Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2016, 01:04 AM   #1
Vics Stuff

Default Front fender brackets on a 32

Hey Guys ! I have a fitment issue with the front fender braces on my 32. I have Brookville fender braces and no name repop steel fenders. The braces do not nest up against the bottom of the fenders where the headlight bar bolts fasten. the brace is about 3/4" shy of meeting the fenders. I was told that I may have to cut the brace and shorten it. I think that the no name repop steel fenders do not have the correct arch to set down on the brace as it should.
I have thought about buying new brookville front fenders to see if the fit is better but really do not want to throw away any hard earned money.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
fortyfords

Default Re: Front fender brackets on a 32

Brookville fenders will need altering also so you might as well work with what you have. Takes time and patience.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Karl Wescott

First. The braces are not Brookville, they are "Metal Fab Engineering" (formerly Ezra). The shape is pretty good but not exact, and there is an issue with the top webs not being stamped parallel.

Second. If you want truly good stuff you are going to have to find "good" NOS (not the junk Ford threw off the assembly line) or matched ETO. Assuming you are going to use repro parts then my recommendations are.

Start by fitting the fenders and headlight bar WITHOUT the braces. The chassis frame should be level front and rear while you are fitting, shims under the tires or jackstands under the frame does not matter. You should be level across the top of the fenders and across the headlight bar mounts. You should have the same distance from the headlight bar mount to the outside of the fender on each side. You should be diagonally square between the headlight bar mounts and the opposite frame rail. If you can get everything to align and fit good you are golden.

Then fit the braces to the fenders. Flatten or grind the upper web so you do not have a sharp point that can contact the fender (this can cause a ridge dent on a steel fender, or a crack in a fiberglass one). Reshape the brace as needed. The brace should only contact the fender at the headlight bar mounts and the outer edge bolt, any other contact will cause rubbing (and later corrosion issues), ridge dents, or paint cracking. An old body shop trick for steel fenders is to twist the brace so the outer fender bolt hole is about 1-2" forward of the hole in the fender, when bolted together the slight tension on the fender will help keep the fender line straight from the bolt to the running board. Note that (our) fiberglass fenders do not need the support at the outside edge and the brace can be terminated at the outboard headlight bolt mount.

Note also that front edge on original Ford fenders was slightly flatter on the right side than the left side.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Newc

Hi; Some repop fender braces fit the 1/4" thick fiberglass fenders better than the thin steel ones. An estate I work for just found a new set of the old mfg Douglas Aircraft repo steel '32 front fenders. Those were very expensive in their day and had fit issuses also. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #5
Vics Stuff

Karl Wescott You could be correct . Just thought that maybe the front fenders were off somewhere. Without the fender brace the fenders fit like a glove after several hours of messaging . I will revisit the fender brace as you mentioned. Had hopes to just bolt up and go. Man am I dreaming !
Thanks guys for all your input.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
IndianapolisRacer

My 1932 ford 5 window has the front fender braces as installed by Ford and in addition somebody tacked a flat steel strap behind the front wheel to the fender and bolted it to the frame . Question : does the 32 only have the one front fender brace in front of wheel that mounts head lite or was a second brace installed behind the front wheel like in a 33-34 Ford front fender ?
IndianapolisRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
deuce lover

Only the one fender brace.Nothing behind the wheel.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote