Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Terry,NJ

Default Two things I don't get! (Carbs and Ign)

Well, I put the "new" engine into the coupe and it runs worse than the old one! How so? you might ask. The mod B carb. and (I suspect) the ignition.
While the engine feels strong when it surges it will often break up after a few seconds. It feels like it's running out of gas and frequently barks a backfire like it's running lean, yet I can't seem to affect it much by trying to enrich the mixture with the GAV rod. The carb has been taken apart and throughly cleaned a number of times with no difference or any problems being discovered. Same with the fuel lines, filter bowl, and gas tank. It is one of the later mod. B carbs.
The engine starts very well and idles a little fast. The problems are when I accelerate it. In the driveway with no load it accelerates good, but on the road, with a load, it breaks up. It also has a random miss in it. The engine has new rings, timing gears, valves and valve springs, spark plugs. Is it my distributor, condenser, points? The points and condenser are the modern type.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote