Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Radiator emblems

I need a very good radiator emblem for my 28 special coupe radiator shell. I have noticed a number of reproductions of the blue shell Ford emblems on eBay. Has anyone bought one of these and how is the quality? Would I be wasting my money in buying a repro? Do they fit into the shell hole correctly? I like to used original Ford parts, but it seems like these original emblems are very hard to find in excellent condition. Thanks for any help with this.

Radiator emblem.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radiator emblem.jpg (75.2 KB, 22 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Radiator emblems

If you have a good original there is a lady in California I believe that restores them. I,m sure some one here will post you an address etc. $$$$$$$$
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
SteveM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
If you have a good original there is a lady in California I believe that restores them. I,m sure some one here will post you an address etc. $$$$$$$$
Probably talking about Maxwel Enamels:

http://www.maxwellenamels.com/

Here's a before and after:

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
peters180a/170b

Yep ,Karla M. does [SUPER] work . It could range price from $195.00 /$210.00 depends on the shape of the emblem. TOPSHELF work! If you want a nice emblem Dan Bixby has them once in awhile on ebay [phoncon]. Remember [super to nice] is a big difference.And the price shows it.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
wrndln

I am trying to do two things with this post. First I wanted to know if anyone has used Karla Maxwell's emblem restoration services. Specifically, since she charges time and material, i.e. does it make much of a cost difference in the condition of the emblems you send her? I have 2 emblems, one is in pretty decent condition with the plating not bad (but probably needs refreshing) and just some scratches on the enamel. The second one has a couple of blue enamel pieces missing and a small part of the FORD plating kind of rough. I guess the question I have is: Should I look for a better emblem for the one that is a little rough to save some or a fair amount on any restoration costs?

The second thing I am trying to do is post a full sized picture of the emblems, verses the link or thumbnail which I have done before. I am pasting in link to Photobucket that I hope will put a full sized picture in this message. I am also using the "Manage Attachments" in case the Photobucket paste doesn't work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28 & 29 shell emblems.jpg (77.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Bill Cal.

While were on the subject of emblems. How does a person attach the emblem to the radiator shell? thanks, Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
wrndln

I have not attached an emblem to a shell (replated) for a long time, however I believe that first it must be checked to see the mounting circular part is undamaged, i.e. bentup or deformed. If the mounting part is OK, I think one needs to make sure the emblem is started straight into the shell. Once it is straight, I think the shell with the emblem started into the shell hole should be laid down on a smooth hard surface with a protecting material like outing or other soft material between it and the hard surface. Then using a plastic pipe that just surrounds the hole flange of the radiator shell, gently tap the shell down to seat the emblem. It might not hurt to place a little bonding agent on the back side of the emblem to ensure it doesn't fall off. This is just my thoughts on how to do it, so take it for what it is worth.

BTW, Tom Wesenberg sells a neat and cheap tool to easily and safely removes the emblems from shells. He removed the two emblems in the picture in the previous post in less than 3 minutes with no damage. His tool does not damage the mounting part of the emblem. Be sure, however, to catch the emblem before it falls on the floor once it pops out.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Rusty,
You notice the stepped edge in the top emblem pictured? That's the correct emblem for a 1928. The beveled edge emblem is for later cars. The date chage is in the J/S.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
wrndln

Tom,
I think the stepped edge was pointed out as a 28 when you removed the two emblems at a clinic a few months ago. Next time we meet - side curtain transfer, why don't you bring a remove tool and I will buy it. Did you read the "emblem installation" post I made earlier today? Is that the way you would install an emblem?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Charles Reese

I had a very good restoration experience with Mr. Conway [email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E28 radiator shell-emblem (cr).JPG (33.9 KB, 30 views)
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote