Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
macdonge

Default Headlight Switch Issue

Looking for ideas on a lighting problem with my '30 Std Roadster. I recently rebuilt the steering gear and replaced the light switch while at it. Now, regardless of where I put the lever on the steering wheel (in the parking, low or high beam position), all three filaments come on on both headlights. I suspect the issue must be with the switch. Any similar experiences out there? Thanks!
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Headlight Switch Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonge View Post
Looking for ideas on a lighting problem with my '30 Std Roadster. I recently rebuilt the steering gear and replaced the light switch while at it. Now, regardless of where I put the lever on the steering wheel (in the parking, low or high beam position), all three filaments come on on both headlights. I suspect the issue must be with the switch. Any similar experiences out there? Thanks!
You said you replaced the switch. Did you replace the switch that comes with the complete harness too?

The reason I ask is that the plug ends of the harness that connect to the headlight bucket socket could be all touching each other on one or both connections. Those repop harness ends can be tricky and so can the repop headlight bucket sockets.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
macdonge

Yes, it did include the new harness. We’re on the same wavelength. Today’s plan is to check the headlight connections as you suggest. Yesterday I took the switch apart to check it and couldn’t find anything out of order. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
macdonge

You were right Bill. I tested the voltage readings at the conduit socket plug at each headlight (in park, low & high beam switch positions) and confirmed that the switch wasn't the issue. After a bit of fiddling I finally re-read Les Andrews advice (Vol. I, page 1-217) about ensuring the socket plug overall dimension is 11/16". Must have read that line a half dozen times but never did check it 'til now! Doh! Mine was a good 1/8th inch too long on both plugs so I sanded them to within spec using emery cloth. Bingo! Lights now work as designed! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Bill. Cheers!