Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default Familiar with 33/34 pickup box structure?

We bought a very nice 1933 cab, hood, fenders and decent grill from a friend. It came with an assortment of repro (60 inch) box sides and a variety of aftermarket reproduction parts for the bed base. With no access to a pickup frame, we are going to be mounting the collection of goodies on a 1933 car frame. With no experience in restoring this vintage of truck, I'm unclear as to what we are actually missing for the bed base. I'm also not totally clear if any or all of the holes that are on the passenger car frame are the ones we will need once we determine and order the remaining missing parts for the box. I tried getting assistance from Mac's but couldn't get their help. (I can only assume the relacement parts from our purchase are Mac's products). From these pictures, can anyone with 33 restoration experience tell me what I still need to buy in order to complete and build this box? Anyone have a picture or diagram to help with the box assembly, rivet hole positions or other head-scratchers which lie ahead? Sincere thanks in advance for your thoughts, comments and photos. Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.jpg (55.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.jpg (59.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (69.7 KB, 31 views)
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
2ndgeer

Default Re: Familiar with 33/34 pickup box structure?

It looks as if you are missing the two side pieces that the cross members attach to. Here are a couple of pictures that show the frame. You can see the side pieces as well as the cross members. Hope this helps. (Incidentally, I love that line in "Four Strong Winds" ..."I think I'll go out to Alberta, the weather's good there in the fall..")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas tanks.jpg (56.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 34 pickup bed frame.jpg (37.7 KB, 46 views)
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Ron Pilger

Thanks, your pictures will be helpful. In reference to fall weather in Alberta - yes, it can be beautiful here. Winter weather, though, that can be a far different song! I welcome other thoughts pertaining to hole positions in the car frame for mounting this box. And, knowledge on drilling holes,placement for the rivets. I also appear to need another pair of box stake pockets. I have two of the attached. Are these fronts or rears? Is Mac's my only potential supplier for the wood mounting blocks and other parts still required? Thanks,again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.jpg (86.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
sidevalve8ba

You might try this website. I have dealt with these folks in the past. They make a quality product.

http://mack-products.com/
Old 03-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
DavidG

Looks like you're missing the steel floor of the bed as well and the rear stake pockets that are riveted to the sides of the bed.

Mac's does not make any of these parts. If you're lucky, they came from Mack Products in Missouri (mack-products.com) who manufactures complete beds and all of the component parts, including the wood structure beneath the bed. From what I've seen, their beds are well made and very good reproductions of the originals.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
1932tub

Great song, I like Neil Youngs version.
1932tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
Straightpipes

Ron, my 34 is on a car frame. Many of the holes are in a different location but nothing that you cant deal with. The car uses mounting holes along the side frame rails which will show between the running board and the cab. The first indication of a car frame are the two sets of 3 in a triangle which are for the car running boards. The pickup frame does not have them.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
Ron Pilger

As always, the voices of experience and wisdom are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
2ndgeer

I concur with the excellence of Mack Hils pickup sheet metal. In fact, I bought a brand new bed from him with the stock steel floor shown below. It did cost more than 5 times what I paid for the truck in the 1960's! If you like a non-stock wooden floor they can supply one. I elected to add a removeable Bruce Horkey "show deck" in hard rock maple (shown below). The wooden blocks that support the cab are arranged as shown in the attached picture. I made pads to isolate the pickup box from the frame by folding anti-squeak in two (glued with 3M cement) and they work well. ( Back to Ian Tyson's song...His last line is "And the wind can sure blow cold away out there.")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mack Hils new bed .jpg (37.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Asa painted steel bed floor.jpg (66.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg BH show deck 1.jpg (52.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 34 Ford cab woodenblocks.jpg (70.0 KB, 43 views)
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
Newc

Hi all; Also They will need a 33/34 PU rear cross member, the tubular one with the bed mount ears. I don't believe these are repoped, but can be 'fabed' from a example. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #11
jimTN

I like the idea above about the fake wood floor, the truck is restored correctly with a metal floor. I can tell you also the car frame will have to be finished on the sides to fender quality finish because the frame is exposed above the running boards so rust pits etc will have to be filled and smoothed. I was lucky that I had an original subfloor good enough for a pattern to cut replacement wood for my PU and I coated it with a good sealer on both sides before installing the metal floor. You have lots of rivets to do!
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #12
Ron Pilger

Thanks to all. I will be contacting Mack's in the morning. This is the 33 in the process of being assembled just to see what wéve got and in order to identify those dozens of items that we still have to hunt down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (68.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.jpg (67.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #13
totto

Mack Hills out of Moberly, MO is where I got my pickup bed parts and they were very good and HIGH quality.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote