Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Ernie Vitucci

Default International Model A Day

In Central Arizona, International Model A Day was observed at Berge Ford in Mesa. Berge has been around almost as long as Fords have been around. For me it was a 70 mile round trip and uneventful as 'Miss Princess' ran just like she was designed to run. Most of the attendees were from the Model A Restorers Club of Arizona and we had close to 20 cars, I think. I did not actually count them. Since it is still warm here, many members arrived before 8am and began to leave about 9:30 or so. The new Ford customers enjoy seeing the old Fords...It sort of makes a quiet statement to Ford quality. I hope you all drive your 'A's today. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Floats

Default Re: International Model A Day

TKS Ernie,
A happy Model A day to you as well.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Synchro909

We do International Model A Day today (Sunday) and our club adds another purpose to the gathering.
When a member passes on, the family either keeps the car or sells it. If the car is still in the family, they are invited to bring it along. If no one can drive it, someone from the club will do that for them. If the car has been sold locally, the new owner is asked to bring it along. All of the (what I call) ghost cars are parked together and members of longer standing in the club without exception spend some time looking at them and remembering. Later in the day, each past member whose car is present is remembered. It's a special day.
As I type this, we are getting things ready for the day.

Last edited by Synchro909; 09-22-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
Ernie Vitucci

My hat is off to you. You have a great idea for honoring folks who have passed on and could not take their cars with them...Ernie in Arizona
Old 09-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
Synchro909

Ernie, I claim no credit for what we do. It was initiated by the club and we all take part. I just thought I'd mention it because I happen to think it is a great idea so I threw it out there. Others might consider it.

Last edited by Synchro909; 09-23-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
daveymc29

We did a bit of a "drive about." Met at Hooter's and went around some of the roads less traveled and ended up at Canyon Lakes Golf Course for our noon day meal. Then we each went our own ways and I'm now enjoying the afternoon while irrigating my lawn. Tomorrow we will meet up for a cup of coffee an bs and then drive to San Jose for the day at History Park watching the hit and miss engines and wandering through the things of days gone by. Lots of cars from big machines to the model T's and some horse drawn for the like of me that can recall going to town in a wagon and doing our shopping, then stay in a hotel and drive the wagon home the following day. Sometimes we spent two days if there was a dental appointment to keep. I never was in a doctors office, so that wasn't even a thought. Great times in a great life. http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows will give you the rest of the story. Hello to down under, hope you've had the time to read the book.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
We do International Model A Day today (Sunday) and our club adds another purpose to the gathering.
When a member passes on, the family either keeps the car or sells it. If the car is still in the family, they are invited to bring it along. If no one can drive it, someone from the club will do that for them. If the car has been sold locally, the new owner is asked to bring it along. All of the (what I call) ghost cars are parked together and members of longer standing in the club without exception spend some time looking at them and remembering. Later in the day, each past member whose car is present is remembered. It's a special day.
As I type this, we are getting things ready for the day.
Hi Synchro. I took my ute to town yesterday with a sandwich board displaying details of the vehicle and the international event. Not a lot stopped to look, they need coaxing and then did they become interested. Took it to the airport where quite of number of visitors from Tyabb had come for a special aeroplane event. I left it with them to admire and drive. They say they got some good photos of it with a Boeing Steerman behind. They will send me copies.
Today, Sunday, I took it to the "Katamatite big day" which was a well attended and good event. There were 5 or 6 A's in the show.
Today week I head off to Murray Bridge with 2x1928 and an FX. Hope to see you there. cheers, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

A couple of years ago, a BUNCH of our Guys, in 9 Model As, set out to visit members that were HOUSE BOUND. They only made it to my house! We talked for HOURS & they rummaged my STUFF & made Friends with my DOG, Buster T.
Bill Overjoyed!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #9
Bill G

We did a three-club tour to a park along the Columbia River on the Oregon side at Hat Rock Park. Lots of food and 14 A's. Some did 120 mile round-trips. Great day with temps in the '70s and no rain.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:15 AM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Today week I head off to Murray Bridge with 2x1928 and an FX. Hope to see you there. cheers, gary
Seeya there!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #11
Gary WA

IMAFD Whidbey Island A's at the PBY Museum Oak Harbor WA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imafd2018.jpg (28.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg imafd3.jpg (56.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Ernie Vitucci

Other folks who lived in Orange County, California in the early 1960's will remember several PBY's sitting on the west end of the Orange County Airport (Now John Wayne Airport) (and at one time Eddie Martin Field). The story was that a fellow purchased the PBY's full of fuel and flew them to Orange County Airport and pumped out the gas and sold it and went home...Don't know how accurate the story was/is but we heard it for years when I drove my 30 coupe past them pretty often on the way to Corona Del Mar High School...Ernie in Arizona