Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
Eric Lewis

Default 6V Quartz Halogen Headlight Question

So, I just replaced the wiring harness for the headlights, horn & tail light and also "updated" to 6V quartz halogen headlights and now the ammeter pegs out at 20 amps when the lights are on. I have a 6V positive ground system with generator.

Question is: should I be concerned with the amps pegging out? And, if so any suggestions for where to go from here?
BTW, car is running better with the new wiring harness and I am having fun.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: 6V Quartz Halogen Headlight Question

When you say,pegging out,you mean discharge right? Exactly what kind of quartz conversion did you use?I'm not crazy about some of the older designs,as they run hot and draw a lot.you either have the generator set for too low of a rate,or,you may have a wire in the headlight circuit grounding out when the lights are on.I really do like the direct replacement bulbs from the Little British Car Company.They run cool,draw just a hair more than originals,and they can be focused.I tried some knock offs sold here,they were bright,but I couldn't focus them.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
When you say,pegging out,you mean discharge right? Exactly what kind of quartz conversion did you use?I'm not crazy about some of the older designs,as they run hot and draw a lot.you either have the generator set for too low of a rate,or,you may have a wire in the headlight circuit grounding out when the lights are on.I really do like the direct replacement bulbs from the Little British Car Company.They run cool,draw just a hair more than originals,and they can be focused.I tried some knock offs sold here,they were bright,but I couldn't focus them.
This sounds interesting. Could you please provide a link?
(Sorry for the 'side-bar' to this thread)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lewis View Post
So, I just replaced the wiring harness for the headlights, horn & tail light and also "updated" to 6V quartz halogen headlights and now the ammeter pegs out at 20 amps when the lights are on. I have a 6V positive ground system with generator.

Question is: should I be concerned with the amps pegging out? And, if so any suggestions for where to go from here?
BTW, car is running better with the new wiring harness and I am having fun.
Eric,
The suppliers of the 6V quartz conversion kits suggest the use of an alternator. The current draw on a generator may cause damage.

I have used 6 volt quartz headlights for years. The headlight plugs in the headlight buckets get so hot, they will often melt the plastic on the plugs if a low quality plug is used. I use the "Bakelite" type material plugs available from NAPA to minimize the problem. The plug I am describing is not listed as a headlight bulb plug but as a signal flasher plug. Sorry, I don't have a part number for you....
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Eric Lewis

Quote:
when you say I have the generator set to low of a rate, how can I change it? what should it be changed to?
No shorts as it a new wiring harness and all new sockets for the head lights
Old 02-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
Eric Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Eric,
The suppliers of the 6V quartz conversion kits suggest the use of an alternator. The current draw on a generator may cause damage.

I have used 6 volt quartz headlights for years. The headlight plugs in the headlight buckets get so hot, they will often melt the plastic on the plugs if a low quality plug is used. I use the "Bakelite" type material plugs available from NAPA to minimize the problem. The plug I am describing is not listed as a headlight bulb plug but as a signal flasher plug. Sorry, I don't have a part number for you....
Good Day!
The supplier said no changes needed, what damage to the generator due to current draw?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
Eric Lewis

Quote:
Pegging out = discharge, ammeter is going + >20 amps
Conversion was Quartz Halogen 6V from Mikes http://www.mikes-afordable.com/category/1074.html
Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Tom Endy

Years ago my first Model A was equipped with Halogen headlights by the previous owner. The electrical system was 6-volt positive ground with a stock generator. When the headlights were turned on it would peg the ammeter. If I drove any distance at night it would discharge the battery. I replaced the Halogens with stock bulbs.

I do not know how much current the Halogens were pulling, but it was more that 20 amps and certainly more than the stock generator could supply.

Your best bet is to install LED headlights as they draw little current. The other option is to install an alternator that is capable of putting out sufficient current.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Eric Lewis

Thank You all, looks like I will be going to stock bulbs to save the battery from discharging.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
cpf240

Quote:
Thank You all, looks like I will be going to stock bulbs to save the battery from discharging.
Maybe only drive it during the day?

There is a third brush in the generator that is adjustable to change the amount of charge. It was/is common to adjust it for more charging when it is expected to be driven more with the lights on.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
Dave in MN

Quote:
The supplier said no changes needed, what damage to the generator due to current draw?
The supplier I purchased from (Snyder's) states: "You need to have an alternator on your car to run these."
I do mean damage from too much current draw from your generator. Drawing over 20 amps as indicated from the amp meter being pegged may overheat the generator. JMO
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 AM   #12
Bill G

You definitely need an alternator if you are going to use Halogen headlights. The generator normally is set for maybe 8-10 amps charge rate. If your lights sink 20 amps, then you won't keep up.

Yes, you can set the generator for more output, but even if you could get 20 amps out of the generator to keep up with the headlights, you would likely overcharge the battery when the lights are off and on a longer trip, since there is no ability to cut off the generator when it charges too much. The cut-out relay only cuts the generator out of the circuit when the generator does not put out enough to charge.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #13
Kurt in NJ

If you look in the owners instruction book you would read that there will be a discharge showing with the headlights on

I have the direct fit 35 watt bulbs in my car for over 15 years--with a stock generator---if your charging rate is high enough daytime driving makes up for night discharge
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
Hunter

Timely discussion. Last night I attended one of my local clubs and we had a great presentation on Model A light bulbs. The fellow that gave the presentation, Luke Chaplin, went over all the bulbs that are currently available and the pros and cons.

The halogen bulbs do pull a lot of amperage and get quite hot. The amperage draw for the set he had hooked up was about 10 amps, I believe. He showed us the brightness of various bulbs using a set of actual model A headlights. The hands down winner was LED bulbs from a British company, see attached image.
The current draw as low and the lighting was spectacular. Very nice and uniform.

He mentioned that the these bulbs are properly designed so that they focus properly, whereas many being sold are improperly designed and cannot be focused.

They are expensive, looks like about 76 dollars for a set, but they are a thing of beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Led Image.jpg (22.3 KB, 172 views)
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #15
gearloose

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page3.html

I run them with a hi output 6v alternator from nu-rex and new reflectors from Bratton's. The light output is as bright as sealed beams or better.

Last edited by gearloose; 02-22-2018 at 10:22 AM.
gearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Hunter

Failed to include the website for the LED bulbs:

www.dynamoreregulatorconversions.com
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
katy

I'd be careful buying British headlight bulbs. As they drive on the LH side of the road their beams go slightly down and to the left, whereas in North America the beams go slightly down and to the right.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Years ago my first Model A was equipped with Halogen headlights by the previous owner. The electrical system was 6-volt positive ground with a stock generator. When the headlights were turned on it would peg the ammeter. If I drove any distance at night it would discharge the battery. I replaced the Halogens with stock bulbs.

I do not know how much current the Halogens were pulling, but it was more that 20 amps and certainly more than the stock generator could supply.

Your best bet is to install LED headlights as they draw little current. The other option is to install an alternator that is capable of putting out sufficient current.

Tom Endy
You can also use the correct ford shaped reflectors that Brattons sells along with bulbs that have the properly shaped filaments and stay stock.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #19
GPierce

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/
This one works
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
Kurt in NJ

I measured to amps on my system,
Halogen bulbs, 2 tail lights--- 14 amps
50cp regular bulbs with 2 tail lights--- 18 amps

I reduced the charge rate I had when I put in the halogen bulbs, long daylight drive I run with lights on some, generator is fine, battery not dead, only charged while driving---- remember the light are a system, bright bulbs with bad focus just get hot, use too much electricity, blind oncoming driver, and still you can't see down the road
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote