Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
JonLedbetter

Default Water Issues in a 31 Model A

My dad has a 1931 model A that is being stored at my house. The issue I am currently having is with losing water. I know the system is not pressurized, so my question is should I be losing water at the overflow tube under the cap? I am fairly new to the whole antique car thing. Is the cooling system suppose to recycle the water back through the car or am I just suppose to be adding water periodically since there is no coolant reservoir? I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
JonLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
V4F

Default Re: Water Issues in a 31 Model A

maybe radiator is plugged . normally it will find its own level , just about the baffle . try diving it at speed & see if it pushes water out then . be safe
Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
JonLedbetter

So if the radiator is not plugged then it should not lose water and keep recycling it back through the system? Thanks for your input I appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Welcome to the hobby and the Barn! A loss of water through the overflow tube is generally an over fill problem. Try only filling to the plate in the radiator. BUT flush the system! Get the old iron OUT. If you look at the engine from the driver's side, you will see a bent tube in the radiator hose. Take your hand a feel under the bottom of the tube. On the level part, You will feel a valve under neath. With pliers, you can turn the the thumbscrew and drain the system. Refill with water with a small amount of vinegar and run til hot, the drain again. Don't use a lot of vinegar and don't leave it in there a long time.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
JonLedbetter

Thanks Terry I will do that in the next day or two. I'm trying to get it running right before our local cruise in on Friday this week. I was having timing issues and got that fixed. Now I have a slight gas leak around the Zenith carburetor, but I have a rebuild kit on the way for that. I'm also doing a full tune-up with plugs, wires, points, rotor button, and distributor body. Thank you guys again for the input.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
eagle

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
As mentioned already, don't refill the radiator unless the coolant level gets below the baffle. At minimum coolant needs to be above the radiator tubes. Make sure you use 50_50 mix. Use Bill's trick and drop a shingle nail into the radiator overflow tube.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

I'm going to beat Bill W on this one. Put a small roofing nail in the o/flow tube (under the cap) to cover the tube completely. You could also put a short length of wiper hose on the tube to raise it's height. There should be a baffle in the top of the radiator and o/flow tube should be to the rear.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
JonLedbetter

Thanks Paul,
I'm going to work on this in the next couple of days after work. Fairly new to all of this, but excited to get to work on it. So far I've enjoyed the time spent on the model a. I'll try and give an update once I complete everything.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

How much are you losing each time and is it the same amount each time?

Are you losing a quart, pint, gallon?
After running it for a while are you adding nearly the exact same amount?

On my car, I filled it up. Ran it for a trip and could not see water when I looked. I added water to fill. The next trip I noticed the same thing but also noticed that I was adding only a quart each time. I now know that the natural level of my car is one quart low. I top it off every couple of months and still add only a quart of so.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Jon , I don't know what your experience with A s is, but be careful; with the carb. Some of them fall apart and some of them take a little more. When you take the 1 bolt that holds the whole thing together and it stays together, It's not the gasket that's holding it, it's the venturi ! Ford zenith Carbs have a removable venturi. (In all my years of playing with engines I have never seen anything like this before) These venturies get stuck and the carb must be soaked in a solvent to get it out. You can twist or pry it apart and the venturi will break on you. (don't how I know)plus you can deform a delicate little brass tube that goes from the top half to the bottom half. Soaking and tapping is the only non destructive method. A small amount of heat may be applied to the outside but remember that the venturi is made of pot metal/diecast and melts at a very low temperature.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLedbetter View Post
Thanks Terry I will do that in the next day or two. I'm trying to get it running right before our local cruise in on Friday this week. I was having timing issues and got that fixed. Now I have a slight gas leak around the Zenith carburetor, but I have a rebuild kit on the way for that. I'm also doing a full tune-up with plugs, wires, points, rotor button, and distributor body. Thank you guys again for the input.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
burner31

If you use the vinegar treatment be sure to follow with a baking soda flush to neutralize the acid in the vinegar.
Dissolve a box in a gallon of water and add to your system, run the engine awhile then drain, then run your 50 50 mix
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
1crosscut

Jon - Mike V in post #9 is pointing you in a good direction.
Very often folks new to Model A's will fill the radiator to the top and experience water pushing out when they are driving. This is normal as the radiator will push water out until it finds a level that it likes. As long as the tubes / core is covered you will be fine.
If you keep adding water back to the top you will always have water pushing out.

Get a inexpensive meat thermometer and manually check your water temperature on a regular basis until you learn what the temperatures run in your car.

One other thing that can cause water to push out of your radiator is compression leaking into the cooling system by a bad head gasket or a head that is not torqued down properly to 55 lbs. Usually you will notice this more under heavy acceleration up a hill.