Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default Love to have a copy of Doc Kalinka's Early Bird Survey

As I was organizing my Model A magazines, I came across an article in the Restorer Vol. 12 Issue 3 (Sept-Oct 1967). It was written by Doc Kalinka and talked about the survey that he had sent out to collect information on the "Early Birds" as he called them.

Now we refer to the early ones as ve28's (actually built in 1927) and e28's (built in the first half of 1928). But Doc and several others were pioneers in finding odd features and sharing that information. This information was collected on surveys that Doc had created. He then collected and organized the data.

Does anyone still have one of these surveys? I would love to have one or at least a copy of one.

Thanks,
Dean

P.S. On the way to my first Hershey in 2003, I reread many of Doc's articles about the early ones. So when I met him for the first time we were able to talk about the early features. At that time he was selling A495 for his friend, Charlie Bass. I eventually bought it and Doc among others was very instrumental with technical advice.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
al's28/33

Default Re: Love to have a copy of Doc Kalinka's Early Bird Survey

I have copies of several MAFCA articles from Doc on the early birds but none mention any specific survey that was published. I'll re-read them and see if there are any links to a publication.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
dean from bozeman

Al, thanks for your reply.

I remember talking to Doc and he referenced the survey. At the time I didn't think to ask him if he still had a copy of it.

The article in the Sept.-Oct. 1967 issue of the Restorer he talks about compiling information from 'the 1928 Owner Questionnaire which has been sent out to interested owners over the past two years'. So it seems that it was not available in a Restorer but probably was mailed out. It is a copy of that questionnaire that I'd like to get a copy of.

I know that the Goodings from Idaho and Joe Crum from California were some of the first folks to notice these differences. The trouble is that most of the people who answered the questionnaire are not around any more. I will contact Mike Gooding, Fred's son, and Don Bivens to see if they might still have a copy of it.

Fordbarn is a great way to find information. That is why I'm putting this request out there. Hopefully someone will say, "I found that in my dad's stuff" or "Our club has a copy". As it is an integral part of ve28/e28 history, it would be great to have a copy of it.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
redmodelt

Dean, you might (if you have not done so yet) ask also on the two club web sites.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
al's28/33

Dean,

Yes that's one of the old RESTORERS that I have. I would read the line about the survey as Doc's method for compiling information for THAT specific article. I think it's the most comprehensive article in any of the "A" readings other than the DeAngelis book and Henry's Lady that provides pictures and descriptions of the "early birds". If you come across the survey please post it here, I am sure there are folks interested, as I am. Thanks for all your work on the Early "A"s and posting info and pics here.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
Hoop

If someone has Restorer, Jan-Feb 1966, p32, could be copy of questionaire ... I do not have it.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
dean from bozeman

Howdy Hoop,

This is what is in the Restorer, Jan-Feb 1966, on p32:

'1928 Owner Questionnaire
There are more things different and less known about the 1928 Ford than any of the other three years of Model A.So a group of '28 owners in Wisconsin has decided to do something about it, but they need your help.If you own a 1928 Model A Ford, they have an extensive 3 1/2 page questionnaire to send you; answer what you can and return it.Results of their findings will be published. Please help in this worthwhile project. Send your name and address to H.S. Kalinka, Route 1, Chilton, Wisconsin 53014.'

Well, at least we know that it was a separate form, 3 1/2 pages, and not in a magazine. Also, it was not just Doc Kalinka but a group of '28 owners. Now there are two people who I know that had '28s and were good friends of Doc, Bill Sturm and Paul Pestka. I will contact them. This could be the break I was looking for.

Thanks, Hoop.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
briphaeton

Hi Hoop
They don't have a email address for the questionaire?
briphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
redmodelt

In 1966?
Old 11-19-2022, 10:56 PM   #10
al's28/33

Dean,

If you are still around, did anyone find a copy of that early 28 questionnaire ? I found some old copies of The Restorer from the 1960s and there was mention of all the investigations about them and how to begin documenting the "Early Birds".

I have also learned that Doc was a member of "Model A News" (not just MAFCA) and he wrote several articles on the early evolution of the Model "A" in that magazine as well.

Now of course all this is water under the bridge, since we know more today in 2022 about the early 1927-1928 cars, but it's really interesting to see how all the studies and documentation came about 55 years ago.