Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Mikec4193

Default What doors will fit open style cars?

HI Ford Barn Folks

I am looking at 2 different open Model A Fords, one is a pile of 1928/29 roadster parts (comes with a rolling chassis tho) the other is a more complete 1930/31 open cabriolet with no doors or grill shell or radiator. It appears complete (except those parts mentioned)and unrestored and about 2 hours from me.

My Ford Barn question is what other doors would fit the cabriolet body configuration? I am thinking front doors from a four-door sedan should fit but I am not sure. I know I can get reproduction roadster doors but they are kinda pricey (not too sure if they would even fit) so I was thinking if I could get something that would need patch panels and would fit too it might be a better choice.

Also, the difference in price between the 28-29 parts pile and the more together cabriolet is about $1000.00. Both are total projects too...

Any insight would be very appreciated.

MikeC
Mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: What doors will fit open style cars?

Mike, this is a tough call because we do not know your fabrication skill level nor do we know what the goal of the vehicle is. The Sedan doors are not a direct fit as you probably know, but could likely be modified to fit with enough hours spent on fabrication and metalfinishing. Are you sure it is a Cabriolet and not a Sport Coupe?? Also, depending on what you are trying to achieve, the Roadster might be a better option simply because used doors are available (-the rougher the cheaper) and might be easier to repair/fit in the long run. Sorry I could not be of more help but maybe with pictures of what you are looking at and your goals, I/we could offer you better advice. Good luck and welcome to Fordbarn.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
Bob Bidonde

The answer to your question can be found in the Ford Body Parts Price List. It will take some investigative digging in the doors section. Make a list of all open body numbers and look through the doors to find the ones that are listed for those cars.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

The easiest way to determine if the body is actually a Cabriolet in this state of disassembly is to look at the flooring rails. If wood, then it's a Cabriolet. If steel, it's a Sport Coupe. The entire body structure in a Cabriolet is made of wood, unlike the Sport Coupe, where wood in the body only acts as a base for tacking on upholstery panels.
Except for the late 1931 Cabriolet with slant windshield, Cabriolet doors are interchangeable between 1929 and the middle of 1931. That increases your odds of finding the missing doors. Note, however, that 1929 Cabriolets saw the early ones with wooden door pieces nailed to the wood framing, while the later ones were steel. Beneath the upholstery panels, though, who'd know the difference?
I agree with Brent on this one: your first foray into Model A's, go with a roadster. Parts are MUCH more readily available than for a Cabriolet and not nearly as expensive in most cases. The top pieces required for a Cabriolet alone will run into the thousands of dollars after being found, purchased and chrome plated. OUCH!!! $$$$ 'Been there - TWICE!
Marshall, early 1929 Cabriolet

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 10-18-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Mikec4193

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Mike, this is a tough call because we do not know your fabrication skill level nor do we know what the goal of the vehicle is. The Sedan doors are not a direct fit as you probably know, but could likely be modified to fit with enough hours spent on fabrication and metalfinishing. Are you sure it is a Cabriolet and not a Sport Coupe?? Also, depending on what you are trying to achieve, the Roadster might be a better option simply because used doors are available (-the rougher the cheaper) and might be easier to repair/fit in the long run. Sorry I could not be of more help but maybe with pictures of what you are looking at and your goals, I/we could offer you better advice. Good luck and welcome to Fordbarn.
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/c...714117304.html

Here is a link to the ad on our local craigslist...I thinking it is probably a Sport Coupe as you said...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00t0t_2mIu1bHTy9f_600x450.jpg (50.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 00101_htYzUT4rEQB_600x450.jpg (50.7 KB, 68 views)
Mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
jw hash

that is NOT a Cabriolet, it is a sport coupe
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Good thing that you found out NOW the '30-31 Model A you're considering buying is a Sport Coupe instead AFTER you had paid a Cabriolet price! I love Sport Coupes and they are snazzy looking. But they are not Cabriolets = the top does not go down. Their value is considerably less. Lots of 'em were made. Pay accordingly.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec4193 View Post
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/c...714117304.html

Here is a link to the ad on our local craigslist...I thinking it is probably a Sport Coupe as you said...

Well, you may be in luck for doors as the 50B Sport Coupe shares the same door with the 45B (regular) Coupe. While those doors are not available in reproduction, they are generally plentiful in all levels of condition. Best wishes for whichever bodystyle/vehicle you choose.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote