Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #41
DavidG

Default Re: How rare is an "August" spare tire cover for 1936 ?

It's hearsay unless you yourself bought it new and assuming that you would have been at least16 years old at the time of the purchase, that would make you about 98. Possible, yes, probable, no.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #42
35fordtn

I personally could NEVER question anything Don Rogers has researched. The BFRC as mentioned is a great resource of information.

As David mentions nothing is fact on these cars unless you are the person who purchased one new. A EXACT example of this, is a local gentleman here in TN still has the 1936 Ford Deluxe 4 door sedan his father purchased new in October 1936. He has EVERY SINGLE receipt and documentation to the car including fuel receipts. He really liked to looks of the Standard spare tire cover described in this thread, and in 1937 took his car to the Ford Dealer in Chattanooga TN to have one installed, as well as a luggage rack and a Clock mirror.... He still has the receipt for it.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #43
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It's hearsay unless you yourself bought it new and assuming that you would have been at least16 years old at the time of the purchase, that would make you about 98. Possible, yes, probable, no.

I don't quite understand what "David" was trying to prove with his above comments.. My age at the time when I purchased the '36 has nothing to do with the fact that I purchased the car in 1952 from the original owner who was a teacher at a school I attended in Idaho Falls ID. In reality I was 18 in 1952. As I have previously stated in my comments else-where in this thread, I first encountered the '36 when I was in the seventh grade, 1948. The car sat by the school everyday of the school year.
I think, and have stated so that Mr Blondell, the original owner might have noticed the August cover on a car sitting in the show room, liked what he saw and told the salesman that he wanted that cover on his new car. I am quite sure the agency would honor the request in 1936, because Mr Blondell had just purchased a '36 Deluxe coupe with just about every accessory in the book, including a Columbia OD.
About twenty-five years ago I was in Idaho Falls for a class reunion. I looked up the man I had purchased the car from and asked him to write up his memories that he had pertaining to the '36. He did not fell comfortable doing that so I went and purchased a cassette recorder for him to record the information on. Mr Blondell's final comment on the tape was that he sold the car because he had purchased a new '52 Ford.. Still have the cassette in the car..
It would appear that some people have misunderstood what the purpose of this thread is: I am not challenging the documentation that Mr Rogers or anyone else has done, my intent was/ is to establish that the tire cover in question should not be referred to as being a "Standard Cover" because prior to it's introduction in August of 1936 it was unheard of on a Standard car.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #44
cajunfirehawk

Great topic but I have some questions; on my 36 slant-back the car is setup for the spare tire and I have the bracket that goes with that too, so if I obtain one of these covers, which includes the ring and the top and bottom, what other parts do I need besides of course a wheel and tire to mount this on my car? pic for reference

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #45
Don Rogers

Not much else. Just the tire cover, tire ring, lock, and bracket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36cap.jpg (39.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 36RLKCAP.jpg (55.8 KB, 24 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #46
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Not much else. Just the tire cover, tire ring, lock, and bracket

I think Mr. Rogers response to cajunfire's question is in error.
As I understand cajunfire's question, he asked what would he need to put an August cover on his '36. Mr Roger responded with a pix of a "Common cover".
The August cover requires the extended body mount as shown in the attached pix, the tire cover with correct lock assembly and the tread ring.
Of course the wheel would have to be correct 36-39 wheel, 5 on 10" with a 550 x 16 or 600 x 16 tire.
If the lock assembly is not a big deal to the user, then the correct mount assembly is not needed.
Hmmm? for some reason my pix of the tire mount won't load onto the thread.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #47
cajunfirehawk

Question Re: How rare is an "August" spare tire cover for 1936 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I think Mr. Rogers response to cajunfire's question is in error.
As I understand cajunfire's question, he asked what would he need to put an August cover on his '36. Mr Roger responded with a pix of a "Common cover".
The August cover requires the extended body mount as shown in the attached pix, the tire cover with correct lock assembly and the tread ring.
Of course the wheel would have to be correct 36-39 wheel, 5 on 10" with a 550 x 16 or 600 x 16 tire.
If the lock assembly is not a big deal to the user, then the correct mount assembly is not needed.
Hmmm? for some reason my pix of the tire mount won't load onto the thread.
Thanks for all the info, another question is since I don't run OE size wheels can I fill one of these with an old take off OE size tire with no wheel (I have oe wheels and tires mounted but looking to save weight) just to fill the cover or any inner tube filled with air?

Old 10-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #48
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfirehawk View Post
Thanks for all the info, another question is since I don't run OE size wheels can I fill one of these with an old take off OE size tire with no wheel (I have oe wheels and tires mounted but looking to save weight) just to fill the cover or any inner tube filled with air?

If you have wheels that have the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern you could use a '35 Ford spare tire mount, the '35 wire wheels were 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. The '35 tire mount will bolt right onto the '36.

I had '40-48 wheels on my '36 for many years prior to 1961.
Either one of the '36 tire covers, the Common cover or the August cover will mount onto any tire that is equal in size to a 600 x 16. The tire will have to be mounted and inflated to the wheel which is then in-turn attached to the tire mount.

As I believe I stated earlier, if you don't intend to use the stock Ford tire lock the '36 mount with provisions for the lock don't have to be used.
The '35 tire mount did not have provisions built into them to receive a lock, the lock was internal to the spare tire cap.

For your info, the 36-39 wheels are five pounds lighter that the '35 wires, in all probability they are lighter than the '40-48 style because of no heavy hub center.
If you would like to PM me with your email address I will respond with mine and include pix of the tire mounts. For some reason I am having problems down loading pix to the FB forum.

Last edited by blucar; 10-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #49
cajunfirehawk

Again, thanks for all the great info, My car came w/ WIDE 5's and I have them but put aftermarket salt flat style wheels on so I will be using one of the original wheels on my spare. Fwiw, I picked up the heavier spare cover pictured herein with the chrome cap. Will post pics when that is finally installed.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:41 AM   #50
cajunfirehawk

Getting closer, although the cover I picked up was pristine, the "cover" does not go with the mount I have if that make sense? So I am still looking for the correct cover, but ring and carrier are mounted however.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #51
blucar

There are actually several different spare tire mounts for the '35-36 Fords, which mount is required depends on the body style. The amount of off-set for the respective mount depends on the body configuration. Truck, no trunk, coupe or convertible... I have several pix of the various mounts, however, I can't attach pix to the thread..
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #52
cajunfirehawk

Thumbs up Re: How rare is an "August" spare tire cover for 1936 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
There are actually several different spare tire mounts for the '35-36 Fords, which mount is required depends on the body style. The amount of off-set for the respective mount depends on the body configuration. Truck, no trunk, coupe or convertible... I have several pix of the various mounts, however, I can't attach pix to the thread..
Bill if you want to send me those pics, I will post them for you, I would love to see what mount I have...thanks

Thanks for all of the help Gentlemen, cover installed.
Kinda hard to get a good shot while my car is backed up close to the wall on jack stands but you get the idea.

Last edited by cajunfirehawk; 10-21-2018 at 07:22 PM.