Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #61
Gumpy

Default Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

my father in law joe had a 40 mercury coupe in the rear yard of a house I was renting from him...he said if you paint the house i will give you the car....i got it running it was a 50s hot rod with a 49 merc motor...w/ stock carb turned around facing foward,droppped axle and 3 speed on floor....hes on this website and still wrenching at age 70 his handle is JosephCgr......taught me alot great guy!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #62
FOMOCOHOLIC

Just lucky I guess.LOL!.In actuallity growing up my father always had fords and that may be part of the reason.I can vividly remember seeing a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach !as a child (10 yrs old,1977) and falling in love with them.The 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 was the first car that I ever owned.The third reason that I'm a Ford fan is that everone else in the family were mostly GM fans and,of course,I'm the one that always had to go agains't the grain.LOL!>
FOMOCOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #63
Ford406go

Can I chime in here? I know I'm late... but.. DID THEY MAKE ANYTHING ELSE ?
Ford406go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #64
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I started out with a Model A coupe back in 1960 then I had them until 1980 then went to T's till 1990 then V-8. A 33,35,39 50 and a 56. I love them all.Always wanted a 32 and a 40 which I never did have so far.I like my 33 and 39 very much.Here a few pictures of some of my Junkers that what Dad called them.Wife said she calling the junkman when I croak I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11T Parade.jpg (114.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 27Model T Touring Christmas.jpg (71.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 33 Ford 1.jpg (68.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 39,35,33,39 In front of house.jpg (74.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 35 in garage nice.jpg (76.4 KB, 9 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #65
Mike Mayer

When I was born I was brought me home in a 1941 ford club coupe.
It has been a love affair every sense.
Mike Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #66
Bob NH

I once heard a "rumor" that a lot of Ch - - -'s were painted green so they could hide in the grass and watch the Fords roll on by. Do you think thats maybe true ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #67
4d

Ya know I just have to add my two cents. My dad and my older brothers, all drove Fords. I don't think that is why I chose to play with Fords. When I looked at the catalogs, web pages, etc. Ch**** were everywhere. You had to sort thru those parts to find just a couple of the other parts. Or when you go to a show,,all though they are nice, a fella got tired of seeing those bowties. Pick up a magazine, same story, ch**** or ch*** powered. That small block did revolutionize performance, but I wonder what history would have said if the 289 had been introduced in 1955. I've always rooted for the underdog and maybe that is it. Or talk to the real rodder who couldn't buy, but rather fabricated a part. Whatever it was, I am definitely a Ford guy. And there is a feeling deep inside that makes it feel right.
4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #68
Tony Martino

The sound of a flathead Ford V8 thru Smithy's!
Tony Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #69
63.5 Galaxie

I am a Ford guy due to Ch**ys being like belly buttons. I like the look, I like the model names like Galaxie, Mustang, Skyliner, etc. I mean, "What the heck is a Camaro??"
Anyhoo, I am more of a Mercury guy, having a 64 and a 65 Comet, but I love my Fords just as much.
I have had several 63 Galaxies, a very hot 68 Torino GT 390, and a Bronco, along with the Comets.
I have a 63.5 Galaxie 500 right now I am working on, and has been my almost daily driver until last year. I am working on getting it on the road again with new brakes, seat belts, etc.

The biggest thing to make me love Fords though, is probably the talk of my dad's adventures in a little Ford Falcon. Seems the local Sheriff (my grandpa) got into a chase through town one night. It was a Falcon, and was running through yards, high speeds, etc, until he finally lost track of it. Come to find out it was my dad in the car, and it was Grandpa's car...
The other thing is probably the 68 Fairlane that my friend had in high school. We cruised in it a lot, and would have bought it when he sold it, but he jammed a 428 in it, drove it a few times, then sold it when I was in college. Fun times.

I grew up in dad's 70 Maverick Grabber. He had to trade his 70 Chevelle SS396 in for the Maverick. Seems he kept losing the starter, and had to get back home for work, so the SS went away. I still have the Maverick, but it needs everything to get running again. One day I hope to cruise in it with my now 2 year old son.
63.5 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #70
'59Edsel

The Edsel, love at first sight.
'59Edsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #71
Herman Munster

I guess I have been a Ford guy since birth. Both of my parents had Fords (well one was a Mercury). The only cars I remember one grandfather having were a Mercury and a Ford (I eventually inherited it after my parents neglected it for many years). My other grandfather's last car was a Mercury. None of my grandmother's ever drove. My dad still drives a Ford. I've also had many Fords of and on during my 30+ years of car ownership. I only recently came back to owning Ford's after 13 years of not owning one. I don't own a Ford of any real significance currently. One is a '94 F150 and the other an '01 Crown Vic, both V8's. I've always had a nostalgic desire to own a Model T, Model A or some early V8. Maybe one of these days, I will.
Herman Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #72
Bill in Al

My first memory of a car is standing on the floor of an"A" tudor behind my parents and looking out over a green hood. Then of my new baby sister coming home in a '37 tudor "60". My first new car was a 1959 Ranchwagon then a "66" Ranchero bought in Miami where I saw the Shelby Mustang rental cars and heard of the abuse by guys racing them. I've driven Merc. Marquis for the last several decades but sadly no more. My old stuff : '69 F100;'64 Galaxie 500;'41 Tudor and a '30Tudor and ME!!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #73
Mike in Mass

MY DAD for sure grew up with a barn full of them ,the barn is still full ,41 an down I went a-stray with a galaxy craze in my 20,s but its 40 an down now cant wait to drive my 39 pic-up been collecting parts for it ,20 years now going to pull it out of the celler this spring
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #74
gerrald meacham

gm taking my tax money also
gerrald meacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #75

My old man was a Ford guy. He had a collection at one time that contained 13 Fords and 2 'off-breeds' (as he called them). They were a '55 Caddy convertible and a '67 Caddy convertible. Now, before anyone thinks we were rich, the '55 was rough and didn't run. The '67 was in good shape, but he owned it in the 80's, so not so rare then. The Fords were '36 3-window (I still have, Dad's first car), '47 four door deluxe, '53 Crestline Victoria (I still have), '56 Fairlane two door hardtop (I still have), '51 F-1, '69 F-250 (I still have), '66 Mustang (I still have), '51 two-door, '56 Mercury Montclair (I think) and a few others that were really rough.

Dad was a Ford guy. He always wanted a '58 Edsel and never had one. I hope to get a decent one sometime. I have two daughters now that he would have loved being their grandpa. Both of them go to the car shows with me and both of them spend their share of time in my garage with me. I hope to make them Ford girls.
365356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #76
Alex S. L.

Complete chance. I wanted to get rid of my sport-bike last summer after a pretty scary near death experience and a simultaneous change in speeding laws. I went on the local online classifieds and looked in the classic car section to see if anyone wanted to trade an old car for a street-bike. I ended up with a 57 Ford Fairlane 500. Chance also has me probably coming into a 1928 Model A, so i guess the gods want me driving blue.
Alex S. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #77
tdlmomowers

First off, I worked for GM for 32 years, retiring in 2009. I have always said that if I didn't work for GM, that all I would drive is a Ford. I guess my love of Fords started when I was a kid in the 1950s. My Dad had a really cool 1951 Ford Victoria, light green with a black top, 3 speed with overdrive. Grandpa had a white 48 Ford coupe and a dark green 50 Merc. There was just something about the sound of those flatheads with dual exaust that I loved. I have owned several Fords over the years, even though I worked for GM. I had a 66 Mercury Monterey, A 68 Mustang, 302 hardtop, and a 72 Ford F100 with a 390 and a 3 speed on the column. I am now the owner of a 1969 Ford Torino GT that is in the process of being restored as a driver.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #78
fordman

what made me an 'old ford' guy? it was old chevrolets!
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #79
Cecil/WV

My first car was a '38 Chevrolet, my second car was a '37 Ford and I have been a Ford guy ever since!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #80
Fordy Acres Car Farm

I was a car guy right outta the womb, I was making car noises before I knew what a car was. Before I turned 1yr old, my Dad figured out how my cranky mood would turn 180 degrees when I was put in the car, I didn't even have to go for a ride - the front seat made me the happiest, the driver seat was nirvana!
Anyway, Dad was never really brand loyal, I vaguely remember a couple of mid sixties Mopars, but in '72 he bought a one yr old '71 Torino GT complete with 'lazer' stripes and a 351C Automatic. That was it for me - HOOK, LINE AND SINKER !!! Now I'm a "lifer''.

Last edited by Fordy Acres Car Farm; 04-16-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Fordy Acres Car Farm is offline   Reply With Quote