to it like the original had. I went to a seminar one weekend that our club had and got help with it, the instructor gave me an original diaphragm and told me the gaskets that are sold from the vendors are not thick enough so we doubled the gaskets on both sides and put it together. Sounds great now.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 05-01-2017 at 12:28 AM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:02 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

When I painted my horn I used the PPG 9000 black, the same as I'm using on my chassis parts and fenders when I paint them. I should have had my blow gun handy to blow through the screen, because some of the holes filled in with paint. I've also seen holes filled with original factory paint, so it isn't a big deal.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
jdupay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

I contacted A and L - no one makes the parts. They had the same advice to cut felt pieces out. They said thickness is about .100. They also said when they do rebuilds they simply cut out circles. Originals we diamond or square on the bottom piece but they just use circles all the way through.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
MNFATS

When it comes to painting your horn and replacing the screen, I have found it easiest to push them forward from the inside with a small ball (a small rubber ball works for me), then do your sanding and painting without the screen in place. Paint the screen by itself after you have formed it into a shallow bowl-like shape and then reinsert from the rear of the horn, again with a small ball. The trick is to push it forward along the trumpet having some friction along the barrel until it "snaps" into place. You will probably need to reform the screen slightly once it is in place to secure it. Scratches along the inside of the of the horn can then be touched up once the screen is in place.
MNFATS is offline   Reply With Quote