Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Merc Cruzer

Default How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

Nothing technical, no schematics to read, just follow the pictures. No drilling, I just used an existing hole in the cover. $3.12 total cost.

Remove the radio from the car

Picture #1
Remove the 4 screws form the top cover

Picture # 2
Remove the 2 screws from the top frame of the front of the radio

Picture # 3
Remove the screw from the back of the top cover

Picture # 4
Turn radio over and remove back bracket ( two nuts) ( upper right corner of picture) and then remove the cover.

Picture # 5
Turn radio back over. This is the Volume circuit. You will cut the green wire in the middle solder a 10" piece of wire to both ends of the green wire. I then put shrink tubeing over both wires just to make it cleaner.

Picture # 6
This is the jack you will be installing. You will solder a wire on to #1 (ground) and then to the cover. The other two wires will be solder to posts 2 & 3

Picture # 7 & # 8
Lace the wires down through the chassis of the radio and then install the jack in the hole already in the cover marked OSC (no drilling required.)

Picture # 9 & # 10
Bench test the radio to make sure the radio still plays and you can get a channel or at least hear the static. You will need to plug in an antenna.

Picture # 11
While the radio is playing, insert one end of the plug in to the output or head set jack of the CD player (in picture) and then the other end of the plug into the jack you installed on the radio. You should now hear what is playing on the CD player.

Picture # 12
The green wire that is the heart of the whole project.

If you did it correctly, when you insert the plug into the jack on the radio you will immediately hear what ever is playing on the CD player. The volume should be turned up on the CD player and then the volume will be controlled by the radio volume knob and the tone knob. When you remove the plug the radio will return to the station you were listening to on the radio.

This system simply uses the radios tube amplifier to power the input signal from the jack.

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7038.jpg (55.0 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7039.jpg (66.3 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7040.jpg (63.2 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7041.jpg (70.5 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7042.jpg (92.2 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7033.jpg (62.5 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7050.jpg (54.4 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7054.jpg (62.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7057.jpg (87.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7058.jpg (95.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7060.jpg (58.5 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7032 Arrow.jpg (76.0 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 01-17-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
34PKUP

Default Re: How I installed a CD player to a 53' Merc radio

$3.12 total cost? Would have to buy a CD player which I threw away with the introduction of MP3 players. Would the MP3 player work (with plug adapter)?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Merc Cruzer

Default How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

The MP3 player, ipod or old transistor radio with AM/FM should work. Anything with a earphone/headset jack. Be careful of voltage spikes on radios that have not had the capacitors replace. I am starting out with old stuff and moving up to the new stuff (ipod).

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-15-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Default How to listen to your Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

I am currently using my android for music thorough the radio. Now when a call comes in and I am driving I can hear it on the speaker of the car, a big advantage in a convertible. If you put the phone on the dash, and set the phone to speaker it is now hands free. Safety first!. I was going to buy a 5th generation Ipod since it has a built in FM radio. When you are driving in the mountains, there are not too many AM stations.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-30-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
tubman

Default Re: How to listen to your Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

I really like this idea, especially since the one good AM station in our area disappeared over the winter last year. I have no electronic expertise however, but I would expect this procedure would work on just about all post-war AM radios. I have a '51 deluxe radio with 6 buttons . Can I expect the green wire in my radio to be green as well? Who made that radio? I think mine is a Philco; I would expect that they would not have changed the color coding of the wiring through the years.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

I spent a lot of time on the antique radio forum: "The 8 tube radios for 53/54 had the model number in ink on the center of the bottom of the radio. FoMoCo had at least 6 radios for 1953. 4 radios for Ford: 3SF-755 (Sylvania--may be 3CF Colonial) with 8 tubes, 3BF (Bendix) with 6 tubes, 3MF (Motorola) with 6 tubes, and 3MFT (2-piece Motorola-Truck) with 6 tubes. Lincoln/Mercury had 2: Lincoln was model 3SH-756, Mercury was 3SM-757, both basically the same 8 tube radio as the 3SF Ford radio made by Sylvania".

I would guess that if you open up the radio and there is a green wire in the same place, you are good to go. If you cut in in the middle and use alligator clip wires to test it with a external source and it doesn't work, all you need to do is solder the wire back together. If it works then just continue on with the installation of the jack. Maybe some of the other radio savvy members can chime in on this for clarification on the earlier models.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-15-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
flatheadmurre

Default Re: How to listen to your Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

Whatever you do messing in a tube radio make sure you got a capacitor between your signal source and the amplifier.
If not you got a fair chance of frying your ipod and electrocuting yourself.
So be real sure you know what youre doing...i want you all to stay around.
And even if there is an old cap it might be leaky and the much more sensitive solidstate stuff wont like.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

That is why I chose to cut the middle of the green wire, as it is the first wire from the volume knob to the first capacitor in the circuit. A lot of the information during this project came from the guys on the antique radio forum, as they like to do this to the old floor model cabinet radios, that are plugged into the 120 V wall outlet.

I do agree with flatheadmurre in that you should "replace all the paper and electrolytic capacitors, and check all the resistors". This was done on my radio a few years back along with installing a solid state vibrator. If you get a chance pick up a tube tester. Found mine at a swap meet for $10.00, well worth the investment.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-15-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
jim1932

I too listen to my iphone for music, but had a flash back driving my modern pick up the other night, was looking for the football game on AM, hit scan and pulled in a Cincinnati station, I am in DC. I remember growing up in Massachusetts and once in a while in pulling in Chicago at night on the AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
Merc Cruzer

I grew up in Chelsea, MI and listened to WBZ in Boston and WLS in Chicago along with the local Detroit stations.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
Kahuna

Where do you buy the jack? Never mind, just looked at the correct picture
Great idea
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Merc Cruzer

I am currently using my android for music thorough the radio. Now when a call comes in and I am driving I can hear it on the speaker of the car, a big advantage in a convertible. If you put the phone on the dash, and set the phone to speaker it is now hands free. Safety first!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7063.jpg (76.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #13
Ianrhall

Is the radio going to be the same/similar in my 53 ford coupe?
Ian
Ianrhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
Chris

Awesome!!

What is a voltage spike? Can it hurt the MP3 player?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 PM   #15
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianrhall View Post
Is the radio going to be the same/similar in my 53 ford coupe?
Ian
I would guess yes but the channel selector buttons will be different. Once you open it up you will know for sure.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #16
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Awesome!!

What is a voltage spike? Can it hurt the MP3 player?
An old radio can always fail and you are dealing with high voltage in parts of the radio. Voltage leakage is always a concern, but I think I have it under control for now. The same reason you put a surge protector on you computer, TV etc in the house, or if you are using a generator to power TV's or computers. I am looking into a connector cable with a built in diode to act as a surge protector to the MP3 or in my case, my android phone (not cheap) hence the reason I thought about getting a Ipod, they are cheaper and the Ipod Nano 5 has a built in FM radio.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-30-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #17
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
An old radio can always fail and you are dealing with high voltage in parts of the radio. Voltage leakage is always a concern, but I think I have it under control for now. The same reason you put a surge protector on you computer, TV etc in the house, or if you are using a generator to power TV's or computers. I am looking into a connector cable with a built in diode to act as a surge protector to the MP3 or in my case, my android phone (not cheap) hence the reason I am getting a Ipod, they are cheaper and the Ipod Nano 5 has a built in FM radio.
Gotcha, thanks so much for the tech!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #18
Mike51Merc

I did that to my '51 Merc Motorola after finding instructions online. The only difference was that I joined the left and right channels of the source with a resistor and then mated them to the mono input of the radio. Supposedly this prevents the two channels from causing a short in your source.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #19
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
I did that to my '51 Merc Motorola after finding instructions online. The only difference was that I joined the left and right channels of the source with a resistor and then mated them to the mono input of the radio. Supposedly this prevents the two channels from causing a short in your source.

I saw that on the HAMB, Radio Joe did that to his radio, he used two resistors at the jack:

[url]http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-how-to-add-an-aux-input-to-your-stock-radio.300222/[/url

I can always add the modification to the jack by un-soldering the two leads and inserting the resistors. Thank you, I really hope people keep adding to the process of the project, since it does seem to be of interest to quite a few. My goal was to keep it as simple as possible, so that just about anybody could do it if they wanted.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 11-25-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #20
Merc Cruzer

Smile Re: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

Earlier in this discussion there was mention that there was not many good AM radio stations anymore.

Now that you have all added the jack to your tube radios and are listing to your favorites in MP3 format on your phone, ipod etc, it is time to upgrade for "FREE'. Last weakened our daughter was home for Thanksgiving and I told her about my latest project. I also told her that I was going to buy a ipod gen 5 so that I could get FM radio in the car. She explained "very slowly" that I have to stop thinking radio stations and thing global music. She then asked to see my phone, and then proceeded to install a free app by the name for "iheartradio" It is in essence a free version of Sirus radio. You select the artist and or the type of music you like and it will continuously search all of the radio stations nationally to give you what you have requested. Check into it and give it try to see it works for you. All you need is a good cell phone signal.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...#q=iheartradio

I also have been converting all of my 45's from our jukebox over to MP3's to add to the phone. We have a fairly good collection around 300 +/-, so it was a good project. To do that I have been using:

https://www.google.com/search?q=auda...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Some say I need to get out of the 50's to which I reply why?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6858.jpg (69.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6861.jpg (77.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6863.jpg (80.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6864.jpg (73.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6862.jpg (84.6 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-23-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
'36 5W

I've been looking into music source alternatives, too, but find I need a teen "advisor"
to navigate all the choices. While iRadio sounds great, especially because it's free,
the down side I read in reviews is "a lot of advertising", so there are still the usual trade-offs....

(Really like your retro man-cave, although for some reason it seems to have a Merc.
theme...)
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #22
Merc Cruzer

(Really like your retro man-cave, although for some reason it seems to have a Merc.
theme...)

And the reason is......The Cougar is my wifes'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2877[1].jpg (100.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SSCN1130.JPG (51.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #23
Merc Cruzer

Just wondering if anyone out there has identified the "green wire" in any of the other tube radios used by Ford of Mercury?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
Kahuna

Merc;
I have a question:
If your car is 12 volts, would it be possible to somehow hook up a USB cable so that the
I-Pod could then be charged as it's operating?
Thanks
Jim
Old 12-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #25
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Merc;
I have a question:
If your car is 12 volts, would it be possible to somehow hook up a USB cable so that the
Thanks
Jim
Jim,

My 53 Merc is still 6 volt Pos Ground. If your car is 12 volt, the attached youtube video should answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPjrDIu3hYY

Thanks,

Roy
Old 12-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #26
1949f1

Thank you for this it works amazing. And it certainly is amazing to be listening to dean Martin in my 53 merc. Do you know where I could find a tuning coil? Or parts in general?
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
Thank you for this it works amazing. And it certainly is amazing to be listening to dean Martin in my 53 merc. Do you know where I could find a tuning coil? Or parts in general?
Try this forum, they were a great help for me:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/inde...3be6f0ccd2e397
Old 01-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #28
Kahuna

Thanks so much, Roy
I'll check it out
Jim
Old 01-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #29
1949f1

Quote:
Try this forum, they were a great help for me:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/inde...3be6f0ccd2e397
Thanks that's exactly what I've been looking for
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
Merc Cruzer

For those of you that have a 1955 Ford with a radio (I had one in the 50's room on a shelf and it works), I had some time so I thought it might interesting to know which wire to cut to add the jack. The yellow wire with the red arrow is the same as the green wire in the 53' Merc Radio. When I took the cover off the radio the yellow wire and the black wire next to it were wound together. I still use the old portable Sony Discman player for testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7102 (2).jpg (62.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7104.jpg (29.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7105.jpg (40.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7125 (3) arrow.jpg (60.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7123.jpg (80.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 01-09-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #31
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by '36 5W View Post
I've been looking into music source alternatives, too, but find I need a teen "advisor"
to navigate all the choices. While iRadio sounds great, especially because it's free,
the down side I read in reviews is "a lot of advertising", so there are still the usual trade-offs....

theme...)
This is how I listen to music in my car (or shop). http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CHRG....html?tp=63331
This portable speaker will mate with your I-phone. I use Rhapsody which allows you to select the type of music you want. You can go with the "free" membership which, does have an add every so often (but not bad) or pay $7/ month for "adfree".
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #32
40 Deluxe

Radio? Who needs a radio?! Install a set of Smitty's, roll down the window and listen to some real music!!
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #33
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Radio? Who needs a radio?! Install a set of Smitty's, roll down the window and listen to some real music!!
40 Deluxe,

I agree totally, but on those days when it is raining or like today with it is only 8 degrees outside, it serves as a nice distraction. But on the other days, when I unzip the rear window, roll down all 4 windows and drop the top and am one with the road.....

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 01-11-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #34
Kahuna

Fantastic thread Roy.
Thanks so much.
Now, if only I could get an Iphone & learn how to use it, ha ha
In my car, 32 Tudor, I try to hide everything that might be considered modern:
I have 4 speakers behind the kick panels & rear panels.
I use a Sony Radio (no antennae, just for the IPOD) that has a tray that holds the
Ipod. Totally unseen, remote activated and works great.
But for my 56 Ford, I'm going to use your method.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #35
Tim Ayers

I'm no electronics expert, but I'd really double check the voltage going to the USB for charging. Most tubes (I think Ford used one 6V6 power tube in their radios) use high plate voltages in order to heat the tube.

Most IPods, IPhones, etc. use very little and I'd assume these units could get fried easily if too much juice goes to them. I'd think more of an issue with a car with a generator v. an alternator, but double check everything.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #36
Merc Cruzer

Tim,

Thanks for the update, but I have been using my Samsung android since the modification and haven't have any issues with it. I do not hook it up until the car is running.

If you want to install a surge protector in the circuit you might want to read through this posting:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...#post-11255137

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 05-16-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #37
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Tim,

Thanks for the update, but I have been using my Samsung android since the modification and haven't have any issues with it. I do not hook it up until the car is running.

If you want to install a surge protector in the circuit you might want to read through this posting:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...#post-11255137
Merc Cruzer:

I would defer to you on this since you've been fooling around with this hook up. I'm talking more about a USB hook up to charge vs. the line in to play.

It sounds like a good idea to include some sort of surge protector to keep these new fangled items safe from voltage spikes.

Love the idea and solves a bevy of problems with stereo hook ups.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 05-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #38
Merc Cruzer

Tim,

USB is a little more sophisticated than this installation. I have found that the phone will last throughout the day. I have created a little power backup, that I use when I get to the location for a show or cruse that sits on the cooler between the chairs. It powers the phone and the bluetooth speaker. It is noting more than a weed wacker battery with a lighter adapter, but it good for at least 12 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7316.jpg (92.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7317.jpg (85.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #39
Rustedjunk

Thanks for sharing this.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #40
Merc Cruzer

Rustedjunk,

Thank you. When we go to the cruses, we have gotten to know the the people in the adjoining popups and they now bring their Bluetooth speakers and we create a private sound system with the "classics" for all.

The radio jack in the car get used every time I am in it.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #41
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Merc;
I have a question:
Thanks
Jim
You can do it with either 12 volts or 6 volts. I think the key here is that they have a plastic housing so no issues regarding mounting or shorting to a ground.

Check out this post: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200502

E-bay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...sacat=0&_oac=1

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 08-09-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #42
flatmotor40

I use a motorcycle amp and 2 speakers behind the dash grille to rum my mp3 player for music.
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #43
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I'm no electronics expert, but I'd really double check the voltage going to the USB for charging. Most tubes (I think Ford used one 6V6 power tube in their radios) use high plate voltages in order to heat the tube.

Most IPods, IPhones, etc. use very little and I'd assume these units could get fried easily if too much juice goes to them. I'd think more of an issue with a car with a generator v. an alternator, but double check everything.
With this in mind, I decided to take the project to the final phase and go bluetooth/airgap (probably a misuse of the term even though the operational range is up to 30'). The little device I have pictured here just plugs into the jack and rather than having a cord between the cell phone, I-pod etc. and the radio jack, it is now wireless (bluetooth). It works great and in the event there is a power surge, the only thing lost is the bluetooth receiver (less than $15.00) and your phone, I-pod etc. is fully protected. The unit is 1" Wide X 2" Tall X 1/4" deep.

I found it on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&ul_noapp=true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mpow.jpg (20.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Mpow 1.jpg (19.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Mpow 2.jpg (56.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 04-30-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #44
RalphG

Thanks for bringing this subject back up. I still need to try and get my radio in the 52 working. First step, find a speaker to hook up and test!
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #45
Tim Ayers

Merc Cruizer.

Awesome idea and that seems to be the way to go. Really clever work!
Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #46
big job

15 dollars or so Home Depot black box with magnats. I am 6vt pos grd. so, tube am
radios that work are $$$$ I have radio delete on my 46 this sticks there. So I put on
Pandora on my phone and get it all. And you use your phone charger on this too. It
has volume + and - controls on the top. got good bass treble full sound for 15 bucks.
also I get a phone call it comes out the speaker like this new vichicles do.....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #47
Merc Cruzer

I know it has been awhile since the last post, but with the acquisition of a GoPro 3+Black camera, I did this video to serve as the demonstration of: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4-Dk_fFOo
Old 05-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #48
5lugnuts

You could connect your Bluetooth phone to a Bluetooth speaker mounted in the speaker grill or some other place. This would eliminate cutting into the radio in your car. Some Bluetooth speakers have a rechargeable battery that charges from a usb cable that you might plug into a computer. Anything that charges with a usb cable is usually 5 volts. This includes gps and phones that can be charged in a car through a cigarette lighter type plug. That plug lowers 12 and 6 volts to 5 volts for charging gps and phones. I use my gps and phone in a six volt car by plugging into a cigarette lighter type plug with the cables that came with those devices and were intended to be charged in a 6 or 12 volt car so it does work.

The Bluetooth speakers with rechargeable batteries and usb cables are worth investigating as your phone and Bluetooth speaker could be powered by your car battery while driving. Bluetooth speakers can be 10 watts or more and have bass and other controls including answering your phone.

IMPORTANT … Wire the cigarette lighter type plug as negative ground not positive ground. This just means putting the wires backwards if your car is positive ground.

Last edited by 5lugnuts; 05-19-2019 at 02:36 PM.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #49
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
I use a motorcycle amp and 2 speakers behind the dash grille to rum my mp3 player for music.

How do you control the volume? On your MP3 player -- or via a rheostat between the amp and speakers?

I don't have a radio in my '35 so I'm looking for an amp I could install that's bluetooth-ready. This amp, the speakers, and a volume control knob would be permanently installed in the car. I'd throw my iPod on the seat, pick a playlist, and go...

Having the volume control by a knob under the dash seems like it would be a lot easier/safer than trying to turn the volume down on the iPod itself.

Anyone seen a set-up like this?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #50
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lugnuts View Post
You could connect your Bluetooth phone to a Bluetooth speaker mounted in the speaker grill or some other place. This would eliminate cutting into the radio in your car. Some Bluetooth speakers have a rechargeable battery that charges from a usb cable that you might plug into a computer. Anything that charges with a usb cable is usually 5 volts. This includes gps and phones that can be charged in a car through a cigarette lighter type plug. That plug lowers 12 and 6 volts to 5 volts for charging gps and phones. I use my gps and phone in a six volt car by plugging into a cigarette lighter type plug with the cables that came with those devices and were intended to be charged in a 6 or 12 volt car so it does work.

The Bluetooth speakers with rechargeable batteries and usb cables are worth investigating as your phone and Bluetooth speaker could be powered by your car battery while driving. Bluetooth speakers can be 10 watts or more and have bass and other controls including answering your phone.

IMPORTANT … Wire the cigarette lighter type plug as negative ground not positive ground. This just means putting the wires backwards if your car is positive ground.

5lugnuts,

I have attached a picture of the cigarette/cigar lighter in a 1953 Mercury, with a positive ground 6 volt system. The unit is grounded to the body when it is installed, with a single hot lead attached to the back. Therefor, to just switch the wires to make it work with a new USB adapter, does appear to be an option in this instance.

When I converted the radio, I too was looking for a 5.2 volt USB outlet to install in the car. Maybe not the best of solutions, but this thread covers that project. There is a discussion on cigars lighters installed in the Model A's in 29', maybe this will be of some assistance:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ing+cell+phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9402.jpg (25.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9403 -1 arrow.jpg (62.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 05-20-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #51
Alecwhankins

Super helpful thank you!
Alecwhankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #52
Merc Cruzer

Glad to hear it worked for you. Anything I should change to make it easier? Mine still works, and it has now been 6 years.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 08-03-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:47 AM   #53
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonator View Post
How do you control the volume? On your MP3 player -- or via a rheostat between the amp and speakers?

I don't have a radio in my '35 so I'm looking for an amp I could install that's bluetooth-ready. This amp, the speakers, and a volume control knob would be permanently installed in the car. I'd throw my iPod on the seat, pick a playlist, and go...

Having the volume control by a knob under the dash seems like it would be a lot easier/safer than trying to turn the volume down on the iPod itself.

Anyone seen a set-up like this?
I put something together like this on my 41 (I'm running 12v) because I wanted to be able to control the sounds from the faceplate.
I had a spare radio chassis and installed an amp and speakers inside. The amp had volume, treble and bass controls on board. I removed the rotary controls (trimpots) from the circuit board and used 6 core hookup wire to allow remote rotary controls to be used. These were then fitted to the faceplate. It was fiddly, but I can turn the volume up or down to suit the situation.

Sound is from a MP3 player on the seat. The sound is OK, but nothing earth shattering. But then, there is a rumbling flattie on duals and convertible road noise to consider, so I'm happy.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #54
Merc Cruzer

The one thing I liked about this is, you have three ways to increase/control the volume.

1. increase the volume on the phone

2. increase the volume on the MPOW

3. increase the volume on the radio with the volume control knob.

So volume has never been a problem with this modification.

Wish I had a radio out of of a 41', just to see if I could duplicate this on that. Bottom line, there is a million ways to accomplish this. It is always interesting to see how someone else did it. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #55
fortyonerag

If I did it again, I'd consider a 'name brand' auto amp with a bit more power and modify one of these to give me faceplate controls for volume and bass. Have to wing it with the treble I guess....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/37307422...Cclp%3A2047675
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #56
Merc Cruzer

Good solution.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #57
Rustedjunk

Quote:
I know it has been awhile since the last post, but with the acquisition of a GoPro 3+Black camera, I did this video to serve as the demonstration of: How I listen to my Ipod, Android or Iphone through the tube 53' Merc radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4-Dk_fFOo
That is so cool!
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #58
Merc Cruzer

Thank you.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #59
itchy

Pretty nifty.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #60
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Pretty nifty.
Let me know if you have any questions.