Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 40 Ford DLX antenna

Deuce, that is a nice wagon! With such a small area to locate the antenna in I think it would be difficult to miss the location by much.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
deuce_roadster

JSeery, Thanks, it was a LOT of work. Wouldn't start on another Woodie!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
What do you mean by "dash antenna"? IF you mean the stock antenna that comes down from the header to the radio, then yes, I have one in my 40 Woodie. Probably pictures in my 40 Woodie album that shows how it fits. Same antenna as convertible. It goes up through a hole in the special mirror bracket that fits wagon and convertible and has a tapered rubber grommet where it goes through the garnish molding.
That's strange. On my 40 wagon there is the passage way thru the mirror but not a way thru the garnish rail. ???? The convertible antenna seems to long as well. I might have to cut it shorter??
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #24
deuce_roadster

I don't recall cutting anything on the antenna. One part slides inside of the other, maybe that is making it seem too long. There is also a spring in there that might be too long.
There is half a hole on end of each of the garnish moldings at the top and the short vertical piece that goes in the middle that the mirror screws through should have a hole at the top where it covers the joint in the large U shaped pieces. Since your vehicle didn't have a radio there may only be a small dimple where the hole should be.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #25
philipswanson

Yes, the garnish rail is in two pieces. The center division bar on the inside of the car extends upward with a lip or tang on it to cover the gap between the garnish rails just like it has on the bottom. No holes anywhere though for an antenna to pass. The mirror and its bracket are no where near the top of the division bar though so its still a mystery. Are you saying there might be a dimple for drilling through the tang at the top of the division bar? If there is, I sure don't see it.

Yes, I have the spring and two antenna lead in parts but when fully compressed its about 4" too long still.

Last edited by philipswanson; 08-28-2019 at 09:12 PM.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote