Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
1932tub

Default B motor into A

Just getting ready to put a B motor and 32 box into my 30 A pickup.
I realise that I will have to remount the pedals and handbrake, anyone have a pic of what they have done? I am not changing to hydraulic brakes.
Any tips welcome.
1932tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: B motor into A

Some of the parts houses sell an adapter kit for those conversions. let us know your solutions as I have a B motor and transmission that would be fun to play with in my A someday.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
buzz

Send a message via Yahoo to buzz

send me an email i have B enigne with a later ford trany with sincro's in 2nd and 3rd
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
send me an email i have B enigne with a later ford trany with sincro's in 2nd and 3rd
I am not sure what you are trying to say but the B trans has the same gears as the V8.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1932tub View Post
Just getting ready to put a B motor and 32 box into my 30 A pickup.
I realise that I will have to remount the pedals and handbrake, anyone have a pic of what they have done? I am not changing to hydraulic brakes.
Any tips welcome.
1932 tub,
I'm going to attempt to attach pics of my B and '39 toploader and the adapters(about 4). As others said this kit..makes it a fairly easy job. Questions...

Pic #1 and 2 show pedal adaptor; Pic #3 shows aluminum adaptor(B to '39); Pic #4 shows emergency brake adaptor. Some how I lost pic #5 which is the adapter to hold front yoke BALL to bottom of trans..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1675.jpg (78.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1676.jpg (79.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1678.jpg (70.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1679.jpg (73.3 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-15-2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: add..
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
hardtimes

Eureka...found it !

Pic #5 adaptor that holds front wishbone BALL to bottom of trans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1680.jpg (68.5 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-15-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: add..
Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
Geo. H

I have the same thing except I put the 39 gears in a B case instead of buying an aluminum adapter.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo. H View Post
I have the same thing except I put the 39 gears in a B case instead of buying an aluminum adapter.
Geo.,
Yup, more than one way to do the job. I just couldn't turn away from a rebuilt '39 with zepher gears that an ole time flathead racer gave me
Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
1932tub

Thanks Hard Times, that was exactly what I was looking for, I'll post some pics when I get it in.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
1932 tub,
I'm going to attempt to attach pics of my B and '39 toploader and the adapters(about 4). As others said this kit..makes it a fairly easy job. Questions...

Pic #1 and 2 show pedal adaptor; Pic #3 shows aluminum adaptor(B to '39); Pic #4 shows emergency brake adaptor. Some how I lost pic #5 which is the adapter to hold front yoke BALL to bottom of trans..
I've got a B engine and trans in my 31 A. I've got 39-48 gears in the B box with a 39 top cover, I've got the same pedel and wishbone adapter as Hardtimes. With this setup you don't have to bye an aluminum adapter. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Will Kimble

How do the rear motor mounts work when you keep the B transmission? Do they look like float-a-motors and come with the kit?

Thanks,
Will Kimble
Will Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Benson

FYI: Bert's is manufacturing and selling the Kit that AC&R made in the past for installing the B transmission.

It has the wishbone, E brake, clutch/brake pedal adapters and the clutch release shaft all ready to go.

Last edited by Benson; 11-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
1932tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
I've got a B engine and trans in my 31 A. I've got 39-48 gears in the B box with a 39 top cover, I've got the same pedel and wishbone adapter as Hardtimes. With this setup you don't have to bye an aluminum adapter. Walt
Yes I am using a 32 box but it still has the stock gears
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
1932tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
FYI: Bert's is manufacturing and selling the Kit that AC&R made in the past for installing the B transmission.

It has the wishbone, E brake, clutch/brake pedal adapters and the clutch release shaft all ready to go.
Thanks for that, I am out in New Zealand so don't have easy access to these parts, I will make them myself and post pics as I go.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Benson

Quote:
Thanks for that, I am out in New Zealand so don't have easy access to these parts, I will make them myself and post pics as I go.

Since you are making them yourself ... on picture #5 (of Hardtimes 2nd posting) of wishbone mount, do not forget the vertical bolt and nut just above the wishbone mount that fastens that bracket to transmission.

I realize that this picture is of the V8 kit but idea is the same.

The bolt adds an addional mounting point to that bracket to make it much stronger and prevent bending of the bracket.

I have seen several kits that did not include that hole. Must have been early versions.

BUT it is very easy to add the bolt ... if you know about it beforehand!

The bolt is helpful on both "B" and "V8" adapters.

Last edited by Benson; 11-16-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added additional info
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
1932 tub,
I have said that you can buy the 'kit' for what I did, but the truth is...'ufortunately' that is not what I did.
A bud loaned me his 'kit' many years ago. I looked at the adaptors and thought...geeze, I've got more time than money, I'll just copy these adaptors. Well , if you are a fabricator and welder with equipment mabe eventually doable! However, I'm neither and although I eventually prevailed, I'd strongly recommend just buying the 'bolt on' kit.

BTW..pay atn to what Benson said about the bolt ..up thru the bottom of the bell housing. I used grade 8 fine thread with lock nut/locktight. Good luck on your project..
Hmm, New Zealand...do you associate with that worthless quickchange guy..that owns half of that country
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
1932tub

Quote:
Since you are making them yourself ... on picture #5 (of Hardtimes 2nd posting) of wishbone mount, do not forget the vertical bolt and nut just above the wishbone mount that fastens that bracket to transmission.

The bolt adds an addional mounting point to that bracket to make it much stronger and prevent bending of the bracket.

I have seen several kits that did not include that hole. Must have been early versions.
Actually that was my next question, I had noticed the extra bolt, thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
1932tub

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
1932 tub,
I have said that you can buy the 'kit' for what I did, but the truth is...'ufortunately' that is not what I did.
A bud loaned me his 'kit' many years ago. I looked at the adaptors and thought...geeze, I've got more time than money, I'll just copy these adaptors. Well , if you are a fabricator and welder with equipment mabe eventually doable! However, I'm neither and although I eventually prevailed, I'd strongly recommend just buying the 'bolt on' kit.

BTW..pay atn to what Benson said about the bolt ..up thru the bottom of the bell housing. I used grade 8 fine thread with lock nut/locktight. Good luck on your project..
Hmm, New Zealand...do you associate with that worthless quickchange guy..that owns half of that country
Funnily enough I do associate with the worthless quickchange guy, he lives about 15 miles away from me. Owns half of the country.................
Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
hardtimes

1932tub,
Yeah, I finally met Derek over here few months ago at a small 'charity' sway meet.
And, there on the table of stuff 'treasure' they (FAST) was selling....was my model A quickchange !! Being flaunted like a hussey...drumming up more customers !
That model a quickchange is NOW done installed in my roadsters rearend..whoohoo ! Trouble is I can't go get it, as both my hands have recently been 'warmed up' and improved...still healing. Can't give him a rating yet, until I get it running under the roadster....
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kimble View Post
How do the rear motor mounts work when you keep the B transmission? Do they look like float-a-motors and come with the kit?

Thanks,
Will Kimble
Will Kimbely, I have the float a motor rear mounts on my B engine and trans in my 31 A. BUT, the bolt holes in the bell housing are about a 1/2in or so off to use the A top part of the flost kit, SO I had my own top part out of 1/4in steel, and they set right on the rubber donuts. Where there's a relitive there a will. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote