Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #21
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Used camshafts

Used cams and lifters is a crap shoot, However considering the light spring pressure on a stock cam, you'll probably be oK. Unfortunately, i the past I've had a cam failure because of this on a race engine. Tha was an expensive education.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #22
tubman

I would like to thank "flatheadmurre" for his to the point response. I am kind of disappointed that "Pete" did not offer his advice on what to do in such a situation. The quatrain he posted is cute, but not very helpful.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I would like to thank "flatheadmurre" for his to the point response. I am kind of disappointed that "Pete" did not offer his advice on what to do in such a situation. The quatrain he posted is cute, but not very helpful.
Along the same lines, I often hear him offer as to how knowledgeable he is, along with his ability to point-out the shortcomings of others. MOST folks here are pretty open with help, advice and experience. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #24
40cpe

Pete said that his observations over 65 years in the business were that 30 percent of mixing used and new cams/lifters failed (paraphrased). It has to do with wear-in. So, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I take it from what he said his advice is not to mix them. Maybe you are questioning used cam AND used lifters. I think it is common knowledge not to re use lifters without resurfacing them. Reinstalling used lifters on the same lobe of the same used cam in a different engine could be risky because of how the cam sits in the engine (end play). I've PM'd Pete for advice and gotten timely responses from him. I think we are fortunate for having him contribute.
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #25
tubman

I didn't start this thread to find out what I shouldn't do. I was looking for some positive useful advice.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #26
Talkwrench

Olive oil is expensive......
Old 03-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #27
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I didn't start this thread to find out what I shouldn't do. I was looking for some positive useful advice.
Well, excuse me! You took offense at something not meant to be offensive. I'll stay out of your threads from now on.
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #28
Kahuna

Like others, I take Pete's advice as gospel on the cam subject.
He has ground cams for me and they have been excellent. I have never
used a used cam in any engine, only because I wanted something more than
stock re performance.
If I wanted to use a used cam, I think I would just send it to Pete, have him check
it out and do what he recommended. It is so expensive to build a good flathead
that to me, it's not worth taking a chance.
I have had an engine totally destroyed due to a set of bad lifters.
Just my opinion
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Like others, I take Pete's advice as gospel on the cam subject.
He has ground cams for me and they have been excellent. I have never
used a used cam in any engine, only because I wanted something more than
stock re performance.
If I wanted to use a used cam, I think I would just send it to Pete, have him check
it out and do what he recommended. It is so expensive to build a good flathead
that to me, it's not worth taking a chance.
I have had an engine totally destroyed due to a set of bad lifters.
Just my opinion
Jim
Jim,

What size motor are you running that Eliminator in? Still happy with it?

I'm so tempted. I still have about 2 months to change cam choice on this build.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:02 AM   #30
George/Maine

I have used a cam from a 351 into another engine and made a template of the lobes and all looked good got 40k mile and blow a piston.
When your cheap that's what you do.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #31
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Well, excuse me! You took offense at something not meant to be offensive. I'll stay out of your threads from now on.
My remark was not intended to "offend" anyone. I am just looking for "positive useful advice". Too many times, people respond to a thread without reading it completely. Please reread my original post; it is asking a specific question. As to some things being "common knowledge", I think the responses to this thread show that to be far from the truth, on this subject at least.

If you are "offended" by my remark, I apologize. I do however, recommend you develop a little thicker skin; you seem to be much too easily "offended".
Old 03-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #32
Mart

Ok, I guess the thread has been derailed, but I suppose it boils down to this. As a private individual, you can just give it a go. Used cam, mismatched lifters. You weigh up the risk. As said it's a crap shoot. Like Ron said, stock cam, light spring pressures you may be all right. But a professional engine builder could never recommend that. He has to recommend something that will work 100% as it goes to the customer.

I've just fired up an engine with a good used 59A cam and the pick of my used French lifters. With the (notoriously) soft French valve springs I'm crossing my fingers and trusting that with just a little bit of luck it will be ok.

A professional or anyone building the motor for someone else can't afford to do that. Too risky. His name as a builder is at stake.

So wish me luck.

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 03-06-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #33
Walt Dupont--Me.

Hi Guys. I haven,t punched keys in quite a while. I just want to say i been building Flatheads for 70 years and used alot of Cams. Pete has built cams for me for a long time and I love all of them. The Potvin 425 Eliminata in my dragster is awsome. I want to thank Pete for the cams he has ground for me. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #34
dude

on that olive oil deal , Make sure it has a little zink in it ..
Old 03-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #35
tubman

I think "Mart" hit the nail on the head. What we can do as "Hobbyists" gives us much wider choices than a pro builder can even consider. Also, some (maybe a lot) of us are on a limited budget and wouldn't be able to build an engine if we had to run out and buy new components and first class machining whenever we had to do something. Luckily for us, flatheads are forgiving enough that we can get by with this most of the time.

I think I now understand why "Pete" never gave a direct response; as a pro builder, I think he has to say "Don't do it!". He probably also remembers the old, low budget days when you either used marginal components or stayed home. Thus my question is essentially unanswerable for him. "Pete" has a great reputation and I am sure he would be the first guy I would go to if I needed a special cam and had the funds for it. Sadly, that's not the way it is in my world; I go with what I have and quite frankly, I have had quite a bit of success (or luck).

Which brings me to another point. I believe this is a forum for hobbyists and not pro engine builders. Thus, I believe my original question was appropriate and I appreciate the responses I got from guys like "Russ/40" and "Seth Swoboda". In the end, what may be a bad decision for a pro builder might turn out to be the completion of an engine build for me.

Last edited by tubman; 03-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #36
rotorwrench

On the helicopter engines I cut my teeth on, we replace the cams and follower assemblies 100% at O/H due to the high strung nature of that particular engine. The lighter duty engines for regular airplanes can have the cam and followers ground but it's usually a one time deal. The Lycoming engines didn't oil as well as the Continentals so they have a tendency to spall out anyway. Definitely don't take any chances on this stuff. They even put tricrestyl phosphate (TCP) in certain types of aircraft engine oil due to that. You can get away with a lot more on the flathead V8s as long as your easy on them.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-06-2018 at 02:04 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #37
leon bee

I spent a long year riding around in helicopters. My Ford feels safer.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote