Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #21
dumb person

Default Re: What did I just buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
But then I'd have to come up with a title.....And in second gear it's about all I can handle. So far it has one brake. The right rear. Oh, and the band parking brake. No rods to the front. Whatever........
You can't title it as a farm vehicle? Not sure tractors had VINs. I've never seen one with one.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
katy

Quote:
Could I just wire one up from something else to see?
It's worth a try. If running an original coil the proper value is .22 mfd. .47 mfd is a common value and I would guess it would work.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #23
GB SISSON

I'm on a 12 v coil running through a ceramic resistor on the firewall. I have some early v8 condensors. What do I wire to and do I need to remove the condenser that's in there? Thinking the condenser body screws to ground and the wire connector to movable point, stationary point????? Oh and I pulled the manifolds off today after work and flattened them on my 3' edge sander. Found a set of manifold gaskets hanging on a nail and that part is done. Sealed up tight. One more thing..... Here's a quick slideshow of my last project.

https://spark.adobe.com/video/M0ynvLlPj2GCC
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 12-09-2019 at 11:28 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #24
katy

Remove the original condenser, attach replacement between movable points arm and ground.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #25
Purdy Swoft

A modern condenser can be attached to the firewall , or the coil bracket for ground . The pigtail wire on the modern condenser should be connected to the switch side of the coil . The switch side of the coil will have a red wire unless the wiring has been changed to a different color wire than was originally used . Where the condenser mounts is the ground and must be clean and tight or it won't run . This puts the condenser in an easy spot to remove and replace whenever necessary. I have run a modern condenser mounted and connected in this manner for over twelve years . An old model A guy showed me this back in 1960 and it is plenty close to the points and has worked perfectly for me . The condenser will run cooler and last longer . The modern condenser will be easy to remove and replace when mounted in this manner . I've been told that the original condenser must be removed from the distributor when this setup is used . I use the modern condenser that is offered with the V8 points setup . The last condenser that was used with V8 Fords can usually be found locally . The condenser doesn't know the difference between 6 or 12 volts because I have used them both ways . This is about as simple as it can get and can easily be reversed .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-10-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
A modern condenser can be attached to the firewall , or the coil bracket for ground . The pigtail wire on the modern condenser should be connected to the switch side of the coil . The switch side of the coil will have a red wire unless the wiring has been changed to a different color wire than was originally used . Where the condenser mounts is the ground and must be clean and tight or it won't run . This puts the condenser in an easy spot to remove and replace whenever necessary. I have run a modern condenser mounted and connected in this manner for over twelve years . An old model A guy showed me this back in 1960 and it is plenty close to the points and has worked perfectly for me . The condenser will run cooler and last longer . The modern condenser will be easy to remove and replace when mounted in this manner . I've been told that the original condenser must be removed from the distributor when this setup is used . I use the modern condenser that is offered with the V8 points setup . The last condenser that was used with V8 Fords can usually be found locally . The condenser doesn't know the difference between 6 or 12 volts because I have used them both ways . This is about as simple as it can get and can easily be reversed .
Excellent! I will give it a try tomorrow after work. Thank you very much.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote