Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
columbiA

Default In memory of 'ColumbiA', my Father, Richard Lee

I'm writing on behalf of my Dad, Richard Lee. Everyone on this forum knows him as 'ColumbiA'. I'm sad to have to pass along the news that Dad passed away on Sunday, Oct 13/13 after a brave battle with cancer.

I want everyone to know just how much pleasure this forum gave him. Dad's passion in life was his Model A's, having had 16 of them over the past 60 years, plus numerous other models. There was no greater satisfaction than passing along his vast knowledge to all of you, especially the younger generation.

Although these last few months he has been unable to drive his beloved 1930 'A', he found comfort in reading and responding to your posts - >1700 replies since he joined Ford Barn in 2011.

Dad passed away the same day his Model A was transported via enclosed trailer to its new home with me, his loving daughter, in Alberta, Canada. Dad was happy that his car will be staying in the family and his legacy will remain intact. My Dad and I shared our love of cars and he was proud that his daughter was a 'gear head' just like him.

I've enclosed a copy of the obituary that will be submitted to the Vintage Car Club of Canada, whom he has been a member since the mid 1950's.

Thank you all for making my Dad so happy. As he would say, 'Go out and enjoy your vintage cars!'

I will continue to sign in under 'ColumbiA' to view your responses and ask questions periodically. Dad assured me that the Ford Barn members would be there to support me if I needed any help with the Model A.

Thank you,

Andrea Lee

Walter Richard Lee was born February 7,1938, passed away peacefully after a battle with cancer on October 13, 2013 at the age of 75 with his family by his side. Richard's life was spent in pursuit of his love for collecting and restoring vintage cars, especially Model A's. Along the way he developed lifelong friendships with people who shared his passion. Over a lifetime, people from near and far admired the perfection of his work when his automobiles were on display in car shows and parades. Richard always enjoyed passing on his knowledge to those who shared his interest and could talk for hours about his beloved Model A's. His legacy is on display with two of his vehicles in two car museums in Canada.

"No matter which way you look at it, vintage cars is a grand hobby. And isn't the real test of any effort the pleasure one derives from it? Quote from Richard Lee in newspaper interview dated December 17, 1969.

Richard leaves behind his devoted wife of 44 years Norma, daughter, Andrea, son, Tony and very dear close friends. Although we take great comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering and is now in heaven in the company of those that left before him, we mourn our loss. A man we are proud to have as a Husband and Father will be sorely missed.

The family would like to thank Dr. Biggs, and all the nurses, care aides and staff at Orchard Haven who took such tender and loving care of Richard in his final months.

No service by request. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation in Richard Lee's memory to the South Similkameen Health Center - Orchard Haven Hospice (request that donations be directed to Palliative Care) at 700 3rd Street, Keremeos, BC V0X 1N3.

columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: In memory of 'ColumbiA', my Father, Richard Lee

Thank you for posting this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
700rpm

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father. He was very knowledgeable about the A and always contributed valuable information. We "meet" many fine people on this forum, but columbiA was a man I sincerely wish I had met in person.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
QGolden

Thank you for letting us know, best to you and your family, I am glad that you see fit to remain on this forum, please feel free to ask for any information that you need. Your Dad had told us of his predicament and mentioned that the car would be with you.

Welcome to the Find Barn.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
spdway1

Sorry to hear hear about your Dad and thank you Andrea for the update, often valuable members fade away on here and we never know why. He has helped me out on more than one topic I have posted. Again your Dad is correct that we are here to support you and your family.
R.I.P. Mr. Lee and Thank you Sir.

An Ahooga sent out to you and your family.
Don Sorel Jr.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
DougVieyra

Your father was the type of man that made this a great hobby. Your father was the type of man that made us all a bit richer.
He now joins, Henry & Edsel Ford, Charles Kettering, Alfred Sloan, Will Durant, Louis & Gaston Chevrolet, Fred & Augie Duesenburg, et.al. - so he is in good company and will have a great many friends. R.I.P.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
al's28/33

God keep you in His heart and thank you for being part of our family too!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Pilotdave

Thanks for letting all of us know about your dad's passing, Andrea. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Good for you that you are a 'gearhead' - we'll be looking for your posts on here!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Logan

You're dad was a huge contributor to this website, and his knowledge will missed. We'll all be glad to assist you with questions you may have in the future.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
lookin-backtexas

Andrea:
You have our most sincere condolences on the loss of your Dad. From reading his obituary he sounds like a truly fine man! You are to be commended for becoming a "gearhead" like him - we all hope our children grow up to share our interests in the hobby.

We welcome your participation on the Ford Barn in the future. Please let us know if you have any issues we might be able to help you with.

Thanks for letting us know about your Dad. The Model A Ford hobby is a wonderful "extended family" and we'll be here for you.
Editor of The Restorer magazine, official publication of MAFCA 12 years
Life Member Dallas Model A Ford Club (44 years)
23 year member & founder Lone Star Model A Ford Club
Chairman 35th Model A Ford Texas Tour 1998 (state convention)
Chairman 42nd Model A Ford Texas Tour 2005 (state convention)
Charter Member Ford Model AA Truck Club
If you aren't driving your antique car frequently, you might as well be collecting clocks!!!
lookin-backtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
foxfire42

My prayers go out to you and your family. I owe my love of the Model A to my father and I feel he's with me in spirit whenever I drive mine or tinker on her to keep her on the road. I trust you'll feel him with you too.............

Barbara Jo Birt
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Andrea,
Your fathers posts of advice on this forum were always top notch, as he was no doubt one of the most knowledgable and gentlemanly that participated here. He passed onto us his expertise which will always be accessible through the archives here on the ford barn. I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing but happy that you are able to carry on his legacy of the love of his model A. I know we look foward to helping you should you ever need advice or just do a search and your dad's name will pop up and he will still be there helping you out. Enjoy his car as he will always be shot gunning with you on your cruises.
My sincere condolences to you and your family
Mitch

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-28-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
modeleh

Heartfelt condolences from Vancouver Island. Your father made a very positive impact on this forum in the short time he was on here. One of the great things about a forum like this, is that the information he posted here will live on and help others in the future when they search about a problem that he had previously helped someone else with. There are many members of the vintage car club that have passed away in recent years, and I hate to say it but there are many I know around here that don't have much time left. Not all of the old car guys are savvy with computers, so when they tell you something your only option is to put it in your memory bank and hope it lasts. It is great to have the forum members here who are in their golden years, but weren't afraid to learn how to use a computer. Their knowledge will live on here even though they have gone on.
I am glad you are looking after your Dad's car. I got into old cars because of my grandfather and his A roadster. I have several old cars, but the one I am most connected to is Grampa's old car. That personal connection between your father, the car, and you is something that is very special and people who aren't connected to a loved one through an old car just wouldn't understand it. He will be with you for many safe and happy miles in your car.

Last edited by modeleh; 10-15-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: edit: Mitch, we were typing our posts at the same time, and our posts are nearly identical.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
ursus

A someone who placed great value in your father's postings, I share in your loss. Whatever he had to say was matchless and, as always, good as gold. Rest in peace!
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

This comes as quite a shock. Your dad had so much knowledge to share, and he will truely be missed. Though I never met him, except through Fordbarn, he was just like a family member. There was never a doubt that he knew antique cars, and you could take what he said as gospel. I'm thankful that your dad shared what he knew, and I sure will miss him. I'm glad that you will pick up where your dad left off. My prayers are with you and your family.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

So sorry to hear of your fathers passing. He was one of the best ever. I read all of his posts and he had my greatest respect. I will miss reading his posts . May he rest in peace. He will be greatly missed here.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Andrea,
I am deeply saddened by your Dad's passing into a better, perfect, place.
Through MANY personal E-Mails, your Dad was a great help to me through the passing of my dear wife, Pat. He was truly a kind & helpful man. We're praying for you & the family. Bill W.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #18
pat in Santa Cruz

I am saddened to hear of this. I always respected the wisdom he shared with us. I offer my prayers for your family.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
TerryH

Most of us never had a chance to meet you Dad, but through his many posts and your wonderful writing, we all know what a wonderful man, father, and Model A guru he was. Your love and affection for him come shining through, and how wonderful and appropriate it is that you have his favorite car to care for and cherish........a part of him that you can see and appreciate each day. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family in your loss.......please keep in touch with all of your friends here at Fordbarn.
Terry
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
larrys40

Andrea Lee,

My condolences on the passing of your father. Mine passed away last November and I miss him every day.... I just corresponded with your dad a couple of weeks ago about doing a Columbia in an "A"..... sadly...I hadn't finished my correspondence with him....
Not knowing him personally.. only through Fordbarn... he always replied with wisdom and good experience. I can see that he kept his wealth of advise and experiences shared till the end.. A testament to his greatness.
Glad you are to keep the car and continue in his footsteps here.

Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Andrea,

There are really no words that can truly convey our most sincere inner feelings that we would all like to kindly express to your family for your lost loved one.

Your Dad had a special gift to touch the hearts of many that he met; and let us never forget the profound respect that he had for all of us.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
Ross/Kzoo

Condolences to you and your family. As many have said previously I looked forwards to the solutions that your father offered. We all hope that you will continue the correspondence on the Fordbarn that your father started. If you get a new Fordbarn name please somehow include "ColumbiA" in your name.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
Steve Wastler

Always hate to hear of fellow A'ers passing, my condolences to you and your family. So glad you have his car.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Our condolences to you and your family
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
asapguy

Sorry to hear of your dad's passing. If he ever attended any of the Northwest Regional Model A Meets I'm sure I would have met him at one time or another. My wife & I have only missed one NW Reg. Meet in the last 10 yrs. Living just over 100 miles south of BC we have met many great Canadian Model A'rs. Our prayers go out to your family. Perry & Sue
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
1931 flamingo

Prayers going out to you and your family. And your Dad will live on everytime you see his A in your possession.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
Farrell In Vancouver

Shocked and dismayed Andrea.
He was a huge voice on this forum, and I always hoped to meet him in person.
His ability to communicate his knowledge to others was truly remarkable, and only succeeded by his kindness. He will be missed, and you have my deepest condolences.

Last edited by Farrell In Vancouver; 10-18-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
ckulchar

Sorry for your loss.

Charley
ckulchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
montanafordman

Very sorry for your loss. ColumbiA was a model contributor/member on this site. His posts were always constructive, to the point, helpful and polite. I wish I had a chance to meet your dad in person and he will be missed here without a doubt. We look forward to hearing from you in the future and best of luck with your Dad's car! I'm sure it will bring your family years of happiness and great memories - both old and new. I inherited my grandfathers coupe and I think of him all the time when I'm working on it and driving it.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #30
Michael M

My condolences and prayers to you and your family. Perhaps there is some comfort to be found from the outpouring of sympathy and the fond words of so many on this FordBarn.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #31
SAJ

Hello Andrea. On the other side of the world, we are the last to get the news, even though the sun rises here first. I was saddened to hear of your loss, though we did guess he must have been very unwell to let his cherished cars go.
Your Dad helped me many times with specific problems and he was indeed a model contributor/member, being always accurate, succinct and, most importantly, polite and respectful in all his answers. He will be greatly missed on this forum, and he was certainly one of my favorite posters. I always sought out his replies eagerly.
I am so glad you now have his car and look forward to your continued posting on this wonderful forum that we are so lucky to have. Like ColumbiA, I read it every day, since it gives much more pleasure than just a question and answer forum.
Rest in Peace ColumbiA
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
jimalabam

My condolences to you and the family. ColumbiA was a friend to all of us who are on the Ford Barn. He surely will be missed, and we are glad you will continue in his stead. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #33
Don S

This news has come as quite a shock to many of us. I have known Richard for many years of car shows and conversations. On behalf of the members of the South Okanagan chapter of The Vintage Car club of Canada,our deepest condolences to you and your family. I have a nice picture taken in May at our local ice cream shop. Our Model A's are parked side by side. Richard and son Tony are in the picture enjoying an ice cream cone. If I knew how I would post it.I can post it to an e-mail if someone would pm me. Please keep in touch with Fordbarn,your dad would have liked that.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #34
insomniacshotrods

Andrea,
So sorry to hear of your dads passing. Cancer is such a horrible thing, my mother died from it as well. His spirit will live on every time your driving the model a, youll both be grinning ear to ear. God Bless you in this time of loss.
insomniacshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #35
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
This news has come as quite a shock to many of us. I have known Richard for many years of car shows and conversations. On behalf of the members of the South Okanagan chapter of The Vintage Car club of Canada,our deepest condolences to you and your family. I have a nice picture taken in May at our local ice cream shop. Our Model A's are parked side by side. Richard and son Tony are in the picture enjoying an ice cream cone. If I knew how I would post it.I can post it to an e-mail if someone would pm me. Please keep in touch with Fordbarn,your dad would have liked that.
If this works then here are the two pictures Don sent me to post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Richard 1.jpg (85.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Richard 2.jpg (88.9 KB, 70 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #36
Don S

Terry H ,thanks for your offer,but your e-mail address did not work for some reason..Don
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #37
Spooky Two

Andrea,
my condolences go out to you and your family.
Heartfelt condolences.
I remember the first time I met Richard, he darted across a busy highway to wave me down in my A. And then proceeded to tell me ALL about what I had He was "A" true treasure of knowledge.
And at the swap meets, he was someone I always needed to visit with.
He will be missed.

Victor Peters
Osoyoos, B.C.

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” -Jack Lemmon
Spooky Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Very sad to hear about your Dad. I know with all my heart that he was proud and relieved that you were going to continue on with his car. Your Dad was correct that we will always do our best to help those in Model A need.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #39
Russ/40

Thank you for sharing that with us. It's nice to know how much our forum friends add to our daily lives. That should be all of ours goal, to add something positive to the lives of others. Thank you for sharing with us your dad's sentiments. We are great full for his contributions.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #40
columbiA

Thank you all. Dad would have been humbled to read your kind words. Thank you Don for posting the pictures. My family will continue to celebrate his life and legacy each and every day. I miss him so much....

Please send me an email on how to post a picture and I will post some of him with his Model A's.

Dearest thanks,
Andrea
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 AM   #41
Clem Clement

So sorry for your loss. He can now tell Henry what he thinks about the contraption Henry built. We are all better because of your Dad.
May God bless,
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #42
MWV

Hello Andrea,

I am sorry for the loss of your father, Richard.

I've been reading the forum almost daily for some months, since my 18 year old son and I started to restore a 1930 coupe. I can say that, if not for the contributions from good folks like your father, we would never have taken this project on. So far, its been a fantastic and memorable ride.

Please accept my gratitude on his behalf.

Best regards,
Marc
MWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #43
19fifty4

Condolences on the loss of your father. He has been helpful to many people in the past and his knowledge will live on in this forum for people to benefit for years to come.
19fifty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #44
Purdy Swoft

Your dad is greatly missed. I especially missed his input on the Babbitt and antifreeze challenge thread. We shared the same views on most things model A.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote