Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default Some success on freeing up the valve on the 53!

As some know here, I've been dealing with a dead (zero compression) number 6 cylinder on the 53 Merc flathead V8. Looks like two days of saturating the top of the valves with PB Blaster, Seafoam and MMO through the sparkplug hole has moved the exhaust valve up from its seat. I also ran a good bit of Seafoam through the left carb throat while running the car, yesterday, and MMO this morning. To my delight, it appears that I'm making headway. I didn't want to pull the manifold, so....so far, it might have done the trick. I shut her down and poured more MMO in the hole and will let it sit for a day and fire her up tomorrow. She ran a bit rough, and smoked a bit, but I put quite a dose of MMO in her, so once that all burns off, I'm hoping she smooths out. I don't have a compression gage to see what she's putting out, but will get one to see if it's up. Fingers crossed.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
RalphG

Default Re: Some success on freeing up the valve on the 53!

Valve moved up? If it has been running with zero compression on that cylinder the valve would have been stuck open. Already in the up position.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Valve moved up? If it has been running with zero compression on that cylinder the valve would have been stuck open. Already in the up position.
So which valve is just below the sparkplug hole? Whatever that one was, was closed and now it's open. Or at least when I check the spot after running the car. Hard to tell through the tiny hole and not observing it while I run the car. How can I turn the engine over by hand so I can look down in there and see what's going on? The shop did a compression check and it was in fact zero.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
Mart

If you put your thumb over then plug hole and crank the motor you will be able to tell if you have more than zero compression. Do it on a good cylinder as a comparison. You might be able to pick up a compression tester at a local parts store. They are not very expensive.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
marko39

If a valve is stuck in the closed position the engine will not turn over.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
Mart

In your previous post you said left front cylinder. Assuming that means USA driver's side front cylinder, that is cylinder number 5.
Which cylinder has zero compression, 5, or 6?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
If a valve is stuck in the closed position the engine will not turn over.
It runs quite well, other than the rough idle I was experiencing when I got the car. It seems to be idling better now, so I'm not sure what all the products I used did, if anything. Like I said, the shop said zero compression in the one cylinder. Who knows. I'm looking at getting a professional here that works on these engines to tell me what I need or don't need. Maybe next week. If I need some engine work aka, rebuild, I will forge ahead. The car cosmetically is perfect, so it deserves a good running engine.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
In your previous post you said left front cylinder. Assuming that means USA driver's side front cylinder, that is cylinder number 5.
Which cylinder has zero compression, 5, or 6?
According to the shop, "drivers side, second back", so second from the front ( I hope) I also treated the cylinder next to it, meaning the two center ones, just in case I read the billing wrong.

" second back plug, left drivers side, was fuel fouled and preformed compassion test and found zero compression"

Last edited by bigd1101; 07-02-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #9
Frank Miller

You appear to lck some understanding about what a stuck valve is. Someone mentioned "stuck closed" which will not allow the motor to turn. Typically varnish builds up on the guides and causes the valve to not close. A valve that does not close will give you zero compression. Putting marvel mystery oil in carb while running will usually do the trick. Flathead valve springs are not very stiff so it does not take a lot. The shop should have been able to give you a better diagnosis.
If you are not experiencing back fire or popping through the carb I would venture that your problem is on the exhaust side. That is even if it is a stuck valve. There are other things that can give you zero compression.
If you have access to an air compressor then bring #6 to the top and pressurize the cylinder and listen for where the air is leaking. A blow gun and a rag is one way to presurize the cylinder.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
You appear to lck some understanding about what a stuck valve is. Someone mentioned "stuck closed" which will not allow the motor to turn. Typically varnish builds up on the guides and causes the valve to not close. A valve that does not close will give you zero compression. Putting marvel mystery oil in carb while running will usually do the trick. Flathead valve springs are not very stiff so it does not take a lot. The shop should have been able to give you a better diagnosis.
If you are not experiencing back fire or popping through the carb I would venture that your problem is on the exhaust side. That is even if it is a stuck valve. There are other things that can give you zero compression.
If you have access to an air compressor then bring #6 to the top and pressurize the cylinder and listen for where the air is leaking. A blow gun and a rag is one way to presurize the cylinder.
I do have a air compressor. No backfiring or popping, just a somewhat rough idle, like that cylinder with no compression is not doing its job. I did a MMO down the carb this morning. How much should I use in this case?
Old 07-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
Jack E/NJ

If cylinders were numbered tlke GM and Xler, it'd be the #3 cylinder or #5 cylinder from the front. #3 being the second back from the front on the US drivers side. And #5 being the second forward from the back on the US drivers side. Instead, Ford has #6 being the second back from the front. And #7 being the second forward from the back. That should clear up everything. 8^)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #12
joe 1950

Just a word of caution don’t crank engine over with the spark plug in if you think the cylinder has to much mmo in it you could wind up with major damage ,also on those old flatheads add 3oz of mmo to every 10 gallons of gas helps to keep the valve guides and stems clean
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #13
51 MERC-CT

If after all the procedures are tried, it does not smooth out and compression is not restored, you might have to consider that you have a burnt exhaust valve.
This is one that was removed after exhibiting similar symptoms. (and this was #6 exhaust valve )

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 07-02-2021 at 11:04 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It could also have been stuck rings that are starting to loosen up.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
Bob C

This may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford-flathead-firing-order-49-53.jpg (39.2 KB, 46 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #16
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
This may help.
It is no. 6
Old 07-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #17
tubman

I hate to be one, but how much faith can you put in a chart that is labeled "1949-1953 Flathead Firing Order" that uses the picture of an obviously earlier vintage engine.

It is correct though.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #18
Lanny

Take the # 6 plug out and put your finger over the plug hole as
someone is cranking the engine over. You will feel if there is
compression in that cylinder.
Pull the coil wire out as you are doing this.

Once you have compression in that cylinder, then just start adding
four ounces of MMO to each tank of gas, to keep the valve stems lubed.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #19
3quarter32

I was under the impression that all Flathead v8s had the same firing order including the 60hp. Is that correct?
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #20
bigd1101

So far so good with the stuck valve. The MMO must have done it, along with the PB Blaster and the Seafoam treatments. She fires right up cold and seems to be smoothing out a bit compared to before all this started. I have not had a chance to see what kind of compression I'm getting on no. 6, but I'm having new shocks put on when I get back from vacation and will have the shop do a diagnosis. MMO is in the tank now and hopefully that will keep the valve guides nice and happy, going forward. Gone too is the hesitation when I rev her up. I will at some point have the local flatty guy do a complete inspection (the right way) and let me know if a valve job or more is in order at some point. It does not smoke and the oil looks like it just came out of the can, so I suspect the rings are good but who knows how long that cylinder was dead and driven. I doubt much as like I have said, the 80 year old guy I got the car from did not drive the car for I would guess a year or more, due to his failing health. Time will tell at this point. I'm not driving it until I get a compression test as I want to be sure all is working as it should, when I do.