Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Hrs

Default Intermediate Disc Brakes on Compact?

This may not be the proper forum, but since I am an Atomic Industry guy....I figured I'd start here before I go join a Comet/Mustang/Falcon forum....if this is not the right place, please kick me out!

I am trying to fit ~'65 Mustang disc brakes on my '63 Comet. The comet is a 260 car, so I've got the V8 spindles. I want to use FoMoCo parts - the 4 piston KH calipers, dual res. MC, etc....but I dont want to buy a mail order kit.

Shouldn't I be able to go to my local parts store and buy all the necessary parts to upgrade to discs?

I am looking for a parts list or diagram, so I know what to buy....any advice is appreciated.
Hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
frank long island

Default Re: Intermediate Disc Brakes on Compact?

i did a disk swap on my 64 ranchero using mail order parts with no problem you should be able to order everything for the mustang you will also need to upgrade the master to a duel port with a proportioning valve maybe even go with power brakes im sure others will make sugestions and comments you will find great advise / knowlege on this forum
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: Intermediate Disc Brakes on Compact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrs View Post
This may not be the proper forum, but since I am an Atomic Industry guy....I figured I'd start here before I go join a Comet/Mustang/Falcon forum....if this is not the right place, please kick me out!

I am trying to fit ~'65 Mustang disc brakes on my '63 Comet. The comet is a 260 car, so I've got the V8 spindles. I want to use FoMoCo parts - the 4 piston KH calipers, dual res. MC, etc....but I dont want to buy a mail order kit.

Shouldn't I be able to go to my local parts store and buy all the necessary parts to upgrade to discs?

I am looking for a parts list or diagram, so I know what to buy....any advice is appreciated.
The easiest way to go about it would to have a MUST disc brake car donor. The K-H system is unique and has many FORD only parts.

Are you trying for a correct appearing restoration/resto-mod or street driven car? Most mail order kits are not usually FOMOCO correct and use many GM parts. How particular are you?

Just to get this out, you will need a FORD MUST 1967 master cylinder and booster along with proper disc brake valving. It is not a complicated upgrade but requires some detail work.

I will try to find the correct PARTS ILL. for you.

Is this an S-22 COMET? If so, photos are mandatory...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
JeffB2

This guy stuck with a lot of Ford parts on his build,check out the "restoration" section for upgrade info. http://www.fordfalcon2000.com/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
bobss396

You need to do your homework with the '65 swap. Make sure you have the right master for it. Even the power booster is pretty specific. The Mustang forum may be the best place. Parts for the KH calipers, I'd try to find online. I doubt a local parts house would have them in stock.

My '68 Mustang had the KH brakes up front. I had a local rebuilder do the master and booster for a fair price.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: Intermediate Disc Brakes on Compact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post

My '68 Mustang had the KH brakes up front.
1967 was the last year for the four-piston K-H design. The 68/ received the new K-H sliding caliper.

Was yours a retro-fit?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote