Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Just Got Another Broken Generator P.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MD View Post
USPS has also contracted with DHL to ship some items. I had thought DHL had ceased most operations in the US.
Dave
At work, the post office delivers anything that was originally shipped via DLH.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Well, it looks like I should run out and buy a lottery ticket. My glass battery jar arrived in one piece. I was standing at the end of the drive so I could get it from the driver. I told him about the broken generator I got the other day, and he told me when the people sort into the bins at our post office, they just throw the boxes into the bins. There is high turnover at our post office, so that says something about wanting to do a good job.

BTW, the battery jar reads "DELCO LIGHT" and "EXIDE".
Does anyone know if these two companies are connected?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delco Light Jar.jpg (78.0 KB, 18 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #23
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
. . .BTW, the battery jar reads "DELCO LIGHT" and "EXIDE".
Does anyone know if these two companies are connected?
Charles Kettering owned the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (Delco) when the 32V farm generator system was first marketed.

"Exide" is a trade moniker that stood for 'excellent oxide' and was used by the Electric Storage Battery Company for their improved battery technology.

Kettering's (Delco's) first dealing with the Electric Storage Battery Company was some time in 1909-1910 when he was developing the electric starter for the 1911 Cadillac. He needed a strong battery that didn't weigh hundreds of pounds and the EXIDE battery connection began.

I can only speculate from here, but, among Kettering's many talents, projects, and limited time, chemical engineering was not one of his strong suits. He likely subcontracted with the Electric Storage Battery Company for design and supply of cells for the farm system just as he did for the Cadillac battery. Thus the "DELCO LIGHT" and "EXIDE" on the glass jars.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #24
denis4x4

I use various sizes of Rubbermaid plastic containers and secure the lids with at least 8 or 10 wire ties through 1/4" holes drilled through the lid and lip of the container. I generally also include a return shipping label inside the container.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #25
Drive Shaft Dave

Well i suppose if the pulley had been removed and carefully packaged into some styrofoam it probably would have survived.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive Shaft Dave View Post
Well i suppose if the pulley had been removed and carefully packaged into some styrofoam it probably would have survived.
That might have helped, but mailing some heavy parts is still risky. When the box is thrown and dropped, the heavy armature wants to continue in motion even after the cement floor has stopped the case. I had to fix a restored powerhouse for this very reason some years ago.

I just find it totally unacceptable that any postal worker is not fired for throwing and dropping packages. What other job can you purposely damage things and not get fired.

The seller is good enough to be sending me another pulley. Luckily this is a generator I bought for standby, just in case someone needs it someday.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 04-12-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #27
old car guy

Several years ago I had a tach drive generator off a 1957 corvette come into my possession thru a Auction. I advertised it and it sold fairly quick . I knew it was a very hard piece to find especially since it was a nos piece. I made a wooden crate with semi circular plywood stays to hold it up in the crate . Wrapped it in a very thick high density foam padding then put into a plastic bag bolted the box together and then spray foamed the voids. Put cardboard 3 layers on the box and sent it off. I swear a tank could have drove over it without damage. I was wrong when it got to the end user it looked like a tank had driven over it.
I spent several weeks dealing the the po and was told it was improperly packed . I argued till I was blue in the face. That was the end for me. You could see the skid marks on the box and tire tracks. I still believe to this day it was run over dropped from a high distance.how what when who knows but it made a believer out of me. The buyer was pissed, I was pissed but in the end I was the one screwed. The worst of it was this was a really one of a kind piece that might never show up again. It was a sad ending