Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
rocket1

Default Steering column support

I purchased the parts necessary to change the column mount on my 29ccpu.the info from tom endy shows the 3/8 steel plate mounted on the gas tank flange but i will have to remove a existing bolt to mount the plate to the flange,from what i can ascertain the 3/8 plate is under the tank flange,correct? Also the dash rail has a curve and the tank flange follows suit possibly i can duplicate the curve in the press.i'm going to countersink the support studs in the plate and weld them in pointing down naturally.the steering support mounting surface is flat i might have to put a spacer in between the mtg. Bolts as not to snap the ears,any comments and suggestions are welcome,thanks.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
rocket1

Default Re: Steering column support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
I purchased the parts necessary to change the column mount on my 29ccpu.the info from tom endy shows the 3/8 steel plate mounted on the gas tank flange but i will have to remove a existing bolt to mount the plate to the flange,from what i can ascertain the 3/8 plate is under the tank flange,correct? Also the dash rail has a curve and the tank flange follows suit possibly i can duplicate the curve in the press.i'm going to countersink the support studs in the plate and weld them in pointing down naturally.the steering support mounting surface is flat i might have to put a spacer in between the mtg. Bolts as not to snap the ears,any comments and suggestions are welcome,thanks.
I did it a different way,used angle iron and flat plate to mount it to the dash rail I did not drill through the tank flange Which I do not think is a good idea I used the one existing hole in the flange as a mtg. point and drilled a new hole in the dash rail,took the A out today for a test drive,mount is solid!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
Ruth

Default Re: Steering column support

Good going. I'm always willing to learn. Got any pictures.