Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
gnolnor

Default How many classic cars got trapped because of Hurricane Harvey?

My wife and I were discussing the floods in southern Texas and the hardships of having to evacuate your home. Our thoughts and prayers for the evacuees, rescuers and their ordeal. If you can donate to the Red Cross, I'm sure they will need the funds to help the victims. My wife said,
"What did they do with their antique and classic cars and projects? Good
question!
gnolnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:16 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: How many classic cars got trapped because of Hurricane Harvey?

Simple answer, many will probably be destroyed. Those involved were and probably still are more concerned with saving themselves rather than worry about "their antique and classic cars and projects"
Old 08-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
rotorwrench

There were some pretty wealthy neighborhoods that got flooded same as po-folks. Their is more than a good chance that many are affected sad to say.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Be aware the used car market will be 'flooded' (no pun intended) with water damaged cars just like after Super Storm Sandy and Katrina.

Check 'em out carefully buyer beware. They will start showing up all across the country.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
GB SISSON

On a lighter note, I remember an article in a model A publication about a couple of guys that hoisted an A out of a lake where it had rested for 30 plus years. It had fallen through the ice while it's owners were ice fishing. The article says they had it running and driving by the end of the weekend.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
wisbangman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Many of us watch ' Fast and Loud ' on TV. ' The Gas Monkey ' garage is located in Texas. I wonder if they got hit !
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
grumppyoldman

Not living down here on the Texas coast, it would be hard to understand what's happening. I find it hard to believe the flooding around Houston, we live south-east on Galveston bay and so far haven't had water in our house yet. I am not complaining, but I can't believe it. If we can hold out until tomorrow we will have survived the heart aches that so many others are going through, we have had 27+ in of rain so far. All roads are flooded and we could not leave by road if we wanted too my daughter and son-in-law had to evacuate Dickinson yesterday, they are safe now. Thanks again for the prayer's. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbangman View Post
Many of us watch ' Fast and Loud ' on TV. ' The Gas Monkey ' garage is located in Texas. I wonder if they got hit !

The Fast and Loud Gas Monkey Garage is in Dallas, TX. Pretty far north of the flood area and towards the east side of the state.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Vintage Copper 47

Gas Monkey "richard" in what I have seen of his show, will probably "screw" quite a few people out of their classic cars damaged by the hurricane.. Aaron seems like a decent fellow, I heard he left the show.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Full-O-Gas Monkey Garage was up in Dallas.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
woodiewagon46

I'm sure that it's too early to know. I looked thru the Rosters of the clubs that I belong to NSRA, MAFC, AACA, V-8 Ford Club and National Woodie Club and unfortunately there are many listed. Hopefully they aren't in the flooded areas. We need to do all that we can for those affected.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #12
paul2748

If it's just plain water, many can be brought back. if it's salt water, chances are they are lost if not cleaned quickly.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
I'm sure that it's too early to know. I looked thru the Rosters of the clubs that I belong to NSRA, MAFC, AACA, V-8 Ford Club and National Woodie Club and unfortunately there are many listed. Hopefully they aren't in the flooded areas. We need to do all that we can for those affected.
I never even gave the classic/antique cars a thought until I read this post, but I was thinking a lot about the people who live in that area of Texas. My wife and I were discussing the best way or best organization that we could make a contribution to where the money would actually get to the victims who need help. Any suggestions on who the best organization would be to make a contribution to? Red Cross maybe?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
Royal Ryser

You might check out UMCOR (United Methodist Commission On Relief). Their overhead is covered by other funds. 100% of what is donated goes directly to the victims.
They are probably on the scene by now.
Thanks for donating for those people in such need.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
cuzncletus

Off of old cars: Check out your charities carefully. Many, including one mentioned, have a high percentage of their donations go to high salaried CEO's, big advertising budgets, or money donated for a cause may be diverted to other areas. That happened here last year after the fires that ravaged Gatlinburg. Sites are available on the net that rate charities by percentage of donations that actually end up going to the cause.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #16
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzncletus View Post
Off of old cars: Check out your charities carefully. Many, including one mentioned, have a high percentage of their donations go to high salaried CEO's, big advertising budgets, or money donated for a cause may be diverted to other areas. That happened here last year after the fires that ravaged Gatlinburg. Sites are available on the net that rate charities by percentage of donations that actually end up going to the cause.
I've found "charitynavigator.org" to be useful for making charitable donations. They have published a list of charities which are involved in this effort.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #17
Cecil/WV

I would give to ADRA. 100% goes for relief. Just Google to find it.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzncletus View Post
................ Check out your charities carefully. Many, including one mentioned, have a high percentage of their donations go to high salaried CEO's, big advertising budgets, or money donated for a cause may be diverted to other areas. That happened here last year after the fires that ravaged Gatlinburg....................
Talk to any veteran that was in Vietnam, or even Korea, about "the one mentioned" I wouldn't give those yeah-hoos the time of day. They'll give you an ear full and set you straight.

Salvation Army is a wonderful group. They are not for-profit like 'the one mentioned' is.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #19
1942deluxe

X2 on the Salvation Army. Not high on the Red Cross from my time in the military and having gone thru a F4 tornado. Also Salvation Army was great to work with when I was in the fire service.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
Gas Monkey "richard" in what I have seen of his show, will probably "screw" quite a few people out of their classic cars damaged by the hurricane.. Aaron seems like a decent fellow, I heard he left the show.

If people get screwed on the sale price of a car when dealing with Richard Rawlings, it's their own fault. Never saw him hold a gun to someone's head and demand the money.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote