Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
supergnat

Default pop-out switch installation problem - SUCCESS

I am attempting to install an original pop-out switch in my 28 and have a problem. Everything went fine until I I tried to mount the switch in the dash panel. This was the final step. The switch body seems to too big to fit into the round mounting bracket on the rear of the dash panel. Are there different versions of the panel? The mounting bracket appears to be original but after 80 years who really knows. Any help woulf be appreciated since I am unable to start the car as it sits now.
Thanks,
Supergnat

Last edited by supergnat; 07-01-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Fixed problem
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
fordfixer

Default Re: pop-out switch installation problem

There is also differences in the pop out switches, from year to year. You will need the correct one for your car..
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Mitch

A picture of both the switch and instrument panel would help with an answer.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
peters180a/170b

{THIS WAS THE FINAL STEP}? Should of been the first step.. Easy to screw the pop out first on to the dash then speedo and then wires. Send the pop out down the gas tank tube and thru the firewall / term. box. Do the dist. and last the nut on the clamp on your pop out cable to the head.Yes and there are different heads on the pop out.Its a bitch !.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
supergnat

Peters180 A, you are correct. If I had tried to mount the switch initially I would never have proceeded further.

I have attached photos of what I have. When I checked the standards manual I found that probably have a switch for mid 29 or later. The standards manual does not mention the dimension of the actual switch body.

The switch body measures 1.545 inches between the outside edges of the flanges that the screws thread into (not including the screws. The ID of the bracket that the switch slips into is only 1.495 inches in diameter. The switch will not fit into that small opening. I also measured the dash panel for a 31 A which belongs to a friend and it is the switch mounding bracket is the same dimension as mine. I don't know what to do next. I can put the non-popout back in or I could file .020" of each or the protruding switch mounting flanges on the recently acquired pop-out. Oh, I did hook everything up and found that the switch performs perfectly but will not mount in my panel.

What are your thoughts.

Thanks,
Supergnat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable end.jpg (50.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Dash front.jpg (55.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Dash rear.jpg (58.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Switch body.jpg (47.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Jerry Parr WI

Your switch should fit your dash. The pot metal tends to expand as a result of corrosion. The small cracks in the face of the housing would indicate you have some of that. The result is the switch housing will grow from those small cracks. Filing the outer diameter to the correct size is a reasonable thing to do.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Jerry. You have the correct early style popout to be used with the oval speedometer. Did you have the screws removed when you tried to fit it?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Karl

I had trouble installing my (round speedo) 1930 pop out . It would screw up ok but then the panel wouldn't fit back in place . It was a repo panel and I brought an original panel on ebay and then no problems with installation
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
jw hash

I`m thinking the panel could be a reproduction and a lot of them will not except the original pop outs with out some work.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
supergnat

I only installed the mounting screws in the switch so I wouldn't loose them. I tried to fit the switch in the panel with the screws removed. I think my panel is original and the dimensions of the bracket are the same as a panel from a friend's 31. I really want to use it so I will probably file the flanges later today or tomorrow so the switch will slip in the panel. Thanks again for all the help.
Supergnat
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Mike

I have taken a die grinder and removed some material from the dash panel, and the pop fits right in .

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

If i remember you can only install two of them and the third which i believe is the top screw must be put in use a screwdriver that has been magnetize
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
Aerocraft

I believe JW Hash may be correct. I very well could be wrong, but the "flat spot" on the top of the pictured panel appears to be larger than an original part. I just measured three original "nickel" panels and the receiver holes all measured 1.503". You may also find that your panel does not exactly line up with the four mounting holes in the tank. An original panel fits perfectly.

It is also obvious that the pot metal switch has "grown" as indicated by the cracks. It certainly won't hurt to reduce the diameter of your switch. As a purist, I would consider looking for an original panel.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
supergnat

Are there any other wasy to identify a repro panel? This appears to be nickle plated. It was a pain to get in place even when the non-popout switch was installed on the panel but once under the dash overhang the screws line up perfectly. I don't know of anyone near by with an original pop-out that I could measure.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Mitch

I would unscrew the switch from the distributor, file down the switch to fit, fasten to dash, screw distributor onto cable. My view of the picture may not be accurate, but the instrument panel looks OK. My original and repo panels are tucked away in storage or I could tell better. Someone with more experience than me should be able to tell for you sure.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
Are there any other wasy to identify a repro panel? This appears to be nickle plated. It was a pain to get in place even when the non-popout switch was installed on the panel but once under the dash overhang the screws line up perfectly. I don't know of anyone near by with an original pop-out that I could measure.
No repro oval speedometer panel that I've worked with has the bottom holes located correctly. At best I can only install one bottom screw on a repro. I just measured my original 1929 panel and using my thin pocket tape pulled tight across the 2 bottom holes on the ouside of the panel I measure 3 3/4" center of one hole to the center of the other hole.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
supergnat

Default Re: pop-out switch installation problem - SUCCESS

Hi Everyone,
I successfully installed my pop-out. It wasn't easy but it is done. I had to file down the flanges to allow the switch body to fit into the mounting bracket in my dash. I assume the problem was due to swelling of the switch casting since switch mounting bracket on my dash measured the same size as a dash which belongs to a friend of mine. Thanks for your help as usual.
Supergnat
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
700rpm

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Your dash panel looks like an original to me, based on your photos. It has the correct flat top for an early 28.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
al's28/33

The ammeter gauge could use a little rubber silicone just to hold it level so it doesn't spin all catty wompus.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
1931 flamingo

"catty wompus" That's a new one on me.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote