Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Zeke...PA

Default Aux Airtex fuel pump

I am going to install an Airtex E8016S fuel pump, 12 volt, on my 37 Tudor as an auxiliary pump to combat vapor lock. Question would it be best to use an momentary switch as I won't use a regulator this would keep from forgetting to turn off. Any body wire it this way ? Thanks Zeke
Old 04-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Aux Airtex fuel pump

That would be fine. I really don't think you would forget though, as you can easily hear the pump work, and change tone as the carb fills.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Old Henry

I used a regular switch since my pump needs to be on longer than just for priming sometimes climbing mountains in the summer. I put a small LED indicator light under the dash next to the steering column to remind me that the pump is on.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
jerry shook

When you add an electric fuel pump do you have to remove the original pump?. were do you connect the wire from the pump?. I wont to use it as the primary pump. could it connect to the ignition switch so when the car is off it is off.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Zeke...PA

No you do not need to remove mechanical pump, will pump through electric pump and vice-versa . You can hook to ignition switch but if powered 100% of time will need pressure regulator. I will rethink my installation possibly with a lit toggle switch and possibly a pressure regulator. Thanks Zeke
Old 04-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry shook View Post
When you add an electric fuel pump do you have to remove the original pump?. were do you connect the wire from the pump?. I wont to use it as the primary pump. could it connect to the ignition switch so when the car is off it is off.
The Airtex pump allows the stock mechanical pump to pull through it when it's off so no need to remove the mechanical pump. I would say most guys mainly use the mechanical pump full time and the electric one only when the mechanical one is vapor locked. I ran a wire from the auxiliary terminal on the ignition switch to the dash board switch then to the pump so the pump will be off when the ignition switch is off. As a safety precaution I have an inertia kill switch that the ignition switch gets it's power from so that in the event of a collision all power is shut off to the engine and the fuel pump.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Old Henry

Just in case some haven't seen this picture, it is my pump installation inside the frame as close to the gas tank as I could get it. Didn't even need to drill any hole. Used one already in the frame.

And about a foot toward the front from that is the pressure regulator.

The unseen switch under my dash (the right one):

Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
That would be fine. I really don't think you would forget though, as you can easily hear the pump work, and change tone as the carb fills.
The Airtex E8902 6 volt pump that I use is so quiet I can not hear it unless the engine is turned off.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
The Airtex pump allows the stock mechanical pump to pull through it when it's off so no need to remove the mechanical pump. I would say most guys mainly use the mechanical pump full time and the electric one only when the mechanical one is vapor locked. I ran a wire from the auxiliary terminal on the ignition switch to the dash board switch then to the pump so the pump will be off when the ignition switch is off. As a safety precaution I have an inertia kill switch that the ignition switch gets it's power from so that in the event of a collision all power is shut off to the engine and the fuel pump.
Where did you get the inertia switch?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
Russ/40

Quote:
The Airtex E8902 6 volt pump that I use is so quiet I can not hear it unless the engine is turned off.
I guess I was thinking of priming the system before starting the car.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Where did you get the inertia switch?
From Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=827879_0_0_
Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
40cpe

Quote:
Thank you
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
scooder

Does the pressure regulator effect the pull of the mechanical pump? I know the airtex pump will allow the mechanical pump to pull through with no issue. Just asking if the regulator effects stuff?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Does the pressure regulator effect the pull of the mechanical pump? I know the airtex pump will allow the mechanical pump to pull through with no issue. Just asking if the regulator effects stuff?
Martin.
No, it's only a "pressure" regulator meaning that it only activates when pushed against from the inlet. It's not a "suction" regulator that restricts in any way fuel being pulled through it. Neither is it a "flow" regulator. It does not reduce flow, only pressure. It allows full flow at the set pressure.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
Chris Nelson

Old Henry;
I noticed in your pictures that right behind the regulator your gas line is resting on a piece of framework that, with vibrations from driving, will wear through your gas line. The end result would be gas running all over the ground. A clip or piece of rubber hose wrapped around the line might save you a breakdown due to no gas getting to the carb.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nelson View Post
Old Henry;
I noticed in your pictures that right behind the regulator your gas line is resting on a piece of framework that, with vibrations from driving, will wear through your gas line. The end result would be gas running all over the ground. A clip or piece of rubber hose wrapped around the line might save you a breakdown due to no gas getting to the carb.
You might be right, in time, but that is where that gas line has been resting since it was installed by the factory 57 years ago. I just cut into the fuel line to insert the regulator. I'll check it though.

Thanks for your concern.