Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
bogiediver

Question Installing a '31 Roadster passenger side stanchion mounted mirror

Got conflicting information from various sources...

Marco indicated the driver's side is supposed to drilled with a nut on the inside of the stanchion, as I found on mine. I asked him because I was taking the driver's side mirror off to check the thread and discovered there is a nut that appears to be somewhat loose inside the stanchion. I was able to pull out on the stem while turning and got the nut to tighten back up and then also tightened the jam nut - so I think the driver's side is good again. But, he didn't really address the passenger side.

I wasn't expecting a nut inside - I thought the stanchion was drilled and tapped. I was planning to do the same for the passenger side.

I sent the following request to two of the vendors who sell the mirror...

1930-31 Post Mirror

How is this mounted to the passenger side of a '31 Roadster that does not currently have one?

Is it simply drill the 25/64" hole, tap with 7/16-20 thread?

Is there enough metal for the threads to
hold?

I've heard others say a nut inside the stanchion is required... if so, how does one do that?

Thanks for the advice.

One reply said:
The stanchion has enough metal there for the threads to hold (with the jam nut) and is just drilled at 25/64ths and tapped at 7/16-20.

Second reply said:
There is not adequate metal thickness to just "drill and tap" the stanchion.

You will need to backup the area with a taped 7/16-14 nut plate. The other small modification is the area where the mirror mounts should be flattened for the mirror to mount securely and match the drivers side.

The inner post liner will need to be removed to access the inside of the stanchion. You will need a thin abrasive wheel to cut through the welds without damaging the stanchion. The liner will need to be re-welded when you reinstall it.

Not an impossible task, just time consuming and patience is needed.

One makes it sound easy - the other not so much (also note they mention different tap sizes. - my using the jam nut to size it comes in at the 7/16-20...)

Anyone done the simple drill and tap? How's it worked out over time?

Don't like the wind-wing mirror - have one, can't see anything out of it - too much vibration and just more weight for the brackets to have to support - so that's not a viable alternative.

Thanks!!

Last edited by bogiediver; 04-30-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: minor typo
bogiediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
peters180a/170b

Default Re: Installing a '31 Roadster passenger side stanchion mounted mirror

There "IS" a nut about a 1/4 inch thick 1 inch long and 1/2 wide that's is spotted welded to the inside stanchion. . the stanchion is about 16th of a inch thick and forget about tapping it for the pass. side...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
RonC

Why do you want a passenger side mirror? Is it for looks? I think the mirror will be useless otherwise. By the way they did not come with one on the passenger side originally.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
bogiediver

I'd like the mirror to use... the wing-wing mirror is not good, but better than no mirror. I figure the passenger side mirror will be better than the wing-wing mirror. I use the driver's side mirror all the time to watch for those not paying attention behind and to the left of me - would like to see the right side as well...

I know they didn't originally come with a passenger side mirror - but my roadster is for my driving pleasure and I'd like one. So, if I'm going to have one, I'd like it to match the driver's side.

If the stanchion isn't thick enough metal to just drill and tap - I'd like to hear from someone who has done the dis-assembly of the passenger side stanchion to install the nut plate as described - anyone done it?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Installing a '31 Roadster passenger side stanchion mounted mirror

Some of the bigger Model-A parts houses. Sell a pair of the deluxe roadster/phaeton windshield stanchions with the left and right sides
set up for stanchion mounted mirrors.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Aerocraft

I had to install a right side mirror in my '31 Deluxe Roadster after having a vision restriction placed on my license at my last DMV drivers test.

The right stanchion did not have a cage nut inside. I had to drill the hole using the left side as a pattern. I used a thin nut of the right diameter and thread which fit tightly inside so that it did not require holding to tighten the shaft. I did not use a cage nut or nut plate. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
bogiediver

Aerocraft-

Am I correct to assume you did the dis-assembly of the right stanchion? If so, any tips?

Bob-A -

For $240.00 - I'll try dis-assembly/drilling first - new can be my back-up plan...
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
sphooch

good luck with your mirror installation, I'm gonna be doing the same thing ,only on the driver side. I have the stanchion with the hole but missing the mirror . So as one fella pointed out a 1-4 in. nut about 1in. long ,just braze it in or tack it in . I dont see a problem.
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
peters180a/170b

I spoke to Doug Bruce today knowing he did this in the past. Its allot of work doing it. There is a cover inside that must be taken off to do it right. He feels that doing this is ruining a good original right side stanchion... buy a repro stanchion from A+L Parts $170.00 [i have my reason for this,,,there is another repro stanchion being made that is pure junk] and sell your good original one to recoupe some of you money [if you like].I would keep it just incase a new owner does not like dual mirrors..Just my 3 cents
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Aerocraft

Bob A: I had to break the bottom spot weld loose which held the stainless "insert" in place in order to slide the nut in place. Used some "CA" modelers glue to replace the spotweld once finished with the assembly. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
old31

This 4 year old thread is the only info I could find for installation of right mirror on a deluxe roadster.

FYI, for anyone looking to install a mirror. I drilled a 25/64" hole, and tapped it with a 7/16-20 thread. There was enough thread to screw in the mirror and fasten it securely with the provided nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror right side.jpg (37.8 KB, 34 views)
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote