Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
spinelll

Default Shocks; Cheap and Expensive

Need an experienced opinion on shocks.

At some point, V8 shocks were installed on my 1930 roadster. While I've been told they're a better shock, they interfere with and put a bend in my rear service brake rods. The typical suppliers have repro shocks for between $110-$150 each. However, they also have shocks for $900 which is out of my league. Have any of you guys installed the $150 repros? Any good?
Thanks
Leo
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Shocks; Cheap and Expensive

A couple years ago I paid $700 for a set of re-pros which are absolute junk.. [Some of the originals were beyond repair].. It appears that the thing to do is purchase a basket full of used originals in the hopes that there may be enough good parts to make some usable ones.. Bill Stipe now makes new ones that are supposed to be of good quailty,, but pricey..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Fred A

Default Where's Leo?

Can't deny that Leo asks a question and gives no clue where he may be located. Many answers for a guy who may need to get his money's worth would be based on where he roams. Coming from the Klondike, that shocks are pretty common at swap meets would not be useful news. But they are common and there is a huge range of condition among those offered at the meets rangeing from useless to needing only a cleaning. Without knowing what a good shock feels like is a real disadvantage. Having done the rebuild thing thirty years ago, don't want to do it again so for now, a functional shock with a slight leak would be good enough for me. Without serious work, frozen shocks are seldom worth the effort. Sometimes they can be lubricated and forced back into service. Loose shaft means heroic rescue needed, also too much work for me. If Leo gets lucky he could find useable shocks for under under $200, cherry picking one at a time, but should be prepared for a lot of rejects except for Ebay where you get a tub full of trash. As grim as this story sounds, it could be better than the repops which few kind words have been written on this forum. I recently sold a repop set with arms for $60 and still felt that the risk be acknoledged by the buyer, then found them offered for $100 on another table without caveat. So.. WHERE ARE YOU LEO? Maybe I should have whispered, it being a secret and all. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
glenn in camino

Keep looking at swapmeets. I bought a set of 4 at a swapmeet for $85 that someone took off a restored car to replace with modern tube shocks. They're all tight and seem to work fine. I should have played the lottery that day too.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
2manycars

You guys in rust-free California have all the gravy. Good shocks here in the north east are hard to come by. I have some rebuilt originals on my tudor, and they have gone sour in only 2 years. My other cars have repro shocks, and they are not too great. I am saving my money for a set of Bill Stipe's new shocks. Pricey, but reportedly top quality.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
DeBordEngineMan

I found mine on Ebay but as you know you have to be careful on there a lot of junk I took a chance and got a good set of rebuilt shocks for 350.00 pleased to get them for this price. Have you ever looked at the modern style shocks? I was going to get a set of them before I found the originals. If it is a driver, modern shocks would do the job and not break the bank. Just thinking out loud, Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
spinelll

I'm in Northern New Jersey.
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Fred A

Default Swap Meet Scene?

I don'/t know the swap scene in the east, but if it is a fraction of the three per month that we enjoy here, chances are good to find an occasional good Model A shock among a majority of junkers. Leo might want to examine some good used shocks to get a sense of what to expect. Additional problem may be that the shocks tend to leak badly when taken out of storage and exercised, having been refilled with new fluid of lower viscosity than the mud inside. Only potential damage is if they freeze up and damage the arms and links. More likely that they get looser. Have fun with it. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Dennis L Oberer

VERY FEW used ones at IOLA and what I saw were rusty junk in 5 gallon buckets.

I know nothing of the cheaper sealed ones that are available but they seem to get lots of bad reports on here.

Bill Stipe is a friend of mine and I have seen what he did and what he put into the CNC equipment to make them.

I have heard that the tubular shocks give a pretty stiff ride and they are not adjustable.

If I EVER need replacement shocks; I will only use Bill's.

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
henry494

Leo, I suggest you continue to look for decent originals at the swaps as suggested in other responses. As far as rebuilding, I can personally vouch for the work performed by Robert Paul in Colorado, 719.478.5102, and John Holland in Ohio330.483.3896. I have had sets of shocks rebuilt by both and they are beautiful. For shipping, I suggest US POstal Flat Rate Box, medium size. It's about $11 each way, up to 70 pounds. Can't beat that.

Dave Lopes
henry494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
Ron in Quincy

Seven members of our A club, including myself, have had original shocks rebuilt by Robert Paul in Yoder, Co. He does an excellant job and stands behind his work. I wouldn't consider having anyone else rebuild my shocks except Mr. Paul. His advertisement is in Model A News (MARC). Forget to mention, one of our members has a late 31 RD PU, no shocks; Robert Paul fixed him up with a complete set of late 31 Shocks. I suggest if you are in need contact MR. Paul.

Ron

Last edited by Ron in Quincy; 07-16-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Additional information
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote