Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
329s

Default Original A-3123 Spindle Bolt Bearing Assembly...

I have at least two different styles of the A-3123 Spindle Bolt Bearing Assembly and would like to know just which one was THE original product for the Model A.

The first one has no part number and has on the inside, ball bearings which are visable;

The second one has no part number or wording that is visable (but appears to be there) and has what appears to be ball bearings (maybe not) but has a seperate ring holding the bearing parts in;

The third type has B-3123 and or B-3123-A1 on the bearing top and some on the side with FORD script (Model B type?).

So with that, does anyone know which is the genuine model A bearing?

Thanks.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: Original A-3123 Spindle Bolt Bearing Assembly...

Steve,

I believe the original was a roller bearing, then they switched too the ball.
You can still buy the rollers.....also the early ones had a larger diameter.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 329s View Post
I have at least two different styles of the A-3123 Spindle Bolt Bearing Assembly and would like to know just which one was THE original product for the Model A.

The first one has no part number and has on the inside, ball bearings which are visable;

The second one has no part number or wording that is visable (but appears to be there) and has what appears to be ball bearings (maybe not) but has a seperate ring holding the bearing parts in;

The third type has B-3123 and or B-3123-A1 on the bearing top and some on the side with FORD script (Model B type?).

So with that, does anyone know which is the genuine model A bearing?

Thanks.

Pluck
UPDATE...

Thanks D.J...BUT...

Found several ball bearing types (1 above) that has B-3123-A2 on them;

Found on the second type as above, the part number A-3123...this is the type that has the seperate ring on the inside holding the ball bearings or roller bearings, together.

All other types seem to carry the "B" prefix.

Pluck

Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian

There were 2 types(it is possible that I'm not getting this),...A-3123 which turned
into the...A-3123-AR(1.630" OD), and the...A-3123-b(1.665" OD)...
Old 08-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Jim Mason

check the service bulletins...there is a cutaway shown a change in dimensions that may help. sorry I'm away from my library so can't quote chapter and verse.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
d.j. moordigian

Thanks Jim,

Makes sense now, when they changed the size in the 7 tooth box..and they
were both Rollers..
Old 08-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

Well, you guys are fast! I was going to say first that it's important to note that the bearing was also used as the worm thrust bearing in 7-tooth steering. As Jim said, it's in the bulletins P-282. The change was mid '28 (processed through engineering in July).

B-3123-A was a direct carryover from the A-3123-B. Since there are B-3123-A1 and B-3123-A2 simply indicates two different suppliers. One was unquestionably Timken but I have no clue who the other was. It COULD be Ford but more likely another standard bearing manufacturer.

If Ford made any of these bearings then B-3123-A1 is Ford. If not then it's almost certainly Timken.

When there are two suppliers of the same part they need not be identical but must be fully interchangeable.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Well, you guys are fast! I was going to say first that it's important to note that the bearing was also used as the worm thrust bearing in 7-tooth steering. As Jim said, it's in the bulletins P-282. The change was mid '28 (processed through engineering in July).

B-3123-A was a direct carryover from the A-3123-B. Since there are B-3123-A1 and B-3123-A2 simply indicates two different suppliers. One was unquestionably Timken but I have no clue who the other was. It COULD be Ford but more likely another standard bearing manufacturer.

If Ford made any of these bearings then B-3123-A1 is Ford. If not then it's almost certainly Timken.

When there are two suppliers of the same part they need not be identical but must be fully interchangeable.
B-3123-A2 (Ford Script) Nice (Ball Bearing Co, Phila PA,) Made in USA, (N25570), Top

So then would the "B" still be Model A era or 1932 on?

Thanks Marco.

Pluck

Last edited by 329s; 08-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 329s View Post
B-3123-A2 (Ford Script) Nice (Ball Bearing Co, Phila PA,) Made in USA, (N25570), Top

So then would the "B" still be Model A era or 1932 on?

Thanks Marco.

Pluck
I'm betting it's Timken and a direct carryover from the Model A. However there are four different versions of the drawing on file (last being mid-'30) so there must have been some changes which could be something like minor tolerances, etc. It's not of any particular interest to me as ANY version will be far better than what is available today.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

Just as a note Pluck (likely you already know this) this bearing was used until 1948. Likely there are more variations and many manufactures of it. I was suprised to learn many aftermarket parts suppliers used the Ford part number or a slight variation well into the 50's. This was noted with the Balkamp sector gear that used the Ford number with a BK suffix. I find it more now that I am sorting all of these NOS parts. Helpful, but somewhat misleading to some when I sell them. Rod
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Just as a note Pluck (likely you already know this) this bearing was used until 1948. Likely there are more variations and many manufactures of it. I was suprised to learn many aftermarket parts suppliers used the Ford part number or a slight variation well into the 50's. This was noted with the Balkamp sector gear that used the Ford number with a BK suffix. I find it more now that I am sorting all of these NOS parts. Helpful, but somewhat misleading to some when I sell them. Rod
Thanks Rod...

Yes, in cleaning up a few more of these bearings, I noted some without anything on them and one had a (I think) a K-10 stamping on it.

Pluck
Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

In my post earlier this year titled "Fun Finds" I am still questioning if those bearings in the foil paper wrapping are Genuine Ford or era aftermarket. I am leaning more to them being Ford based on some other parts from the 40's in the same style of packaging. I do not see any parts other than Ford parts packaged that way. Rod