Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #21
barnstuf

Default Re: When is it time to sell?

In reading the original post I am struck by the fact he is not very old in my estimation, as I am older than any Model A. The time to think about selling relates to your general health. When you have more cars than you can enjoy driving, and find maintenance and repair is a chore, sell one at a time until you reach your comfort level.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #22
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
So true, especially at the time of a death and a will. I've seen family members turn on each other like starved lions when it comes to money and greed.

Sad but true. It's even sadder when the cause is "Dad/grandpa/whoever loved me best because he left me the Model A."
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #23
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
It gives me purpose, since I am still replacing parts and working on it. I figure if I have to go chasing parts on the internet, it keeps my mind busy and in shape.....and that is a good thing! When the parts come in I have to install them so manual dexterity is maintained. All in all your car keeps you healthy.

^This^ One of the reasons I regret selling mine.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:03 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sold my truck across the street, I can still SMILE at it!
Bill Walking
Old 09-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
Dick Carne

I have been blessed to have accumulated several old cars over the years, but in my younger days, under my father's counsel, was required to sell a couple rather than start a parking lot in the back yard. For the most part, I was accepting of the charge, but I also miss that first old Model A that my father and I shared. One of the lessons that I learned from all of this was that you can never replace one for what you might hope to sell it for ... and in the case of that first Model A, it has gone through several later owners and its location is now unknown. Wish I could find it, regardless of whether I could add it to my collection ... .
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Antique cars are actually works of art to be admired as such.

I too take pleasure just sitting in the garage looking at the cars and not even driving them. Just wipe them down now and then. They don't need cared for like a horse does. Doesn't hurt for them to just sit. Especially a Model A Ford.

If it brings you pleasure, just keep them. After you die let the next guy deal with it. Don't worry about making money on them. Last time I checked nobody cares about money after you are dead. You won't need it where we're going. Like you've heard a thousand times before, a Hearse has no trailer hitch. It's not pulling a U-Haul trailer full of your 'stuff' behind it on the way to the cemetery.

Case in point. In my town was a friend who had an Early Ford V-8 Dearborn award winning '41 Coupe. Beautiful car it was his great pride and honor to own it. He decided like you, 'well, my health is going bad I need to sell my Coupe' so he did. And missed the car a LOT. He went into a state of severe depression. He'd sleep 20 hours a day. Seriously. Day and nite. Week in and week out. He went downhill, lasted about two or three years they just buried him last summer. His family said he'd look at pictures of his Coupe. And cry.

So, did HE make the right decision? Any doubts I'd keep the thing just my opinion. If you are posting this on here, that tells me you don't want to sell otherwise you'd just sell the cars and move on w/o a word. You want us to make the decision for you.

I'd say you already made the decision.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

All this BLUBBERING about a bunch of assembled parts that were designed to be DISPOSABLE, in a FEW YEARS!!!----SPARE ME!
Bill Laughing
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

Bill I hope you stay active here, I appreciate your words of wisdom
Old 09-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #29
30 Closed Cab PU

When my Grandparents passed, and when my Parents passed, the Wills said to divide the estate equally. They had the attitude if there were issues, let them duke it out.
They would be around to have to contend with the squabbles. Same with if you want to leave the A to a particular person who you know is really interested in it and takes care of.

My sister and I must be unusual, our attitude was if the other really wanted something, let the other person have it. After all, 100 years from now what difference does it make?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #30
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
When my Grandparents passed, and when my Parents passed, the Wills said to divide the estate equally. They had the attitude if there were issues, let them duke it out.
They would not be around to have to contend with the squabbles. Same with if you want to leave the A to a particular person who you know is really interested in it and takes care of.

My sister and I must be unusual, our attitude was if the other really wanted something, let the other person have it. After all, 100 years from now what difference does it make?

correction
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #31
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Bill I hope you stay active here, I appreciate your words of wisdom
Jeff, I always wonder WHY I've lived to 83, "maybe" it's my MISSION, to make Folks LAFF at their TROUBLES???
Bill Laffin'
Old 09-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #32
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Antique cars are actually works of art to be admired as such.

I too take pleasure just sitting in the garage looking at the cars and not even driving them. Just wipe them down now and then. They don't need cared for like a horse does. Doesn't hurt for them to just sit. Especially a Model A Ford.

If it brings you pleasure, just keep them. After you die let the next guy deal with it. Don't worry about making money on them. Last time I checked nobody cares about money after you are dead. You won't need it where we're going. Like you've heard a thousand times before, a Hearse has no trailer hitch. It's not pulling a U-Haul trailer full of your 'stuff' behind it on the way to the cemetery.

Case in point. In my town was a friend who had an Early Ford V-8 Dearborn award winning '41 Coupe. Beautiful car it was his great pride and honor to own it. He decided like you, 'well, my health is going bad I need to sell my Coupe' so he did. And missed the car a LOT. He went into a state of severe depression. He'd sleep 20 hours a day. Seriously. Day and nite. Week in and week out. He went downhill, lasted about two or three years they just buried him last summer. His family said he'd look at pictures of his Coupe. And cry.

So, did HE make the right decision? Any doubts I'd keep the thing just my opinion. If you are posting this on here, that tells me you don't want to sell otherwise you'd just sell the cars and move on w/o a word. You want us to make the decision for you.

I'd say you already made the decision.
If you're in a Model A procession, going to a burial, wouldn't it add some FUN, to load a Pickup, with his SPARE PARTS--LOL
Bill Weirdo
Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #33
Jim Brierley

I'm 81, had a serious stroke 5 years ago, so am very restricted as what I can do, and I have 3 Model A's. Am I able to still work on them? Not like I used to but still enjoy tinkering and driving them. Mine are all in my will, designating where they are to go, if that doesn't happen, I will be gone and won't care. Besides, what else are you going to do?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #34
daveymc29

Well I did decide some time ago that I wanted to thin the herd and was happy with two Model A's in the garage. Mess with them and not have to move too much around to do it with all my tools and the bride car there also. Then an A I hadn't seen in years suddenly reappeared and there I was with three. That made it a bit cramped so the place became an eye sore and hard to work in. I decided to sell or trade and dang if I didn't end up trading and got another one, so now I have put it on the market. If it goes fine, and if not that is okay also. But I would like to clean the joint up a bit so I could have company without being embarrassed. Also a few folks still bring their machines by for a little tinkering. Takes me a while to make room for them if it is going to spend any real time here.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #35
Jeff/Illinois

Dave another garage would solve your problem

Space IS a factor there's never enough of it. We should be collecting stamps I guess we're in the wrong hobby.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #36
2manycars

As we get older, there comes a time when the cars seem to own us, not we own them. I have too many cars, but enjoy most of them, and will keep some for sentimental reasons. I have my very first car, a 40 ford, my 29 tudor that I bought in 1975, the early 28 roadster pickup I restored for my girlfriend, and one MG. I just sold my MGBGT, as I was not using it enough. My daughter came home from hospital in the 40 when she was born, and it is my first car, so that stays. My sons came home from hospital iwhen they were born in the 29, and it also took my son's ashes to rest, so that stays. My girlfriend is now disabled and cannot drive, but the pickup stays as long as she is alive. The MG roadster is a fun car to drive, so that is staying for now. I also have 3 modern cars, and 3 motorcycles, although 2 of them are for sale. We cannot take this stuff with us when we die, but if it is not a burden, and we enjoy them, there is no harm in keeping them, and let the kids deal with them when we are dead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40nbill.jpg (18.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 29tudor11.jpg (41.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 28r-pu21.jpg (20.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 79mgb.jpg (60.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #37
drezin

I am in the same boat. I am 85 and it takes me a week to do a days work on them. I have four cars that I restored and I know I should downsize, but darn, selling one is like selling your hunting dog
drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #38
2manycars

Quote:

Space IS a factor there's never enough of it. We should be collecting stamps I guess we're in the wrong hobby.
My father used to say "A man has as much stuff as he has room for, plus 10%".
Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:

Haven't you heard of the STAMP TAX? LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Haven't you heard of the STAMP TAX? LOL
WELL, we could collect them LOOOONG Stick Pins & when someone tried to MUG us, we'd be ARMED! At home I'm armed with a .22 Rifle & Greggs' Machette & of course, the VICIOUS DOG!
Bill Safeathome