Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
fts1966

Default radiator information

our radiator is shot very bad condition, since we are rebuilding the engine we are looking into radiators as well. should we use the stock unit or is the new pressurized unit better or is there a reason to change?
fts1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: radiator information

An original-style radiator Radiator will more than suffice.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
kenparker

What Brent said. Unless you are going to push that new engine to its limits on a regular basis. ex. cruising for one or two hrs at 50 mph in Texas or Kansas summer heat. 50 plus mph at 100 degreees for an hour you is gonna need more radiator.

I would go for at leeast a Snyder HD (8 fins per inch) radiator - unless your are building a show car.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
An original-style radiator Radiator will more than suffice.
I agree.

We have never had an overheating problem with a good original style cooling system.

The Model A engine is designed to run in the 160 to 170 degree temperature range.

The natural flow of heated water up and out, cooler water down and in, along with the pump. Moves a lot of coolant.

Pressure will only raise the boiling point of whatever coolant you are using. Heat can become an enemy to your engine.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
fts1966

okay thanks for all the information. we will not be pushing it to it limits mostly
45 MPH on occasion and lot of city 25-35. I will check out the one that the others are talking about on other threads.

again Thank you all
fts1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
George Miller

If you use pressure you will likely have leaking water pump, unless you have one built for pressure.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Dave in MN

I agree with the guys above based on your description of how you plan to use your car.

I happen to use my touring car often like Ken Parker describes. I do use a Brassworks 4# pressurized system with an expansion or reclaim tank using a 50/50 antifreeze and water solution. I also have a 180 degree thermostat in the upper hose. The operating temp stays between 180 and 200 depending on how hard I push it.

Related to George's comment: I do use a "leakless" water pump built by James Rupert with the 4# system and do not have leaks. I think we drove close to 8,000 miles last summer and fall without adding coolant...so it works for me. To each his own...

My "stock" '28 pickup has an unpressurized system but I keep the speed under 55.

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-08-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I agree with others but use the heavy duty eight fins per inch radiator for good measure . A pressurized radiator could cause leaks with the primative cooling system of the model A .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
kenparker

Dave in MN. Minor point of correction. There are two Ken's in Texas. Ken Davis is the one on Ft Worth that builds A/C units ans shock kits. The Ken refered to in your post above is Ken Parker of Van, Texas. I used to build the F150 OD kits and post regularly here on FB. Maybe i need to start signing my post KenP isntead of just ken.
kenP
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Dave in MN. Minor point of correction. There are two Ken's in Texas. Ken Davis is the one on Ft Worth that builds A/C units ans shock kits. The Ken refered to in your post above is Ken Parker of Van, Texas. I used to build the F150 OD kits and post regularly here on FB. Maybe i need to start signing my post KenP isntead of just ken.
kenP
Ken, My mistake due to...Well, I don't know why! Senior moment I think? ...Thanks for the correction.
I will now go back and change the original post.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-08-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
gustafson
BANNED

I have to wonder where else the 'primative' Model A cooling system could leak? Radiator is biggest concern. I know of several hobbyists who run their A's pressurized and they have had no trouble for years. Especially if you got the Rupert pump

Last edited by gustafson; 03-08-2018 at 08:07 PM.
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #12
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon all...For me it depends on the engine that you have in your A. If it is standard bore and bone stock...and you don't live in the south or south west...then ok.
However if you do live in an area where it gets u over 90 or so in the summer, or you are going to climb lots of hills or your engine is bored out 100 over with a Snyder 5.9 head and a B Carburetor...then you are going to need more radiator to keep that modified engine running cool. For me the added safety and peace of mind that would come with a Brass Works heavy duty 4# system and a leakless water pump will just simply increase your enjoyment of your A with a lot less worry. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
WHN

We should not forget, no matter whether we like or dislike a pressure system, that the Model A engine was “NOT” designed that way.

A well running engine, with a properly restored and maintained cooling system, will do everything we would expect it to do.

Please remember, pressure just raises the temperature at which a fluid will boil. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
barkleydave

I and several others on her use the Berg HD radiator on my Touring CCPU.
It is a tank! Very well built. It is pricey but solved my overheat concerns driving in hilly country and Blue Ridge Mountains. I have a Rubert leakless pump and a 160 thermostat. Runs constant around 170-180 even at higher alt. and 90+ degree days.
(APCO temp gauge)
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote