Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Cecil/WV
Senior Member
 
Cecil/WV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gerrardstown, WV
Posts: 2,167
Smile First trip

I drove my '40 pickup to the AACA regional meet yesterday at the Howard Co Fairgrounds near Baltimore and it was the first real trip it has taken since restoration completion. I had just under 400 miles on it with all local running since I completed it and was getting around 13 mpg. Yesterday, with all highway driving, 150 miles round trip, it got 17 mpg, running between 55-60. It hasn't used any oil or water yet and never went over 190 in low 90's temp. I'm happy!!
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: stratford,ct
Posts: 5,971
Default Re: First trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I drove my '40 pickup to the AACA regional meet yesterday at the Howard Co Fairgrounds near Baltimore and it was the first real trip it has taken since restoration completion. I had just under 400 miles on it with all local running since I completed it and was getting around 13 mpg. Yesterday, with all highway driving, 150 miles round trip, it got 17 mpg, running between 55-60. It hasn't used any oil or water yet and never went over 190 in low 90's temp. I'm happy!!
Way to go Cecil. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Ken Crans
Senior Member
 
Ken Crans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Highland,MI
Posts: 1,196
Default Re: First trip

Cecil, Isn't cool when your rollin' down the road and everybodys gawking at you with a big smile on your face with those hands a white knuckling the wheel in full enjoyment! LOL Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Vergil
Senior Member
 
Vergil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tehachapi, CA
Posts: 361
Default Re: First trip

Congratulation Cecil, that is what makes all the work and problem solving worthwhile and as said it does put a smile on the face.

Vergil
__________________
Bigger fonts to aid in reading
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Hamtown Al
Senior Member
 
Hamtown Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smithfield, Va
Posts: 818
Default Re: First trip

Great, great, GREAT! Attaboy!
Very glad all went well. Now what are you working on?
Congrats. Al
__________________
36 Fords Rule! Visit at www.36fords.com.
Hamtown Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Sid the Maineiac
Senior Member
 
Sid the Maineiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norridgewock,Maine
Posts: 632
Default Re: First trip

Great Job, Cecil! Great little truck you 've got there! I'm sure you drive it with greater pride and satisfaction!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
41ford1
Senior Member
 
41ford1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ManchVegas, New Hampshah
Posts: 1,529
Default Re: First trip

Very nice. Here is mine during the New England tour. Ambient temp was about 95. I had no problems as long as I was moving. I got separated from the rest of the group and let it idle too long. Not pretty! I got a pair of pumps rebuilt by Skip. The next step is to run a cooling system clean and install them and maybe install an electric helper fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 Sick from the heat.JPG (177.3 KB, 20 views)
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Cecil/WV
Senior Member
 
Cecil/WV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gerrardstown, WV
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: First trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Crans View Post
Cecil, Isn't cool when your rollin' down the road and everybodys gawking at you with a big smile on your face with those hands a white knuckling the wheel in full enjoyment! LOL Ken
I got several thumbs up!
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
oldford2
Senior Member
 
oldford2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: pittsfield, MA
Posts: 1,938
Default Re: First trip

Cecil,
We know how fun it is to do some long range cruising in an old Ford. We just drove our 46 on a 1600 mile (r/t) to Nova Scotia. 85 to 90 degree heat on the interstates @ 60mph and the cars and trucks wizzing by at 75-85. Lots of smiles, thumbs up, and picture taking as they went by. All the windows and vents open to get air to keep us cool and boy are those 18 wheelers noisy as they go by. Met you in Hartford last year when you drove up from WV. What are you driving to Saratoga next year? We are heading to Cape Cod in a few weeks (500 r/t). We are both 71 so these are fun "adventures". My message: These old Fords are more fun driving them than sitting at a car show all day.
John

John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
Cecil/WV
Senior Member
 
Cecil/WV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gerrardstown, WV
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: First trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Crans View Post
Cecil, Isn't cool when your rollin' down the road and everybodys gawking at you with a big smile on your face with those hands a white knuckling the wheel in full enjoyment! LOL Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtown Al View Post
Great, great, GREAT! Attaboy!
Very glad all went well. Now what are you working on?
Congrats. Al
Al, I need to repaint my '85 Chev 1 ton diesel pickup and then get to work on my '52 F-7.
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Cecil/WV
Senior Member
 
Cecil/WV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gerrardstown, WV
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: First trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Maineiac View Post
Great Job, Cecil! Great little truck you 've got there! I'm sure you drive it with greater pride and satisfaction!
I drove it farther yesterday then I have ever driven it at one time in 30 years of ownership. It wasn't dependable before, but now??? it seems to be good. I am driving it to Frederick next Sunday to another show, about 90 miles round trip.
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Cecil/WV
Senior Member
 
Cecil/WV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gerrardstown, WV
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: First trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Very nice. Here is mine during the New England tour. Ambient temp was about 95. I had no problems as long as I was moving. I got separated from the rest of the group and let it idle too long. Not pretty! I got a pair of pumps rebuilt by Skip. The next step is to run a cooling system clean and install them and maybe install an electric helper fan.
I have Skips pumps and his coil. Mine runs okay temp wise as long as I don't drive too fast or too slow. With the fan on the crank, it is so low that the blades are a bit below the bottom of the radiator. I think that I get some miles on the new engine, it may run a bit cooler. It seems like it is better already.
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
41ford1
Senior Member
 
41ford1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ManchVegas, New Hampshah
Posts: 1,529
Default Re: First trip

Cecil,

Drive it and enjoy it. Now that you have it reliable, go man go. I plan on doing the same with mine when I have the minor issues taken care of. The NE tour was a blast. Nothing like touring the country side in an old Ford.

Chuck
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
Kens 36
Senior Member
 
Kens 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 193
Default Re: First trip

Great job Cecil. A long time coming - I'm sure you are happy! Enjoy it!

Ken
__________________
http://www.nirgv8.org
Kens 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
Henry/Kokomo
Senior Member
 
Henry/Kokomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 1,731
Default Re: First trip

Way to go! Looking forward to getting my '46 in shape to be able to do that. Congratulations on a job well done.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
G.M.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida and Penna.
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: First trip

Cecil make sure your 4 lb pressure cap is seating down on the bottom seat and fill the radiator within 2"s from the top of the tank. With new hoses they don't expand as much as older ones even though there is almost 5 feet of radiator hose. with the 2"s from the TOP of the tank the system will completely fill up and you won't have any air. Don't forget about compression leaks. You don't want to go down that road. Purple Ice?? Check the center and at the rear of the heads for hot spots. If you didn't put in 2 bottles put it and watch the hot spots disapear in 15 to 20 minutes. G.M.
__________________
www.fordcollector.com
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
Cecil/WV
Senior Member
 
Cecil/WV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gerrardstown, WV
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: First trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Cecil make sure your 4 lb pressure cap is seating down on the bottom seat and fill the radiator within 2"s from the top of the tank. With new hoses they don't expand as much as older ones even though there is almost 5 feet of radiator hose. with the 2"s from the TOP of the tank the system will completely fill up and you won't have any air. Don't forget about compression leaks. You don't want to go down that road. Purple Ice?? Check the center and at the rear of the heads for hot spots. If you didn't put in 2 bottles put it and watch the hot spots disapear in 15 to 20 minutes. G.M.
George, I have a red washer under the cap and it hasn't lost any water, stays less than 2 " from top. I think I put Purple Ice in last summer when I filled it up, but not sure. Maybe put in some more?? The temp is pretty even all over each head, although the left side is a few degrees higher than the rt. If I didn't have manual gauges on each head, I would never think a thing about the temp, because the stock gauge never goes over 3/4. Sunday am, going to the show, while it was around 70 degees, it never ran over 165. It always climbs some when under a load.
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
G.M.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida and Penna.
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: First trip

If you have a laser pointed thermometer check the temperatures on the heads where the hoses atttach. Check them at the same place each time holding the gun the same distance away and at the same angle. This is the important temperature as it is the combined coolant temperature of all 4 cylinders on that side of the engine. The radiator temperature don't tell much other then being hot because it is a mixture of the water from both sides of the engine. As you know but to repeat it for others there is NO connection inside of block for water between the left and right sides. They should run within a few degrees of each other. I don't where you would see any temperature raise in an empty truck from short load bursts. I don't see any noticeable changes in cars or my empty P/U. Like you said could be the engine is still a little tight. Sounds like your having FUN. G.M.
__________________
www.fordcollector.com
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
TomT/Williamsburg
Senior Member
 
TomT/Williamsburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia
Posts: 2,253
Default Re: First trip

Great news, Cecil - glad to hear you had a successful trip! It's always cool, cruising down the highway, not rushing to get anywhere, and every day is Sunday. But it's even better in an old car - seems more "period correct" to me!!!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
Cecil/WV
Senior Member
 
Cecil/WV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gerrardstown, WV
Posts: 2,167
Default Re: First trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
If you have a laser pointed thermometer check the temperatures on the heads where the hoses atttach. Check them at the same place each time holding the gun the same distance away and at the same angle. This is the important temperature as it is the combined coolant temperature of all 4 cylinders on that side of the engine. The radiator temperature don't tell much other then being hot because it is a mixture of the water from both sides of the engine. As you know but to repeat it for others there is NO connection inside of block for water between the left and right sides. They should run within a few degrees of each other. I don't where you would see any temperature raise in an empty truck from short load bursts. I don't see any noticeable changes in cars or my empty P/U. Like you said could be the engine is still a little tight. Sounds like your having FUN. G.M.
George,
I have checked the temp at all the places you always recommend and it is pretty consistant with what the mechanical gauges read.
I have wondered if I might have a timing problem. I put in new points and condensor and timed it with a straight edge per some post I copied from the old Fordbarn and it really runs very good, but I can't get any difference with the vacuum brake. I have several distributors and I thought I might send another one to Skip for a rebuild. It also has some kind of slight break down/miss under load at high speed and I can't be sure if it is in the ignition or a plug. I have new Autolite 216 plugs in it. One thing for sure, it starts good with skip's coil, hot or cold.

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 08-10-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.