Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #21
Desoto291Hemi

Default Re: Chevy to Flathead distributor

I might be wrong ,,,,but what I think Ron was saying ,,,,,,,was,,,,,the rings would last 20000 more miles from the egge pistons ?
I think he was talking about the ring package,,,,,being a more robust ring ?

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
I might be wrong ,,,,but what I think Ron was saying ,,,,,,,was,,,,,the rings would last 20000 more miles from the egge pistons ?
I think he was talking about the ring package,,,,,being a more robust ring ?

Tommy
Still, rings only lasting 20,000 miles is extremely poor and super costly if you think about having to tear down and re-ring every 20K. That is the advantage of modern metric ring packs. They do not wear like cast iron rings, but aren't forgiving to an out of round bore.

I think Ronnie Roadster has close to 80K on the blown Ardun motor in his roadster. He runs Ross pistons with Metric ring packs.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 04-26-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

I think I was looking at Hypereutectic Pistons. I also used a set of steel strutted 3/8x 3/8 296ci pitons in Ron Horrells engine. These pistons can be fir wit .0015/,0025 clearance with a good ring pack should last 100k. If your gona spend allot of money on a "Street engine" you might as well do it right, instead of making excuses. I do think that Ross makes a great "Racing piston"
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Still, rings only lasting 20,000 miles is extremely poor and super costly if you think about having to tear down and re-ring every 20K. That is the advantage of modern metric ring packs. They do not wear like cast iron rings, but aren't forgiving to an out of round bore.

I think Ronnie Roadster has close to 80K on the blown Ardun motor in his roadster. He runs Ross pistons with Metric ring packs.

Ol' Ron said that the Egge piston/ring package would last 20,000 MORE miles than a Ross piston/ring setup. This is because the closer cylinder wall clearance holds the rings perpendicular to the cylinder wall so as they wear the entire ring face remains in contact with the cylinder. With loose clearances that a forged piston needs, the piston rocks in the cylinder and the ring face is rounded, and no longer seals well. From a side view, an old Egge ring face will look like "l". while the worn Ross ring will look like ")".
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:34 PM   #25
Krylon32

I'll never live long enough to wear out this motor, that's if it ever sees the road?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #26
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Ol' Ron said that the Egge piston/ring package would last 20,000 MORE miles than a Ross piston/ring setup. This is because the closer cylinder wall clearance holds the rings perpendicular to the cylinder wall so as they wear the entire ring face remains in contact with the cylinder. With loose clearances that a forged piston needs, the piston rocks in the cylinder and the ring face is rounded, and no longer seals well. From a side view, an old Egge ring face will look like "l". while the worn Ross ring will look like ")".
OK, thanks. I didn't read it that way. Thanks for the clarification.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:40 AM   #27
Ol' Ron

Thanks Tim, getting old, can't see what i'm saying.. Just trying to help.
Gramps.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote