Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Tacoma Bob

Default Zerks, alamite fittings yada-yada-yada

My car is for all intents and purposes an older restoration. Soooo I have a mish mash of zerks and I believe the original alamite fittings. One day I will get them all the same. Todays big question is that I have one that has fallen out. I bought a package of "modern" zerks and they are still a bit too small for the hole. Do I mic the hole and get a bigger size. And does one use a bottom tap to cut new threads. I can probably beg, borrow or steal and original But what if the hole has been drilled bigger. Would JB hold it???
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Zerks, alamite fittings yada-yada-yada

This may a good place to insert one of your recent quotes " It sounds as if you don't have a clue" end quote,, but,, I wouldn't say such a thing to anyone.. In time, you'll probably figure something out..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Bruce

Whether you use a threaded zerk or a drive in one, JB Weld won't hold in that application . Soon as you try to pump some grease -- or take the grease gun fitting off, that zerk is outathere!
But don't take my word for it. Try it.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
howie123

You need to know what size the hole is. Try different size bolts in both coarse and fine threads to find the size. The new fitting will have to have the same thread. Looking at Bratton's catalog it looks like Ford used 1/8 pipe thread for screw in grease fittings. This may not be standard for modern fittings. It is also possible that someone redrilled and tapped an existing hole in a different size. In any case, take your time with the investigation and you will figure it out.
howie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Keith True

Something I have run into a lot lately is the use of METRIC threads.I bought a bunch of grease fittings from Tractor supply,and if they tightened at all,they didn't fetch up until they hit the hex.They turned out to be metric.I wanted to replenish my Lincoln assortment,that was a bad idea.One of the older parts stores came up with the right parts.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Hey thanks guys, sounds like I'm not too far off the mark. As Howie mentioned I do think somebody was horsing around with a drill. I'll dig through my" fibber mcgee" can of nuts and bolts and go from there. Cheers
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

Threaded Zerks are available in 1/8 NPT (pipe thread) and 1/4 NPT. Pipe threads are tapered and the standard depth is three turns by hand, then wrench tighten. If you can turn a zerk in by hand to anywhere near the hex, it's because someone tapped the hole too deep. I've never heard of Metric pipe threads. They may exist, but I've never encountered them.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Threaded Zerks are available in 1/8 NPT (pipe thread) and 1/4 NPT. Pipe threads are tapered and the standard depth is three turns by hand, then wrench tighten. If you can turn a zerk in by hand to anywhere near the hex, it's because someone tapped the hole too deep. I've never heard of Metric pipe threads. They may exist, but I've never encountered them.
Terry
There are no Metric pipe threads, but there are Metric threaded grease fittings. Here is a link to the many types of grease fittings available. (See the second page for metric sizes).http://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=7zzzik Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/WI View Post
There are no Metric pipe threads, but there are Metric threaded grease fittings. Here is a link to the many types of grease fittings available. (See the second page for metric sizes).http://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-fittings/=7zzzik Don/WI

Don, Thanks for correcting me! I had never encountered the vast amount of available zerk fittings. Although, I had run across some 1/4-28 (I think) years ago. All the others had been in either 1/16" (Rare) 1/8" or 1/4". I still think that most people who convert Mod A to threaded zerks will use 1/8 or 1/4 NPT and those are the main thread sizes that we need to think about. BTW the taps are commonly found in the flea markets in good enough quality to clean up old threads. (After twenty years of looking , I found my first 1/16" NPT tap in a local flea market, Perfect cutting edges, only $0.50) Thanks again!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Keith True

I first discovered metric grease fittings in the early 80's on farm machinery.Fransguard,Kuhn,Kvernland,all had metric fittings.Back then we could not just buy a metric assortment.We had to buy the fittings individually by part number from the makers.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote