Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #21
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Evan's Coolant

30 closed cab, I've not done a thorough study either, but have read a little on the subject. Model A Times did an article on it a few years back, and found no reason to not use it. I recommend either it (or similar) or 50/50 anti-freeze in my heads because of it's compatibility with aluminum.

I think all regular anti-freeze's are compatible with aluminum. Some new cars have aluminum radiators, probably as much as weight saving as anything, but aluminum does transfer heat better than other materials.

It appears that, like many postings, not much has been solved! Model A er's are a hard-headed bunch, including me! -
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #22
GPierce

This thread is turning out like the the numerous “which oil do you use?”
All the coolant alternatives posted here obviously work. Go with what you are comfortable with and have worked fine for you in the past.
Jim’s last sentence above sums it up.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #23
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del in NE Ohio View Post
For the record, Mr Moose, In my posting I made no reccomdations regarding this product. The original post I believed was asking for first hand experience which I had. Was it a scientific evaluation? No. Unlike most who responded to the post I had first hand experience with the product. Was my experience conclusive? No. Did I represent it as such? No. Just my experience. Lighten up a little.
Sorry if the tone was mis-interpreted. I'm trying to draw a sharp line on what this coolant does and doesn't do. Comments like "insurance policy" as we ran across Southern California desert" and "South Texas who drive their "A's" in 100+ degree heat with no worries with Evans Coolant" implies there is a benefit to running this coolant in a Model A. With less heat capacity in glycol, and no exotic metals in the engine, and no peak sources of extreme heat like in a race car, I'm very hard pressed to find any benefit to this special use coolant in our cars. And then it's $50 a gallon. So yes, I'm being strong in my technical opinion. Isn't that what we're here for?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #24
Jim Brierley

I use 20/50 engine oil. -
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #25
Benson

[...

Last edited by Benson; 11-18-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote