Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
peewee2you

Default water pump replacement

47 Ford 59AB, is it possible to replace a pump without removing the radiator and all it's hoses? I have the passenger side pump leaking from behind the pulley, and is there any secrets on how to remove the bottom hose more easily than it looks.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: water pump replacement

There is no need to remove the radiator, to be able to remove a water pump, you will have to drain the radiator and remove the lower radiator hose. I have found that some solvent (rust buster) will aid in the removal of old/hard rubber hoses. If you can't get the hose off of the pump by pulling from the bottom (if your car has a splash pan installed you'll have to remove it) unless you can get the hose off from the top. Once the hose is off, don't forget to remove the bolt that is inside the pump. You'll have to use a bottle jack or floor jack with a piece of wood (2x4) placed under the front of the oil pan, to lift the engine (after you've unbolted the corresponding motor mount) to take pressure off of the pump. Make sure to clean the mounting surface on the block before you install a new/rebuilt pump and gasket. I use stainless steel bolts with some never-seize on the threads for the internal bolts. I also apply a thin coating of Indian Head Red Shellac to the pump and to the inside of the radiator hose foe the pump and radiator side, this makes future removal of the hose much easier.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
ford3

if your not going to reuse the hose again, that a knife of hack saw and cut the hose close to the radiator and water pump outlets, if you can get a big pair of chanel lock plyers and grip what is remaing of the hose and twist it till it freezes up, be careful with the radiator outlet, if you cant do that, take a knife with a sharp stiff blade and cut the hose length ways and use a thin bladed screww driver to slip between the house and outlets, becareful when working on radiator outlet, follow Vic advice and you shouldnt have any trouble, remove the fan if needed, if your gong to reuse the hose still try the channel locks and screw driver trick
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
VeryTangled

PeeWee, always go very slowly and careful when jacking the engine, watch the fan for hitting the radiator.

Vic, Is that Indian Head what [edit: that] I saw inside the tranny case in your Lunch thread (post #71)?

-VT/Jeff

Last edited by VeryTangled; 02-04-2013 at 07:01 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The hose is GREAT fun. Get a hook tool made for hooking into hoses. The hose needs to be worked loose at both ends with practically no clearance, then pretty well forced out by sort of collapsing it into a V shape.
Back in is at least as much fun...fold it in the middle and push it up between the two nipples so the openings sort of try to engage. Keep at it pushing from below and working with the hook tool above until it starts over the metal...persistence and probably some blood loss will eventually gettitdone.
You will learn some new bad words during the process even if you are working alone.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Jeff, that was rustoleum paint on the inside of the Zephyr's transmission case, not Indian Head shellac. The Indian Head shellac is available at most auto parts stores. Here's a photo of two (well used) bottles of the magic elixir...

When I was 16 (and got my first Flathead), an old man (he was probably 30 at the time) told me about Indian Head shellac and I've been using it all these years... In my opinion its right up there with MMO for its mystical powers...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
VeryTangled

Greetings Vic, So you painted/primed the whole tranny case in the red and just the outside in the flat black? Just figuring that out now.

The magic of the gasket shellac is to... Ease assembly? Ease removal? Make hair grow?

-VT/Jeff
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Henry/Kokomo

Bruce Lancaster's post X2. A hooked tool is indespensable for lower radiator hose work.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

When I first did this on the family '48 a loooong time ago, I had no hooked hose tool and coudn't have afforded one anyhow...I had to stab in there from odd angles with screwdrivers and whatever I could find (my entire toolkit was little more than the '48 Ford original export kit) and just keep stabbing and twisting anf working at it. Figuring out that I needed to fold the hose in half took me a while...
For pumps, support engine with a jack. I use a phonebook as a sort of flexible pad between jack and pan. Oddly, I have never had any actual trouble with the bolt on the inside of the pump.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
VeryTangled

Exit 2X4.

Intro stage right: Phone Book.

Second insight tonight!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

If you don't already have a phonebook, you probably can't get one anymore! Try jamming "the internet white pages" in there instead!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Brendan

Pete, I just boxed up my water pumps and sent them to skip!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Greetings Vic, So you painted/primed the whole tranny case in the red and just the outside in the flat black? Just figuring that out now.

The magic of the gasket shellac is to... Ease assembly? Ease removal? Make hair grow?

-VT/Jeff
Jeff, I followed the advice of several people who are, unlike me, very well versed in transmissions and, they all suggested painting the interior of the case with rustoleum. The outside (black) I just painted to look pretty... and yes, the shellac does all those things you mentioned although, I can't attest to any additional hair growth attributable to the Indian Head...
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Also, just like MMO, Indian Head smells good! You CAN use it on your hair, but then you'll have to get your head sandblasted...
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
peewee2you

Vic, so I don't have to remove top hoses from radiator when jacking up the block? being it's a bolt going thru the mount and pump.just need the pressure taken off of it.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
Gary Tosel

I placed the lower hose section in a bucket of hot water for a time and this will help soften the rubber and make it easier to fold as described. It worked for me!
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #17
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2you View Post
Vic, so I don't have to remove top hoses from radiator when jacking up the block? being it's a bolt going thru the mount and pump.just need the pressure taken off of it.
No, you don't have to mess with the upper hoses, you won't be bringing the engine up high enough to negatively impact anything, just bring it up enough to slide the "donut" motor mount out. You should also check the condition of the motor mounts, if the rubber is hard and/or cracked, they should be replaced.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
Vic Piano

I use a phonebook as a sort of flexible pad between jack and pan.

Bruce, I like the phone book idea, now I'll have to see if I can find one...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
Steves46

With regards to the stainless mounting bolts that Vic mentioned-great recommendation however ensure the bolts are the same length as the originals otherwise you will not get a good seal with the pump. Ask me how I know this. Your local Ace Hardware should have them. Good luck with the change-out. Steve
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
G.M.

You only have to raise the engine LESS than a 1/4 inch. G.M.