Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
jbrenek

Default Carb

I picked up what I thought was a Tillotson carb for a model b motor. After further investigation it is a E.A. Bessom. It looks relitively the same. It looks from the patent # it was filed in 1917 and were produced in 1925 . Is anybody heard of using this on a b motor ? Or any other info on a stock carb for this motor ?
thanks,
jim
jbrenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Carb

If the carb was made in 1925 it probably won't put out enough CFM for the model B engine . I've never heard of an E.A. Besom carburetor .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
jbrenek

the name got from a patents research , i never heard of him either. its almost identical looking as a tillotson. the picture of it in patents does not look quite like the one i have, maybe they changed the design ? #1536043. thanks for responding.
jim
jbrenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrenek View Post
the name got from a patents research , i never heard of him either. its almost identical looking as a tillotson. the picture of it in patents does not look quite like the one i have, maybe they changed the design ? #1536043. thanks for responding.
jim
Photo?? I'd like to see it?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Joe K

E.A. Bessom was the inventor of what became the Marvel Schlebler carburetor of current day Ebay, swap meets, and critique because of its pot metal construction. The patent number above is the clue.

More discussion of the M-S carb at https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...9836&showall=1

Reports are they're not a bad carb. Sightly less prone to warp than a Tillotson as they're a little more "compact."

Available aftermarket in the late 1930s but their heyday was the 1950s-1960s and were commonly available from J.C. Whitney, Western Auto, and Pep-Boys.

I have a couple. One came with other parts, the other I paid $3 for over at Amherst, NH Flea Market. Some use a more typical Model A GAV driver, most use a unique hex-based driver - which can be replicated but complete carbs including the driver are SOOO easy to find. Missing the GAV driver is a reason to bypass a M-S.

If its the M-S - it probably could be used on a Model B - but like putting on a Model A Zenith you'll be a little "air restricted." The CFM ratings of Model A Zenith and M-S are similar.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 08-28-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote