Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
decling

Default Cracked block "Bad Deal"

Sorry, kind of long. Needed to vent.
I am in the process of getting my flathead built for my 38 Ford pickup.
I purchased a complete engine and disassembled it (Mercury block and crank) and delivered to machine shop. It looked like an excellent block but failed miserably on the pressure test to the point of not using that block.

I put out a post on some sites looking for an 8BA block. I found several but a long distance away. I was contacted by a hot rod business in the greater Dallas area specializing in flatheads and old car parts. Told me he had a short block if I was interested and was coming out my way and would deliver free for $300 for basically a block , standard Ford crank and flywheel that was still in it. We conversed back and forth multiple times with pictures and I circled some spots to ask about. I was told they were grease or cob webs and there were no obvious cracks, even the minor normal ones, and he said he tried to get picture to show that it wasn't. He delivered the block wrapped up and lifting chains still bolted on under wrapping. Unloaded and I was going to set on engine stand and unwrap an give chains back. He said no he would get them later as he wanted to purchase some other parts I had at a later date and could send back then.
Next morning put on stand and unwrapped turned over on head side and stopped. There were 2 cylinders with cracks in them and one area between the valve cracked under seat all the way through to valve port area and the other has been welded it looks like. I contacted and he said didn't know how he missed that but would look locally to try and get another block or had another back at shop.

I had been contacted after I had made the above deal by someone local but was to late with other deal made. So now I contacted and ended up buying this one as it was complete engine fan to driveshaft for $400. I told the other guy I got this one and offered for him to give me the $400 I paid for this and he could have his short block back and could have all the other parts from the one I got to help offset his cost and probably still make money or refund my original $300 and take his block back, since he said he would try and find one locally. I thought that was a more than fair deal. Wow, did I judge him wrong, he blasted said I demanded and whatever then quit communicating.

At this point I am glad I didn't get another block from this vendor.

What I was told I was buying ( great block, no obvious cracks) was NOT what I received. I understand these blocks have cracks that is why I asked. I would not have bought if I had been shown the cracks in cylinders and under valve seats and pinned cracks. If it looked as good as I was lead to believe and failed after hot dipping and pressure testing and magnaflux then I would have had no issue, luck of the draw. But, either in haste of getting ready to bring or .... I felt what I was lead to believe and what I received I felt a refund was in order. So I will never use this vendor again.

I am going to get rid of this block, last one I bought was great. Question is is it worth anything to someone wanting to put the expense of trying to repair or is it an art project?

Lesson learned always open and inspect 100% before taking possession.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201123_195549850(1)-min.jpg (47.6 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201123_195528225(1)-min.jpg (39.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201123_195451387-min.jpg (63.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201126_162256080-min.jpg (50.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201126_162345173-min.jpg (54.8 KB, 137 views)
decling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
decling

Default Re: Cracked block "Bad Deal"

More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201123_195411211-min.jpg (69.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201123_195357220-min.jpg (64.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Ggmac

Im sorry for your bad deal . Unfortunately all too many honest guys have past on . I know venting helps hurt the sting . Good luck on your new build .
Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
decling

Thanks Gary
It is going good now was down watching it get bored. Should have a running flathead in about 2 weeks. Then get working on the rest of the truck.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
tubman

I don't understand why guys try to keep the guys who screwed them over secret.

We would all benefit by knowing who "they" are.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
decling

It was Rods N Rails Krum, TX.

Last edited by decling; 12-14-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
tubman

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
rockfla

Just got a call from a local block welder who knows I'm a flathead guy with a similar story of whoa......Fellow bought a block from up north for his 33, "didn't have a crack" the seller said....he was right......It didn't have A crack, it had 4 cracks!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
decling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Just got a call from a local block welder who knows I'm a flathead guy with a similar story of whoa......Fellow bought a block from up north for his 33, "didn't have a crack" the seller said....he was right......It didn't have A crack, it had 4 cracks!!!!

That is not good.

My issues was I was under the impression that a business that specializes in these parts and should be knowledgeable of what a crack and cylinder crack looks like and that it had been pinned and would let me know if a problem. If they legit missed it a good business would admit their mistake and should not be an issue if customer wanted their money back.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

I's hard to believe that today, in America, there are so many Mean, Sneaky Men that would not report real facts about a block, in an attempt to keep someone from making an "informed decision", or to cloud or hide the actual facts about the merits or integrity of a block......for the purpose of encouraging someone to choose a worthless candidate for a new engine. Sad situation! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #11
texas webb

Very true signature line V8CoopMan
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

I's hard to believe that today, in America, there are so many Mean, Sneaky Men that would not report real facts about a block, in an attempt to keep someone from making an "informed decision", or to cloud or hide the actual facts about the merits or integrity of a block......for the purpose of encouraging someone to choose a worthless candidate for a new engine. Sad situation! DD
Today, in America, I have no problem believing that Mean, Sneaky Men such as this exist. Your signature line (which I agree with completely) seems to confirm this.

At least we know someone to avoid from all of this.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #13
Frank Miller

If I'm selling you something I think is good I want you to inspect it upon delivery. Then we can agree on what was delivered and you cannot unwrap it after you dropped it and accuse me of something. Makes sense from both ends.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
If I'm selling you something I think is good I want you to inspect it upon delivery. Then we can agree on what was delivered and you cannot unwrap it after you dropped it and accuse me of something. Makes sense from both ends.
That part of the deal would be a huge red flag to me. Said he'll get the stuff later? No way, chief. Unwrap it now and take your stuff.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #15
1952henry

Talking Re: Cracked block "Bad Deal"

In[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;1961347].

I's hard to believe that today, in America, there are so many Mean, Sneaky Men that would not report real facts about a block, in an attempt to keep someone from making an "informed decision", or to cloud or hide the actual facts about the merits or integrity of a block......for the purpose of encouraging someone to choose a worthless candidate for a new engine.

Should be treated like a horse thief. This is clever.

Last edited by 1952henry; 12-10-2020 at 11:40 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
mike in tucson

When I buy an unknown flathead block, I tell the seller that he can take it
to a shop to get it hot tanked and magnafluxed. IF it passes, I will pay his
price plus pay for the hot tank and mag. If it doesnt pass, I will pay for
the hot tank and mag but not buy the block. I have never had a seller turn
me down since he finds out if the block is good or bad on my magnaflux
nickel. I dont take possession until it passes mag.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
decling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in tucson View Post
When I buy an unknown flathead block, I tell the seller that he can take it
to a shop to get it hot tanked and magnafluxed. IF it passes, I will pay his
price plus pay for the hot tank and mag. If it doesnt pass, I will pay for
the hot tank and mag but not buy the block. I have never had a seller turn
me down since he finds out if the block is good or bad on my magnaflux
nickel. I dont take possession until it passes mag.

You have a good point. Lesson learned the hard way sting sometimes. If I ever have to get another block that would be the best thing to do.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #18
mike in tucson

By the way, I pay the shop that did the hot tank and mag directly... I figure the shop will be honest with me if I am paying. I have bought blocks sight unseen and have never been stung. Also, it is somewhat of a deterrent if the seller knows it wont pass mag...he is less likely to load it up and take it to the shop. I think that I have chosen the shop in every case so far.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote